[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scrimmage vs Missouri in Chicago tomorrow (10/29)  (Read 23357 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Scrimmage vs Missouri in Chicago tomorrow (10/29)
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
While I agree that TyKo is one of the most important pieces on this years team, I can see where the idea that he is the first replaceable starting lineup G comes from.

In this context, we are talking about a lineup with OMax at the 3, Jop/Wrightsil at the 4, and Oso at the 5, so a two guard lineup.

If one were to assume that Kam Jones stars on this team, either as leading or second leading scorer (which is a fair assessment at this point), AND TyKo struggles mightily with his shooting while Stevie or Sean Jones start to take the game by storm it would seem more logical that Tyler would be the guy that heads to the bench.

In most cases, I’d argue that in a two guard lineup Tyler and Kam are mortal locks to start, and continue to start the entire season. However, I’d say that it’s more conceivable that if one were to get replaced in the starting 5- again in a two guard starting lineup- it would by Tyler and not Kam. I do think that the first change, if needed, would be to a 3 guard starting lineup with Stevie/Sean, TyKo, and Kam.

Let’s not forget that Tyler lost plenty of his minutes later in the season last year as he faded, so it’s not that far fetched.
I will say though that if Tyler does lose his starting spot it’s probably a bad sign for Marquettes season as a whole
I do not think the context is correct, because the starters will be Oso, Omax, Kolek and Kam. Wrightsil or Joplin would lose out if Sean Jones is the real deal. It will not be Kolek.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2022, 05:59:04 PM »
Kolek is the least likely to lose his starting position this season, assuming he’s healthy.

Unless Shaka wants to play mind games with him
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2022, 06:07:58 PM »
Is this amateur hour?  Never mind that is 24/7 for this board? 

Who ever said anything about Kam Jones?  He’s definitely not a full-time 1.

If Sean jones is the best point that helps us win the most games then he should get the lion share of the minutes. If kolek is so be it but doesn’t mean it should be guaranteed it if we lose two games in a row. The bench is the best coach there is.

Now go back to your computer and find a new silly stat. In meantime let me know when you want to play one on one as I guarantee I’ll beat you without my calculator.

::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2022, 10:35:52 PM »
Unless Shaka wants to play mind games with him

Shaka has Worts, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2022, 10:43:26 PM »
Sean Jones and David Joplin have very high ceilings.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2022, 12:47:44 AM »
Dr. B

I agree on Joplin and Sean Jones. Over the past two months I have had a number of guys that are basketball guys touting both Sean and Joplin to me numerous times. I love Sean, but beginning to believe that Joplin is going to be the real deal.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 01:42:07 AM by Goose »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2022, 09:22:10 AM »
So has the narrative changed from preseason possible NBA talent OMax taking a Justin sized leap to DavidJop now taking that leap??

I will say that despite there not being a ton of actual visibility this preseason, there is quite a bit of hype around a team projected to finish so low in conference, and that’s a good thing.

Can’t wait til the ball is tipped!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »
Doctor V

I am still very high on OMax and did not have extremely high expectations for Joplin going into the season until I started to hear very positive reports on his development. I noted after the practice last week that OMax did nothing special, but still have high hopes that he makes a nice leap this season. As for Joplin, I am saying that it looks like his upside is quite high, but it might be this season or a year from now.

My expectations for this year are higher than they were a year ago. At this time last year, I believed that MU would have a bid locked up in late Feb and not be a bubble team. I believe we will get a bid and be a higher seed than last season. Last year Lewis was a big part of the great run and I think it will be a number of guys being part of a surprising season.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2022, 10:05:35 AM »
I’m going to be cautiously optimistic about Joplin. I remember when Akanno was playing great in Pro-Am’s against NBA guys and never panned out.

If his defense has improved that allows him to stay on the court, I think that provides a lot of upside to our chances this year.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2022, 10:09:13 AM »
So has the narrative changed from preseason possible NBA talent OMax taking a Justin sized leap to DavidJop now taking that leap??

I will say that despite there not being a ton of actual visibility this preseason, there is quite a bit of hype around a team projected to finish so low in conference, and that’s a good thing.

Omax taking the NBA/near NBA leap is 100% predicated on his defensive ability, his size, and his rather high FT%. He is 6'8" 230. Can guard 1-5 at an NCAA level. 1-4 at an NBA level (but they play small ball now). He shot 82% from the line and 33% from 3 in conference play meaning his shot coachable to every NBA coach. He basically out defended the BIG10 defensive player of the year last year. He is both a laterally and vertically athlete. He has the body control to be a good slasher.

Joplin's great i like him he has a way to go from the time we last saw him. He is 6-7 220 ish. Can create off the dribble well. His strength and shooting ability are his strengths, even though his shooting last year wasn't the best. He is a good but not an overwhelming athlete. His good enough horizontally to be a college starter, but i don't feel he is elite. I also doubt he is as strong at defending vertically. I just don't want him defending a guard or a center yet until i see it.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2022, 10:10:35 AM »
Here we go again comparing Joplin’s hype/expectations to Dexter’s.

Anyone who was excited about Dexter based off an edited video of a pickup game was delusional. As buzz once said about Dwight Burke “he just ain’t that good”

You could see last year that Jop belonged and had skill. This year he’ll prove it with a much more consistent role.

