[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East 2024 Offseason  (Read 469033 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results
« Reply #5900 on: March 17, 2024, 05:27:19 PM »
I like the Bracket that all the Big East Teams are in.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
Re: Big East 23-24 Tournament Results
« Reply #5901 on: March 17, 2024, 05:33:16 PM »
So like 90% of NYC? ;D
[/quBTW.

Picking on the New York Post? Why just them? All of the media is perverted, including the Post.  All of it. If you trust one side or the other, you are living a false reality my friend. Trust only the BIBLE.
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5902 on: March 17, 2024, 05:43:09 PM »
Seton Hall in First Four out. They screwed themselves by not getting a signature non conference win.

Johnnies got hurt by Bid Thieves.

Nova screwed the Big East by losing the 3 Big 5 games. 

Providence did well all year without Bryce Hopkins

X got unlikely with losing Freemantle and Hunter before the season started.

---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5903 on: March 17, 2024, 05:50:38 PM »
Interesting conversation with Committee Chairman. Said it was the toughest process in many many years with all the Big Thieves.

Shows how important Non Conference is to staying off the bubble.
            ---Al McGuire

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #5904 on: March 17, 2024, 06:10:32 PM »
Interesting conversation with Committee Chairman. Said it was the toughest process in many many years with all the Big Thieves.

We salute the Committee Chairman for a very tough job done Well.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5905 on: March 17, 2024, 09:50:35 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5906 on: March 17, 2024, 10:14:52 PM »
Seton Hall in First Four out. They screwed themselves by not getting a signature non conference win.

Johnnies got hurt by Bid Thieves.

Nova screwed the Big East by losing the 3 Big 5 games. 

Providence did well all year without Bryce Hopkins

X got unlikely with losing Freemantle and Hunter before the season started.

You are completely missing the central problems-DP and GT. THEY are the ones that "screwed the Big East" by being essentially cupcakes masquerading as BE conference members. Not Nova. Not any of the other teams. DP and GT. The other 9 BE teams played four games against those two embarrassments and as a result had their NET dragged down.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5907 on: March 17, 2024, 10:19:08 PM »
You are completely missing the central problems-DP and GT. THEY are the ones that "screwed the Big East" by being essentially cupcakes masquerading as BE conference members. Not Nova. Not any of the other teams. DP and GT. The other 9 BE teams played four games against those two embarrassments and as a result had their NET dragged down.

Disagree.  Other conferences have proven that clobbering Q3 opponents is fine for NET. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5908 on: March 17, 2024, 10:27:54 PM »

How much money does the conference lose out on having 2 or 3 less teams in?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5909 on: March 17, 2024, 10:29:23 PM »
How much money does the conference lose out on having 2 or 3 less teams in?

Lots.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #5910 on: March 18, 2024, 07:57:38 AM »
Disagree.  Other conferences have proven that clobbering Q3 opponents is fine for NET.

Yeah. I need to mostly walk my post back. Focusing just on DePaul with a NET in the 300's, they didn't help anyone in the BE. As has been shown in the DP/GT thread, the teams that didn't get an invite could have scheduled (and performed) better in OOC.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5911 on: March 18, 2024, 08:04:52 AM »
Pitino says NET is fraudulent

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/sports/rick-pitino-rails-on-fraudulent-march-madness-metrics-with-st-johns-out/

Pitino says no to NIT

Don't lose to Michigan and Boston College then.

Honestly, I didn't realize how bad they were OOC. They really have little room to b*tch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5912 on: March 18, 2024, 12:31:16 PM »
Shaka pointing out the middle class in Big East got hurt by U Conn great year and DePaul bad year.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/18/sports/depauls-worst-year-ever-led-to-big-east-snubs-shaka-smart/
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5913 on: March 18, 2024, 12:35:47 PM »
Don't lose to Michigan and Boston College then.

Honestly, I didn't realize how bad they were OOC. They really have little room to b*tch.

Left unsaid about the OOC results is the impact of the portal and how long it takes to gel with near complete roster turnover (with a bunch of transfers from different systems). Roster continuity matters.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5914 on: March 18, 2024, 01:19:24 PM »
Left unsaid about the OOC results is the impact of the portal and how long it takes to gel with near complete roster turnover (with a bunch of transfers from different systems). Roster continuity matters.

Agree, but didn't Pitino all but chase off most of the players from the previous regime and choose to rebuild through the portal?

I mean, he would have used the portal heavily anyway, but he made some philosophical choices.

I have a hard time feeling too sorry for any team that, if they just won another game or two, they'd have not had to beyotch because they'd have been in. The old "control what you can control" thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5915 on: March 18, 2024, 01:44:40 PM »
Pitino opting out saying he is going to focus on Portal

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/sports/rick-pitino-rails-on-fraudulent-march-madness-metrics-with-st-johns-out/

Crean outraged at Teams declining NIT invite. 

https://nypost.com/2024/03/18/sports/furious-tom-crean-goes-off-on-teams-declining-nit-invite/

What Crean is missing is with Portal the way it is now, a team can completely turnover ever year. So his logic of working with players doesn't make sense for teams that are going to do a wholesale change of roster.

