Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 10:48:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[Today at 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mach-E (Rad-Ford) de Sade  (Read 14213 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Mach-E (Rad-Ford) de Sade
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
To be fair, I did not see much of the game, but what I did see was an improvement over opening night is last year. I think the returning guys improved, were more poised and it looked like a group that has played together before. Like TAMU, I really liked our D, but have the same concerns he noted. Overall, from what I saw, a decent opening night.

I noted after the practice that I liked Ross quite a bit and think he will get minutes this year, maybe more than I thought even a couple of weeks ago. As for Joplin, I am not going to get too worried over his performance last night. The real silver lining to me, we have a lot of guys that can step in and get minutes when needed.

Yeah cant worry about Jop after one game.

This team has 4 guys that will be relied on heavily and to beat good teams will probably need 3 of those 4 to be good nightly.

Then we have a lot of guys who can step up and provide support when needed. Last night it was Ross and Stevie. Next game it might be SJ and Jop. So long as we can consistently get good contributions from 2 of the "best of the rest" the potential is there.

A lot of unknowns but the options are there.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2022, 09:12:46 AM »
Yeah cant worry about Jop after one game.

This team has 4 guys that will be relied on heavily and to beat good teams will probably need 3 of those 4 to be good nightly.

Then we have a lot of guys who can step up and provide support when needed. Last night it was Ross and Stevie. Next game it might be SJ and Jop. So long as we can consistently get good contributions from 2 of the "best of the rest" the potential is there.

A lot of unknowns but the options are there.

I didn't think Joplin played with a great deal of energy last night. Floated around the perimeter, took his usual top of the circle 3s, didn't make an impact defensively, etc. We will know more by the end of the month, but the energy level needs to come up.

This team has a lot of options at the guard spot, but I feel it is going to be difficult not to have Stevie out there a good percentage of the time. He makes things happen. Gets deflections, 50/50 balls, rebounds well for his size.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 09:19:47 AM by RJax55 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2022, 09:14:28 AM »
The guards took care of the rebounding last night.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2022, 09:15:26 AM »
I didn't think Joplin played with a great deal of energy last night. Floated around the perimeter, took his usual top of the circle 3s, didn't make an impact defensively, etc. We will know more by the end of the month, but the energy level needs to come up.

This team has a lot of options at the guard spot, but I feel it is going to be difficult not to have Stevie out their a good percentage of the time. He makes things happen. Gets deflections, 50/50 balls, rebounds well for his size.

Agreed about Stevie he uses his body so well.

And sadly(not his fault) might be our second best player aside from Oso at the rim. He uses his body really well. Hopefully some other guys can take not cause thats something we need better at. If the second smallest guy on team can do it. Omax and TK gotta be able to as well.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2022, 09:20:35 AM »

I hope Kam's OK. Backs are tricky things.

I was surprised he was kept out there given the amount he was wincing and clearly trying to stretch something out. He went from being aggressive and looking like he was going to put up 25 pts to a passive non-factor. We need a guy who can get his own points, and he seems to be that guy. Sure hope he is ok and something was just tight.

Sean Jones' performance was a bit disappointing given all the rave reviews he's been getting, but the mistakes he made all seemed to be a matter of first night nerves and moving too quickly. The positive is that the turnovers seemed to all be in situations where he was in position to get someone an easy bucket, and they were the type of play he will make routinely once comfortable rather than fumbling the ball, lobbing it too high, leading too much on a breakaway etc... There were enough flashes that I think he and Mitchell are going to be a fun and disruptive duo to watch.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2022, 09:21:36 AM »
I actually though Ben played well in his few minutes. He certainly defended a lot better than I expected him to and liked his fight to force the jumpball. That attitude will earn him minutes.

Kam looked really good to start the game than it looked like he tweaked something in his back and it held him back the rest of the game

Kolek was overlooking to pass, needed him to call his own number a few more times but some of those dimes were pretty

Sean got a little too excited in his first game, will also need to get better at working around screens, they were coming after him defensively.