I have much higher expectations for Jop than Omax

Bring back FFP!!!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2022, 10:16:33 AM »
Here we go again comparing Joplin’s hype/expectations to Dexter’s.

Anyone who was excited about Dexter based off an edited video of a pickup game was delusional. As buzz once said about Dwight Burke “he just ain’t that good”

You could see last year that Jop belonged and had skill. This year he’ll prove it with a much more consistent role.

I have much higher expectations for Jop than Omax

As a scorer this year, sure i can see it As a long term basketball player, this is a guess. As and overall basketball player this year, Omax gets more minutes this year baring something wild.

We still don't know if the 5th starter is Joplin or Writsil and i get the argument for each. Personal opinion you probably want to play Writsil with Kam Jones, and Stevie with Joplin. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2022, 10:20:50 AM »
I say that because I think we know what Omax is. He’s a solid role player who will play the majority of minutes cuz he’s pretty good at defense and he has flashes on offense but IMO he’s very inconsistent. I don’t really see a huge jump, I think he’ll have a similar season to last year

I think Joplin makes a huge jump and becomes a go to guy. Expectation wise, mine are greater for him because I expect more from him.

This is all speculation and guesses. We’ll find out soon
Bring back FFP!!!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2022, 10:25:48 AM »
Jop will show huge growth.  OMax will be better than last year...same for TK.  Oso worries me a bit...he's what we have...love the kid...but he'll need to rebound and play defense at a high level.  Kam is going to be the guy.   Will be interesting to see what Shaka does when Oso isn't in the game.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2022, 10:28:10 AM »
Doctor V

I am still very high on OMax and did not have extremely high expectations for Joplin going into the season until I started to hear very positive reports on his development. I noted after the practice last week that OMax did nothing special, but still have high hopes that he makes a nice leap this season. As for Joplin, I am saying that it looks like his upside is quite high, but it might be this season or a year from now.

My expectations for this year are higher than they were a year ago. At this time last year, I believed that MU would have a bid locked up in late Feb and not be a bubble team. I believe we will get a bid and be a higher seed than last season. Last year Lewis was a big part of the great run and I think it will be a number of guys being part of a surprising season.

Brother Goose:

My sentiments exactly.

panda

• All American
« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »
Joplin's struggles last season on the defensive end are not atypical from a freshman. He is mobile/athletic/strong enough to succeed on that side of the floor, especially under Shaka's tutelage. I don't expect him to be a liability defensively this year which will allow his big time offensive potential to flourish.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »
I am higher on Omax than Joplin based on what was shown last year.  Joplin has farther to go to break out.   I think Jop plays 20+ minutes.  I think Omax plays close to 30 because of his size and versatility.    I think there will be games where Jop goes for 20 and Omax still does more to help the team win.   I also think there will be games where Joplin carries the team.  Can't wait to start watching instead of guessing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »
As a scorer this year, sure i can see it As a long term basketball player, this is a guess. As and overall basketball player this year, Omax gets more minutes this year baring something wild.

We still don't know if the 5th starter is Joplin or Writsil and i get the argument for each. Personal opinion you probably want to play Writsil with Kam Jones, and Stevie with Joplin.

Shaka has mentioned that Wrightsil is behind due to his injury and surgery.  I imagine this means that Zach has some work to do before he gets minutes.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »

It is funny that there was like a 2-3 month long push on this board where a ton of guys just started saying Omax was going to breakout and become the next Justin. Then it just seemed to disappear and now everyone seems much more reserved on his prospects. Just an observation

Goose

• All American
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2022, 11:52:51 AM »
Hound

I still think OMax has a big year, and he would be my pick for team MVP.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2022, 12:00:35 PM »
I'm pretty certain that OMax will log more minutes than and be a more valuable player this season. I've heard great things from people who know ball about Joplin's offense. I haven't heard those people talking up his defense. Jop will get minutes for his offense but Shaka values defense. You have to defend in order to play for him. I think Jop has made progress on the defensive end but is still not to the level it needs to be. Still, Jop should play major minutes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2022, 12:14:50 PM »
Student journalists are saying the starters for the Loyola Scrimmage was Tyler Kolek, Stevie Mitchell, Kam Jones, O-Max, and Oso. But i also heard from a second hand that another player said Omax is playing the 3 now.

Weird.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2022, 12:37:29 PM »
In the final 9 games of the season. Kolek shot horrifically. 29% from 2. 35% from 3.

Wasn’t quite 35%, but wouldn’t call that horrific

Truth be told, Kolek shot 43.9% eFG% in the last 9 games compared to 38.9% in all games prior to the last nine
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:40:36 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2022, 01:18:16 PM »
Wasn’t quite 35%, but wouldn’t call that horrific

Truth be told, Kolek shot 43.9% eFG% in the last 9 games compared to 38.9% in all games prior to the last nine

I used hoop explorer and had a filter for garbage time to be thrown out. It appeared to be 35.5% form three and 44.8% efg.

My point was just that Kolek in our worst point of the season, wasn't even the worst of our projected starting guards in that stretch. Someone tried to say that Kolek using the last 9 games was on the hot seat in our starting lineup, when that couldn't be further from the truth.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 02:04:27 PM by jfp61 »