[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mach-E (Rad-Ford) de Sade  (Read 14193 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Mach-E (Rad-Ford) de Sade
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2022, 11:05:06 PM »
Believe we swung and missed on a couple.  Another big body would have been helpful for this team this year.  However, Shaka's overriding strategy and theme are to invest in the players in the program and give them the opportunity to develop/get additional playing time. His style of wanting to play fast isn't very conducive to brining in a bulky big, however.

Our backup 5 didn't need to be a "bulky big." With the right skill set, a body type similar to Oso or Kuath would have worked. Even a Jayce Johnson or Matt Heldt type to alter a few shots, grab a few boards and commit a few fouls would have been fine.

With all those transfers out there, I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that Shaka didn't get one. We'll be holding our breath on Oso's foul situation all season.

It's OK to be super happy that Shaka is our coach, and to praise him for his good work, but still wish he had brought in some more of what we needed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2022, 11:11:08 PM »
Our backup 5 didn't need to be a "bulky big." With the right skill set, a body type similar to Oso or Kuath would have worked. Even a Jayce Johnson or Matt Heldt type to alter a few shots, grab a few boards and commit a few fouls would have been fine.

With all those transfers out there, I'm surprised (and a little disappointed) that Shaka didn't get one. We'll be holding our breath on Oso's foul situation all season.

It's OK to be super happy that Shaka is our coach, and to praise him for his good work, but still wish he had brought in some more of what we needed.

I think we have to wait and see what Zach brings to the table.  He's a little smaller and lighter than I hoped but clearly Shaka likes him.  Let's just see how he plays after s few more games. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2022, 11:16:58 PM »
I thought there was more good than bad tonight. Radford hit some tough-ass shots, and MU missed bunnies and open threes. Still, it was a few really bad minutes from being a 25 pt win.

Gotta have more from Jop. And Wrightsil was surprisingly shook. Hopefully it was first night jitters for him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2022, 11:21:09 PM »
I think we have to wait and see what Zach brings to the table.  He's a little smaller and lighter than I hoped but clearly Shaka likes him.  Let's just see how he plays after s few more games.

Fair enough. Based on what Shaka had said just a few days ago about Wrightsil, he was about what I expected in Game 1. Could be several weeks before he's ready to contribute much. We'll see.

I thought there was more good than bad tonight. Radford hit some tough-ass shots, and MU missed bunnies and open threes. Still, it was a few really bad minutes from being a 25 pt win.

Gotta have more from Jop. And Wrightsil was surprisingly shook. Hopefully it was first night jitters for him.

Agree about Joplin. Re Wrightsil, see above.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2022, 11:34:12 PM »
Fair enough. Based on what Shaka had said just a few days ago about Wrightsil, he was about what I expected in Game 1. Could be several weeks before he's ready to contribute much. We'll see.

Agree about Joplin. Re Wrightsil, see above.

We desperately need both of these guys to contribute.  I don't see our other 5's doing a whole lot this season.  Essentially Shaka chose ZW to help mitigate the loss of JLew.  No one expects him to be a 1st team BEast guy but he can't be a complete non factor.  I fully expect Jop will be better than we saw tonight.  It nothing else Wrightsil has to rebound and defend.  If he's simply not BEast caliber it would be a monumental disappointment.   

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2022, 11:39:55 PM »
  It nothing else Wrightsil has to rebound and defend.

He didn't get back after OMax hit a three, and gave up a layup. Immediately got hooked and sat the last 14 minutes.

Lots of lessons to be learned for a few guys tonight. I know with the NET margin carries weight, but they might learn more from tonight than a blowout.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2022, 11:43:37 PM »

I agree.  I’m not down on this team at all after that game.  There were a lot of positives.  I worry about the front court depth like everyone else though that will be the Achilles heal this season. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2022, 11:46:07 PM »
And next year unless he gets enough kids to leave to get a big.  Is idea of recruiting skinny bigs will not work in the Big East!

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2022, 11:53:22 PM »
And next year unless he gets enough kids to leave to get a big.  Is idea of recruiting skinny bigs will not work in the Big East!

It will be interesting to see Itijere’s development over the course of this season. He may test Shaka’s loyalty.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2022, 12:06:05 AM »
I actually though Ben played well in his few minutes. He certainly defended a lot better than I expected him to and liked his fight to force the jumpball. That attitude will earn him minutes.

Kam looked really good to start the game than it looked like he tweaked something in his back and it held him back the rest of the game

Kolek was overlooking to pass, needed him to call his own number a few more times but some of those dimes were pretty

Sean got a little too excited in his first game, will also need to get better at working around screens, they were coming after him defensively.

The defense was very good. I sweat that 40 of their points were long contested twos. Felt like we really didn't give up any easy buckets in the half court. I am concerned about our transition defense. We don't have a good back line of defenders to erase our mistakes and there were multiple times that we didn't stop the ball in the transition, leading to an attempt at the rim.

