'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Oso's Improvement  (Read 3035 times)

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
Oso's Improvement
« on: November 08, 2022, 10:03:20 AM »
I can’t stop thinking about how Oso played last night, the improvements from last year are really impressive. One difference for sure is how he moved without the ball and how Kolek would find him. And yes, Kolek did force it in the late stages of the game, but Tyler’s ability to get the ball to Oso is unbelievable. The biggest difference was how Oso wasn’t scared to initiate contact at the rim. His and-one at the beginning of the game was such a good sign because he’ll go up from there. When I first watched him play I thought he would just be another Luke Fisher who would settle for baby hook shots in the paint, but after last night I have hope. His spin, then up and under, was a good sign for this team and the player development within MU.
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Oso's Improvement
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 10:05:30 AM »
I can’t stop thinking about how Oso played last night, the improvements from last year are really impressive. One difference for sure is how he moved without the ball and how Kolek would find him. And yes, Kolek did force it in the late stages of the game, but Tyler’s ability to get the ball to Oso is unbelievable. The biggest difference was how Oso wasn’t scared to initiate contact at the rim. His and-one at the beginning of the game was such a good sign because he’ll go up from there. When I first watched him play I thought he would just be another Luke Fisher who would settle for baby hook shots in the paint, but after last night I have hope. His spin, then up and under, was a good sign for this team and the player development within MU.

He's way, way, way, more skilled than Theo or Luke.  I'd like to see him get some catches in the wide post and face-up a bit more. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 10:13:19 AM »

I said it in the game thread last night. We will have to see how he holds up against BE bigs.

But his combination of skills/length/athleticism make him an absolute menace against these cupcakes. Like there was zero answer when he was in the game.

And my hope when we play high majors is that while his opponent might be stronger, those key attributes that Oso has will also make him a tough guard for lumbering bigs.

Foul trouble hes gotta try to avoid. But the guy has a lot of ways to score around the hoop.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 10:17:18 AM »
I said it in the game thread last night. We will have to see how he holds up against BE bigs.

But his combination of skills/length/athleticism make him an absolute menace against these cupcakes. Like there was zero answer when he was in the game.

And my hope when we play high majors is that while his opponent might be stronger, those key attributes that Oso has will also make him a tough guard for lumbering bigs.

Foul trouble hes gotta try to avoid. But the guy has a lot of ways to score around the hoop.

Yeah, I am scared/excited to see him against Kalkbrenner and Sanogo.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 10:20:05 AM »
How long before Scoop turns on him....
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 10:23:08 AM »
Oso was listed as a 6'9 guard when he signed.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »
His point guard possession was flawless... give him a chance to go down hill 1-5 possessions per game with his dominant hand. Give him a cutter in Omax or Ross and space with everyone else.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 10:40:04 AM »

[/quote

I share your concern about going up against stronger bigs.

I also wanted to see him shoot and make a 10 to 15 footer.  I thought that would be a part of his game that would take him to a whole other level, especially considering Shaka is going to let him dribble drive from the top of the arc.  If he could keep the defense honest and shoot the ball occasionally it would be a weapon.

He had a great game though last night though.  He will be a tough guard around the hoop.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 10:40:46 AM »
Next step in the evolution is to knock down a jumper. But he was terrific last night.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 10:41:35 AM »
Did anyone shoot 15 footers last night?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 10:41:45 AM »
Next step in the evolution is to knock down a jumper. But he was terrific last night.

Yeah, if he can find a consistent 12 footer it would really open things up in his P&R with Tyler.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 10:43:02 AM »

Nope. Maybe Wrightsil.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 10:43:08 AM »

No.  But be able to shoot period.  Mid range, three point, anything to keep the defense honest. 

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 10:45:24 AM »
No.  But be able to shoot period.  Mid range, three point, anything to keep the defense honest.

