Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Mississippi State Preview  (Read 3739 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] Mississippi State Preview
« on: October 19, 2022, 07:11:35 AM »
It was an interesting scheduling decision to what look like the clear two best teams in Fort Myers on the same side of the bracket, but Marquette will open their exempt tournament with another team that could be in the mix for an NCAA bid come March. Cracked Sidewalks looks at Chris Jans and his Bulldogs.

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/10/mississippi-state-preview-2022-23.html?m=1
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Mississippi State Preview
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 07:48:11 AM »
Thanks Brew.  Reminds me of our team with all of its “ifs”. 

That Maui reference was a good one.  I remember watching that Butler game at a bar with non-Marquette people and it killed me.  Lots of laughs at my expense.  It was great to go elite that year and watch the sweet sixteen against Miami with the same jackasses.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 08:35:00 AM »
It was an interesting scheduling decision to what look like the clear two best teams in Fort Myers on the same side of the bracket, but Marquette will open their exempt tournament with another team that could be in the mix for an NCAA bid come March. Cracked Sidewalks looks at Chris Jans and his Bulldogs.

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/10/mississippi-state-preview-2022-23.html?m=1

KenPom has this matchup as the best team vs. the 3rd best team and the other side of the bracket the 2nd best vs. the 4th best.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 08:51:09 AM »
KenPom has this matchup as the best team vs. the 3rd best team and the other side of the bracket the 2nd best vs. the 4th best.

Pomeroy is a big outlier on Utah. Their roster is just not very good. They are 90 in Haslametrics, 104 in EvanMiya, and 131 in T-Rank.

Marquette, conversely, is 75, 70, & 53 in those systems. Regardless of your one data point, the metric average has Marquette at 68.5 and Utah at 99.3. Safe to say there's a strong consensus that we're the better team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 06:39:58 AM »

I asked Pomeroy about this. He said the likely reason his model has Utah where they are at is because they finished 44th two years ago. From that team, only Brandon Carlson is back. So players like Timmy Allen (Texas), Pelle Larsson (Arizona), and Alfonso Plummer (graduated from Illinois) are still factoring into their 2022-23 ranking.

Considering that recent program continuity had Utah at #44 while Wojo's last team finished #83 it makes his model easier to understand, but it does make me wonder if he's giving too much credit to those past performances through coaching changes and roster turnover.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 06:39:18 PM »
Not sure how many games Mississippi State has played and its been a month since the preview has been discussed so I was wondering if anything has changed looking forward to Monday's game. You stat guys know better than me. I thought we should have won that game against Purdue as we played really well. Do we match up better to Mississippi State than Purdue?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 06:54:33 PM »
I'll update the preview for game day. Haven't got there yet.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 10:01:34 PM »
Matchup is probably worse for Marquette than Purdue was based on film I've seen. Not sure what the calculators will say.

Mississippi State is old, 8 Seniors, and built like a football team.  It is a neutral game rather than away which could obviously make a world of a difference and Mississippi State hasn't played anyone that has challenged them yet to this point.

Haslametrics has Mississippi State the favorite at 73.24 to 67.77

I think Mississippi State probably pulls out the win, but it would potentially be a huge swing game for Marquette's season should they find a way to pull off the upset.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 07:09:02 AM »
It's a style disparity. Both teams want to apply pressure, but Marquette wants to get up and down the floor and shoot threes, MSU wants to grind the game to a halt and pound teams inside. I could see Marquette breaking out more zone because this is a team you would love to get into a shooting contest with, especially if Jones and Jop can get cooking. MSU's defense has been dominant. Absolutely dominant, but they also haven't played anyone yet. Still a bit irritated this is the Fort Myers opener, because it is very clearly the two best teams in the field.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 07:16:52 AM »
If Marquette loses this game, Shaka is officially on the hot seat
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2022, 07:26:32 AM »
At least we know we’ll be getting one win next week then.

I’m not sure we want to get into a shooting contest with anyone.

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2022, 08:29:05 AM »
Will be a much different challenge than Purdue. I think that Mississippi state is better than Purdue on a neutral floor.

Tolu smith is one of the better big men in the country and is a much more dynamic scorer than edey. Long on the wing and they have tons of guard depth who can get after it defensively.

I think we win if we slow down Tolu. Problem is they have much better secondary options than Purdue which will present a greater challenge.

Mu by 3

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2022, 10:15:43 AM »
It's a style disparity. Both teams want to apply pressure, but Marquette wants to get up and down the floor and shoot threes, MSU wants to grind the game to a halt and pound teams inside. I could see Marquette breaking out more zone because this is a team you would love to get into a shooting contest with, especially if Jones and Jop can get cooking. MSU's defense has been dominant. Absolutely dominant, but they also haven't played anyone yet. Still a bit irritated this is the Fort Myers opener, because it is very clearly the two best teams in the field.
You're going to make Muggsy nervous about getting up and down the floor & shooting 3's
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 10:17:25 AM »
If Marquette loses this game, Shaka is officially on the hot seat
I've heard they will start a go fund me to buyout his contract if we lose.
Goal is National Championship

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 10:29:16 AM »
it's all going to come down to who wants it more and who can put the ball in the hole.  hopefully we come out with our game faces on and take out our frustrations in the sunshine state and come home with the "W"
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
it's all going to come down to who wants it more and who can put the ball in the hole.  hopefully we come out with our game faces on and take out our frustrations in the sunshine state and come home with the "W"

Lol
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2022, 12:53:39 PM »
Mississippi State is 27 in KenPom

51st - Offense
15th - Defense

I liked the odds better against Purdue, but that's why you play the games!
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2022, 01:17:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/XVdJcf4nf14

Brief look at our next opponent from their last game against South Dakota.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2022, 07:18:31 PM »
Mississippi State -3.5

VIOLENCE!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2022, 07:54:04 AM »
We shall see.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2022, 08:57:14 AM »
If Kam and Jop hit threes and we get a few from others we might pull this out.  Go Marquette!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2022, 09:12:27 AM »
I don't know that this team has a shot against a top 15 defense, but who knows.

Huge resume game. Oso will have his work cut out for him yet again.

If we can generate open looks, just have to make more of them than we did on Tuesday against Purdue and see what happens. As Shaka would say...find a way.
VIOLENCE!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 09:43:49 AM »
I don't know that this team has a shot against a top 15 defense, but who knows.

Yeah, I don't think our HC offense is advanced enough to score a bunch against them, so I think I'm hoping we can turn them over and score without facing the defense.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2022, 10:23:31 AM »
Yeah, I don't think our HC offense is advanced enough to score a bunch against them, so I think I'm hoping we can turn them over and score without facing the defense.

This Marquette team is already written off by most.  Certain media listing games like Duke/Bellarmine and Arkansas/Louisville as games to watch today while leaving out Marquette/MSU.

The Big East media also has Marquette as an afterthought. Today is the perfect day to change the narrative. Winning this event would be massive for this season.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 12:00:23 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

feedback