The defense was very good. I sweat that 40 of their points were long contested twos. Felt like we really didn't give up any easy buckets in the half court. I am concerned about our transition defense. We don't have a good back line of defenders to erase our mistakes and there were multiple times that we didn't stop the ball in the transition, leading to an attempt at the rim.

Offensively, the major concern is the turnovers. Can't give up 18 to Radford and expect to win. Hoping that is just first game rust that will be shaken off. Sean Jones by himself had four turns.

Ultimately, this was a 21 point blowout with under 6 minutes left. Team lost focus and took their foot off the gas too early. Shaka needs to correct that.

This is an accurate post.  Kolek cannot get into the habit of looking for the one handed (potential highlight dime )whip or pocket pass when he has space to rise and fire.  After about 30 mins of action Radford realized he was either going to look for the slip cutter or fling it to the corner.  He has to be a threat to score against prime time competition.  Additionally, our guards on their blow bys need to be more under control and use the shot fake more.  Or go with power like OMax did on that baseline drive.  We need to be stronger on our finishes in the paint and have better balance in lieu of kamikaze chaos. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2022, 09:29:13 AM »
I think the most disappointing thing regarding TK

And hopefully it was due to SJ's first night jitters and Kam getting a little banged up.

But TK had to basically run the entire offense like he did most of last year which had him not in catch and shoot situations so any shot he did take was the rushed variety.

Love his passing, but would like some other guys help so that he can look for a good shot himself more.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2022, 09:46:59 AM »
What do you mean by, "I sweat that 40 of their points were long contested twos"?

Ha, it was a typo. It was supposed to be "I swear...". Meaning that I don't get too worked up about an opponent hitting a lot of contested long two-pointers.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2022, 09:48:18 AM »
This is an accurate post.  Kolek cannot get into the habit of looking for the one handed (potential highlight dime )whip or pocket pass when he has space to rise and fire.  After about 30 mins of action Radford realized he was either going to look for the slip cutter or fling it to the corner.  He has to be a threat to score against prime time competition.  Additionally, our guards on their blow bys need to be more under control and use the shot fake more.  Or go with power like OMax did on that baseline drive.  We need to be stronger on our finishes in the paint and have better balance in lieu of kamikaze chaos.

So the Kolek issues are the same ones that hurt MU at the close of last season.  Teams figured out what TK likes to do, they took that away, and MU floundered.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
I think the most disappointing thing regarding TK

And hopefully it was due to SJ's first night jitters and Kam getting a little banged up.

But TK had to basically run the entire offense like he did most of last year which had him not in catch and shoot situations so any shot he did take was the rushed variety.

Love his passing, but would like some other guys help so that he can look for a good shot himself more.

That's a really good point.  I think he's much better in catch and shoot than scoring off the dribble.  Part of it is he looks rushed and off balance. 

When Sean Jones figures it out he's going to be very formidable.  You can see it but it will take some time.  His quicks are very evident but once he understands how to change speeds, be more under control and see the floor, the floodgates will open.   Our transition game should be pretty solid even though it wasn't good last night. I like Jones the Younger and Ross.  Two solid athletes with excellent potential.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 10:01:52 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2022, 10:00:41 AM »
So the Kolek issues are the same ones that hurt MU at the close of last season.  Teams figured out what TK likes to do, they took that away, and MU floundered.

Wel you're right and Kolek and the coaching staff should be cognizant of this.  Will they make the proper adjustments? 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2022, 10:03:33 AM »
I’m more optimistic about the team after watching the game last night than I was in the off-season.

They look like they will be very undersized and lacking in talent relative to other high majors, but I think they will win more games than they should based on team cohesiveness and coaching.

The biggest disappointment for me was Joplin as he looked like he had no confidence and I’m not sure what his role other than just shoot. Wrightsil is about what I expected and he looks way in over his head right now. Ellis is redshirting and Itejere looks like he is just going to get walk on minutes this year, so it’s safe to say that the guys Shaka brought in from Texas are off to a very slow start.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2022, 10:11:28 AM »

You do realize they played two closed door exhibitions right?
SECRET
Goal is National Championship

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2022, 10:45:06 AM »

OK, so I assume it has something to do with the Mustang Mach-E, but I still don't get the title...
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »
I’m more optimistic about the team after watching the game last night than I was in the off-season.