I 100% agree. When Markus played the problem was one, he didn't pass, and two, if the 3's were off then we were gonna lose. I don't remember a single game from that season after Joey and Sam, where we won by pushing the ball inside.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 10:58:13 AM »
If Oso can learn to hit a 12-15 foot jumper on regular basis, he is going to be an outstanding college basketball player and possibly NBA player. Not comparing him to Giannis, but a big guy with his skills is hard to find. I definitely see why Shaka wants the ball in his hands as much as possible.

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »

Did you not get the board memo?  No complimenting impressive performances or being optimistic about the team's season.  I don't care that Oso doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, has broad shoulders, a skinny waist, is built like Charles Atlas yet moves like a deer.  He's considered skinny by the board experts and his superior athletic ability will be a liability against other bigs in the Big East.  After all we'll be forced to play their game and they won't have to adjust to our game where our 5 is able to spread the offense out and create awkward matchups against other team's 5's.  Dennis Rodman was 6'7 and 215 lbs at his heaviest and led the NBA in rebounds... therefore athletic, tall, highly-skilled big men with a non-stop motor are liabilities.  Got it?

Also let's ignore that Ben Gold is 6'11 with a nice frame for a freshmen and played super aggressive last night attacking the basket, fighting for rebounds and even blocked a shot.  Rather let's collectively fret that we have no size and no backup to Oso and we're doomed if he ever gets in foul trouble.  :'(

Everyone got it?  No more going off the approved talking points that we're doomed and a NIT is the best we can hope for during this season!  Ok?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 11:43:01 AM by duanewade »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2022, 11:14:36 AM »
Did you not get the board memo?  No complimenting impressive performances or being optimistic about the team's season.  I don't care that Oso doesn't have an ounce of fat on him, has broad shoulders, a skinny waist, is built like Charles Atlas yet moves like a deer.  He's considered skinny by the board experts and his superior athletic ability will be a liability against other bigs in the Big East.   After all we'll be forced to play their game and they won't have to adjust to our game where our 5 is able to spread the offense out and create awkward matchups against other team's 5's.  Dennis Rodman was 6'7 and 215 lbs at his heaviest and led the NBA in rebounds... therefore athletic, tall, highly-skilled big men with a non-stop motor are liabilities.  Got it?

Also let's ignore that Ben Gold is 6'11 with a nice frame for a freshmen and played super aggressive last night attacking the basket, fighting for rebounds and even blocked a shot.  Rather let's collectively fret that we have no size and no backup to Oso and we're doomed if he ever gets in foul trouble.  :'(

Everyone got it?  No more going off the approved talking points that we're doomed and a NIT is the best we can hope for during this season!  Ok?

+1.  Well done Duane!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2022, 11:24:27 AM »
Will be fun to see us take advantage of our quick bigs against Purdue.  We won’t have to wait long!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2022, 12:04:57 PM »
Glad Wojo recruited him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 01:15:06 PM »
His point guard possession was flawless... give him a chance to go down hill 1-5 possessions per game with his dominant hand. Give him a cutter in Omax or Ross and space with everyone else.

Yep. Oso even avoided a charge, as a couple defenders were waiting for him to try to take it in too far, but he didn't take the bait. Instead, did a nice jump stop and passed the ball to an open teammate.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2022, 03:05:34 PM »
That is so passé
Goal is National Championship

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2022, 03:16:42 PM »

Marquette had a Rim & 3 Rate of 96%, last year it was 89%. The "mid" range attempts MU had were floaters by Kam, Stevie, Kolek, and Ross along with 2 hook/push shots from oso. They were 4/6 from "mid range" but all of them were within 10ft.

The only player who is going to take those IMO is Joplin. And he is gonna play 15 minutes some nights and 25 minutes other nights.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2022, 06:58:17 PM »
Do we know if Shaka wants Oso to take the 12-15 footer even if Oso is wide open? I don't recall him being asked that question; or, if he was, ever seeing the answer.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2022, 08:21:59 PM »
Besides Kalky and Dixon is there a decent big in the BEast?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2022, 08:26:31 PM »
Besides Kalky and Dixon is there a decent big in the BEast?

Adama Sanogo at UConn.

feedback