---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5916 on: March 18, 2024, 01:57:53 PM »
Pitino opting out saying he is going to focus on Portal

Crean outraged at Teams declining NIT invite. 

https://nypost.com/2024/03/18/sports/furious-tom-crean-goes-off-on-teams-declining-nit-invite/

What Crean is missing is with Portal the way it is now, a team can completely turnover ever year. So his logic of working with players doesn't make sense for teams that are going to do a wholesale change of roster.
Hmmm, the current players are being penalized in a case like SJU…..?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5917 on: March 18, 2024, 02:00:19 PM »
According to The Athletic's model, MU has a 1.4% chance of winning the tournament, 3.7% chance of making the finals, 9.1% chance of making the Final Four, 23.4% chance of making the Elite 8, 46.3% chance of making the Sweet 16 and 86.&% chance of winning Friday.
Has WKU has the 15 seed most likely to win.

Seems down on MU and strangely high on the WCC (St. Mary's and Gonzaga with a 13.1% and 9.4% chance of making the Final Four, respectively).
Also has Tennessee as the third mostly likely to win it all and make the Final Four. The model apparently wasn't fed Rick Barnes' record in March.

https://theathletic.com/5351206/2024/03/18/ncaa-tournament-projections-model/

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #5918 on: March 18, 2024, 03:05:05 PM »
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that the conference hasn't responded to the snubbing(whether real or perceived).  Obviously there isn't much Val or the BE can do after the fact to change anything, but I do think showing member institutions that you have their back is important.  In their statement, I would also push for selection criteria to be less ambiguous too.

The most frustrating aspect of the bubble ever year is pointing to specific criteria for one team's resume while ignoring it for another's resume.  If you're going to value metrics, then use them for everyone and not just some.  I heard the chairman yesterday point to a couple MW schools metrics(Colorado St and Boise St) while ignoring St Johns who has better metrics than both.  If you're going to value Q1 wins, then take teams who have more Q1 wins(SH and Prov) before taking one's with less(Dayton, Mich St., and VA).  Dayton doesn't even have a single win over a tournament team.  And lastly if you're gonna value non-con scheduling and wins, don't put half of the Mountain West in who played few games of quality outside of their conference.  The Big East is right to be pissed about the snubbing, but the ham-handed nature of the selection process is only going to lead to calls for expansion of the tournament which I think everyone agrees is a bad idea.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #5919 on: March 18, 2024, 03:09:54 PM »
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that the conference hasn't responded to the snubbing(whether real or perceived).  Obviously there isn't much Val or the BE can do after the fact to change anything, but I do think showing member institutions that you have their back is important.  In their statement, I would also push for selection criteria to be less ambiguous too.

The most frustrating aspect of the bubble ever year is pointing to specific criteria for one team's resume while ignoring it for another's resume.  If you're going to value metrics, then use them for everyone and not just some.  I heard the chairman yesterday point to a couple MW schools metrics(Colorado St and Boise St) while ignoring St Johns who has better metrics than both.  If you're going to value Q1 wins, then take teams who have more Q1 wins(SH and Prov) before taking one's with less(Dayton, Mich St., and VA).  Dayton doesn't even have a single win over a tournament team.  And lastly if you're gonna value non-con scheduling and wins, don't put half of the Mountain West in who played few games of quality outside of their conference.  The Big East is right to be pissed about the snubbing, but the ham-handed nature of the selection process is only going to lead to calls for expansion of the tournament which I think everyone agrees is a bad idea.

The conference should have issued a press release as follows:

"F*** 'Em"

• All American
« Reply #5920 on: March 18, 2024, 03:17:10 PM »

The selection criteria really aren't that ambiguous. Otherwise why would the 200 brackets a part of Bracket Matrix get almost everything correct?  Of the 200 brackets, all but two of the schools were listed on 190+. Texas A&M on 167 and Virginia on 20. (UVa is an obvious head scratcher.)

Schedule tough non-conference games. Win most of them. Perform well in conference.

And the conference shouldn't say anything because the reasons SJU and SHU were excluded were pretty obvious. What Pitino wants to for the committee to ignore the beginning of the year and look at the latest results. Well unfortunately that's not how it works.  The late season eye-test can't cancel out your horrid start.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5921 on: March 18, 2024, 03:20:41 PM »
The selection criteria really aren't that ambiguous. Otherwise why would the 200 brackets a part of Bracket Matrix get almost everything correct?  Of the 200 brackets, all but two of the schools were listed on 190+. Texas A&M on 167 and Virginia on 20. (UVa is an obvious head scratcher.)

Schedule tough non-conference games. Win most of them. Perform well in conference.

And the conference shouldn't say anything because the reasons SJU and SHU were excluded were pretty obvious. What Pitino wants to for the committee to ignore the beginning of the year and look at the latest results. Well unfortunately that's not how it works.  The late season eye-test can't cancel out your horrid start.

Michigan State should be staying home, you can't change my mind on this.

• All American
« Reply #5922 on: March 18, 2024, 03:22:35 PM »
Michigan State should be staying home, you can't change my mind on this.

LOL, I am not planning to!

We can discuss whether or not the criteria they are using is wrong, but it certainly isn't all that ambiguous.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #5923 on: March 18, 2024, 03:27:36 PM »
I don't think the committee is doing itself any favors when they come out and say things like they discounted SHs win against UConn because Clingan was hurt.  He got hurt in the 2nd half after SH already had a decent lead. Just keep your mouth shut about the specifics and say that overall their resume wasn't good enough.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #5924 on: March 18, 2024, 03:28:35 PM »

My plan to show the committee up is by getting 2 or 3 Big East Teams in the Final Four and a BE team win the national championship.
Also, do the same with the NIT even if it's just the NIT.