They look like they will be very undersized and lacking in talent relative to other high majors, but I think they will win more games than they should based on team cohesiveness and coaching.

The biggest disappointment for me was Joplin as he looked like he had no confidence and I’m not sure what his role other than just shoot. Wrightsil is about what I expected and he looks way in over his head right now. Ellis is redshirting and Itejere looks like he is just going to get walk on minutes this year, so it’s safe to say that the guys Shaka brought in from Texas are off to a very slow start.

If Marquette kept their large lead and won by 19 or more I think we'd all be sitting here raving about the night. One bad stretch dampened things a bit but overall I thought it was a great night.

The concerns are front court production behind Oso. I've seen Joplin enough to know he has more to give, we just have to see him know it too. Wrightsil will have more than what he showed last night because there is no other option. His skillset mirrors Oso in a lot of ways in a smaller body but he'll have to adjust to the pace.  Gold didn't look out of place on the court and a lot of times that is encouraging enough for a Freshman in game 1.

The guard play looked great. The depth there is awesome and may get even deeper if Ellis chooses not to Redshirt.
VIOLENCE!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
I'm concerned that most of the returners played the same way as last year.

Kolek is a great passer but scoring is still a question mark.

Kam is still heavily reliant on 3s. Seven 3FGA, two 2FGA, 0 FT.

O-Max is solid but still a low usage offensive player.

Oso is still a great finisher but has no jumpshot.  And after all of the Point Oso talk, he had just 1 assist.

Stevie looked much better.  The only starter that looked noticeably different.

Joplin still looks like a one dimensional streak shooter.

Newcomers have some potential but have a long way to go to be impact players.  Ross played well and I'm curious to see more of him.

Too early to make a final judgment but really didn't see any unexpected growth.  Steady improvement but that's about it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »
I think the only player on this team that has a chance to get more than a cup of tea in the NBA is Chase Ross.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2022, 12:37:39 PM »
I think the only player on this team that has a chance to get more than a cup of tea in the NBA is Chase Ross.

Absolutely wild take

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2022, 12:42:59 PM »
I'm concerned that most of the returners played the same way as last year.

Kolek is a great passer but scoring is still a question mark.

Kam is still heavily reliant on 3s. Seven 3FGA, two 2FGA, 0 FT.

O-Max is solid but still a low usage offensive player.

Oso is still a great finisher but has no jumpshot.  And after all of the Point Oso talk, he had just 1 assist.

Stevie looked much better.  The only starter that looked noticeably different.

Joplin still looks like a one dimensional streak shooter.

Newcomers have some potential but have a long way to go to be impact players.  Ross played well and I'm curious to see more of him.

Too early to make a final judgment but really didn't see any unexpected growth.  Steady improvement but that's about it.

Improvement at there age is minimal, OMax will never be an Alpha Dog, he will score more just because Lewis and Morsell are gone, but he will never be a 15-16 point player.  Kolek might be a good shooter in practice but once the lights are on, he has shown little.  Ross impressed me, has above average quickness and plays intense D.  Kam will never be a great defender.  Oso is more confident, I am surprised he still does not have a jump shot.  He stated in high school he played outside, curious how he scored then? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2022, 01:10:18 PM »
Re returning players:

Oso looked MUCH better than last season. Quick, confident off the bounce, pulled up and made a nice pass instead of barreling into the defender for a charge, looked more for his shot, finished through contact a couple times, challenged shots without fouling. The only disappointments: two dopey fouls (especially his 4th), which we can't afford, and the missed FTs (though the last 2 obviously had to do with his elbow pain).

Stevie looked every bit a starting college guard, much more comfortable and confident than last season. A dogged defender who never seemed to get tired. Stepped right into a 3 and drilled it, too.