Offensively, the major concern is the turnovers. Can't give up 18 to Radford and expect to win. Hoping that is just first game rust that will be shaken off. Sean Jones by himself had four turns.

Ultimately, this was a 21 point blowout with under 6 minutes left. Team lost focus and took their foot off the gas too early. Shaka needs to correct that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2022, 06:35:51 AM »
Game one and the team got a win. Winning is a good thing . Coaching staff will use the film to make corrections  and move on to Game  Two.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2022, 06:45:39 AM »
There was a lot of positive moments, but the turnovers were an issue.  Radford was not a bad team. They hit some tough shots, kept fighting, and had some nice moments, too.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2022, 06:46:45 AM »
I actually though Ben played well in his few minutes. He certainly defended a lot better than I expected him to and liked his fight to force the jumpball. That attitude will earn him minutes.

Kam looked really good to start the game than it looked like he tweaked something in his back and it held him back the rest of the game

Kolek was overlooking to pass, needed him to call his own number a few more times but some of those dimes were pretty

Sean got a little too excited in his first game, will also need to get better at working around screens, they were coming after him defensively.

The defense was very good. I sweat that 40 of their points were long contested twos. Felt like we really didn't give up any easy buckets in the half court. I am concerned about our transition defense. We don't have a good back line of defenders to erase our mistakes and there were multiple times that we didn't stop the ball in the transition, leading to an attempt at the rim.

Offensively, the major concern is the turnovers. Can't give up 18 to Radford and expect to win. Hoping that is just first game rust that will be shaken off. Sean Jones by himself had four turns.

Ultimately, this was a 21 point blowout with under 6 minutes left. Team lost focus and took their foot off the gas too early. Shaka needs to correct that.

Some great points, Wiz.

What do you mean by, "I sweat that 40 of their points were long contested twos"?

Re Kolek, there were 2 times I remember talking to the TV screen saying, "You gotta shoot that." And when he took the quick 3 after an offensive rebound with a full shot clock and about 3-4 minutes left, I said: "No, don't shoot that." Played a really good floor game until he followed his teammates' lead and made two bad passes near the end. He was really good on D, too, especially during our run.

I hope Kam's OK. Backs are tricky things.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2022, 06:59:49 AM »
There was a lot of positive moments, but the turnovers were continue to be an issue.  Radford was not a bad team. They hit some tough shots, kept fighting, and had some nice moments, too.
FIFY
Goal is National Championship

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2022, 07:08:02 AM »
Just glad they won.
Improve and move on.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2022, 07:37:31 AM »
Just glad they won.
Improve and move on.
Unacceptable COLE statement 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »

Why is that?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2022, 07:58:10 AM »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2022, 08:01:10 AM »
Remember Coach Wooden's phrase "play quick but don't hurry?" In a quest to play quick, I saw a lot of hurrying last night. Over-dribbling. Bad passing. Missed lay-ups.

Young teams do this a lot, but eventually they will figure this out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2022, 08:01:31 AM »
Because Marquette stinks
We won't beat Depaul.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2022, 08:01:53 AM »
18 turnovers, 45.8% FG% and 26% from three, getting beat again in transition points say differently.

You do realize they played two closed door exhibitions right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2022, 08:16:02 AM »
To the folks who are certain that a 97-48 public exhibition win over the Sisters of the Poor would have been better than closed scrimmages against good D1 teams ...

How do you know that if we walloped the Sisters of the Poor at Fiserv instead of scrapping against Mizzou for a couple hours, we wouldn't have lost yesterday due to lack of having been tested against good competition?

To point at last night's sloppy play and say, "Because no exhibitions" ... well, my freshman Logic prof might have taken issue with that.

Now, maybe there's a way we could have done both closed scrimmages and a public exhibition, and sure, that might have worked best of all. I don't know if that would have been possible or not.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2022, 08:20:07 AM »
This astounding logic is popped the moment I point to those coaches putting us 9th last year as well.

Well we played like the 9th placed team at the end of last season. Perhaps making the NCAA and winning one or two is the best we can hope for.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2022, 08:26:47 AM »
To be fair, I did not see much of the game, but what I did see was an improvement over opening night is last year. I think the returning guys improved, were more poised and it looked like a group that has played together before. Like TAMU, I really liked our D, but have the same concerns he noted. Overall, from what I saw, a decent opening night.

I noted after the practice that I liked Ross quite a bit and think he will get minutes this year, maybe more than I thought even a couple of weeks ago. As for Joplin, I am not going to get too worried over his performance last night. The real silver lining to me, we have a lot of guys that can step in and get minutes when needed.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2022, 08:33:16 AM »
Game one and the team got a win. Winning is a good thing . Coaching staff will use the film to make corrections  and move on to Game  Two.

Pretty sure sane rational posts like this are against the TOS of scoop!