For all the talk of Kolek's improvement, pretty much the same Kolek showed up as last season's model. Passed on a couple chances to shoot floaters or stop-and-pops, bricked a catch-and-shoot 3 after an offensive rebound, and made two late turnovers, but he otherwise looked good on offense and effective on defense. Still, I'm greedy and hoping to see more with his shot to make defenders respect him.

Kam looked like the lead dog ready for an easy 20+ until he hurt his back. Something to watch.

O-Max was the exact same player as last season, and that's fine. Those hoping he'd pull a Justin Lewis ... it doesn't look likely, but he's still an athletic role player who defends hard and does a lot of things pretty well.

Too early to tell for Joplin. Anybody can have a bad game. I mean, if we're gonna go by a 1-game sample, he should never play again, so that's silly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2022, 02:16:44 PM »
Re returning players:

Oso looked MUCH better than last season. Quick, confident off the bounce, pulled up and made a nice pass instead of barreling into the defender for a charge, looked more for his shot, finished through contact a couple times, challenged shots without fouling. The only disappointments: two dopey fouls (especially his 4th), which we can't afford, and the missed FTs (though the last 2 obviously had to do with his elbow pain).

Stevie looked every bit a starting college guard, much more comfortable and confident than last season. A dogged defender who never seemed to get tired. Stepped right into a 3 and drilled it, too.

For all the talk of Kolek's improvement, pretty much the same Kolek showed up as last season's model. Passed on a couple chances to shoot floaters or stop-and-pops, bricked a catch-and-shoot 3 after an offensive rebound, and made two late turnovers, but he otherwise looked good on offense and effective on defense. Still, I'm greedy and hoping to see more with his shot to make defenders respect him.

Kam looked like the lead dog ready for an easy 20+ until he hurt his back. Something to watch.

O-Max was the exact same player as last season, and that's fine. Those hoping he'd pull a Justin Lewis ... it doesn't look likely, but he's still an athletic role player who defends hard and does a lot of things pretty well.

Too early to tell for Joplin. Anybody can have a bad game. I mean, if we're gonna go by a 1-game sample, he should never play again, so that's silly.

OMax had 13 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, and played the most minutes (30) on the team. Not sure why you label him as being "the same as last year".

Also, Kolek shot 1 3-pointer. Nothing to worry about yet with him. His shot will be fine. I also think it's encouraging that he looked so good distributing with what we thought would be limited scoring options around him.
VIOLENCE!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2022, 02:52:48 PM »
Last night exposed many things that bothered us as Warrior Fans. They're well documented in this string.

Reality: This is the first game against an experienced but not very good opponent. Other than practice, our team has had limited chance to play together. They are learning how to mesh. That's the point of early season games.

If we're making the same sloppy mistakes in mid-December, then we have problems and the expectation for a ninth place team is right on. But I watched Shaka coach last night and actually thought he had a good rapport with the team and more than once settled them down. I think we'll be fine. We did, after all, win!

Sometimes, a team gets sloppy because it is confident. Perhaps too confident.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »
During last year's opener we beat SIU Edwardsville (ranked 314 by KenPom at the time) by 11. During that game we:
Trailed SIUE for 9 minutes and 3 seconds in the first 21 minutes of play
Were only up 1 at half
Never led by more than 13 (with 11:45 left in the second half)

This season we beat Radford (ranked 295 by KenPom at the time) by 10. During that game we:
Led coast to coast
Were up 8 at half
Led by 21 (with 5:48 left in the second half)
Went on a 16-0 run at one point (meaning in that short stretch we achieved a bigger lead than we did in the entire game against SIUE)

All that being said, I still don't think we played great but we played well. Just giving some perspective. I think Radford was a blowout against a cupcake where the team took their collective foot off the gas a little too soon. Hopefully Shaka corrects that moving forward because a Big East team would have completed the comeback.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2022, 03:40:09 PM »
Absolutely wild take
21 D1 minutes played, what more do you need to see?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2022, 03:48:39 PM »
TAMU

I have to admit, the opener last year scared me. IMO, last night was a noted improvement against a better opponent. It looked like a better team effort, better poise and confidence. That being said, they need to get better every week.

feedback