collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Long Covid  (Read 3966 times)

MU82

• All American
Long Covid
« on: October 12, 2022, 09:34:25 AM »
Large study provides powerful evidence of long covid’s lasting impact

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/10/12/long-covid-study-scotland/?utm_campaign=wp_the7&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_the7&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F382526c%2F63469d4df3d9003c580d7f84%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F24%2F61%2F63469d4df3d9003c580d7f84&wp_cu=b1005792a416de1fbe1f17e5cf366b7d%7CB1FF71CA724A36FAE0530100007F88D6

A new long-covid study based on the experiences of nearly 100,000 participants provides powerful evidence that many people do not fully recover months after being infected with the coronavirus.

The Scottish study found that between six and 18 months after infection, 1 in 20 people had not recovered and 42 percent reported partial recovery. There were some reassuring aspects to the results: People with asymptomatic infections are unlikely to suffer long-term effects, and vaccination appears to offer some protection from long covid.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Long Covid
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 09:39:41 AM »
It took 18 months for my sense of smell to return adequately.  I still struggle with some flower and smells.   I consider myself fortunate.    Not dead.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »
It took 18 months for my sense of smell to return adequately.  I still struggle with some flower and smells.   I consider myself fortunate.    Not dead.

I consider Scoop fortunate. We wouldn't want to have to hire somebody else to do the post-game writeups. He or she would probably demand triple your salary.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 04:29:04 PM »
True.  They are several payments behind already.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 06:46:55 PM »
Long Covid is no joke. I know young people that were previously extremely fit and energetic reduced to a fraction of their former self with little hope in sight even months later.

People resigning from leadership positions, because of extreme fatigue and brain fog that won't go away and diminishes their abilities/efficacy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 09:25:04 PM »
Long Covid is no joke. I know young people that were previously extremely fit and energetic reduced to a fraction of their former self with little hope in sight even months later.

People resigning from leadership positions, because of extreme fatigue and brain fog that won't go away and diminishes their abilities/efficacy.
Yessir, you’re right. A nurse my wife works with, a 35-year-old who was completely healthy before she got Covid in the spring of 2020, STILL is having all kinds of problems.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 11:12:26 AM »
I have a relative with long Covid. It’s no joke.
I recently lost a friend in a car accident, he was parked on the shoulder of an interstate and was hit at night by a probably high or drunk driver. Could not figure out why he was in that location, or why he was parked on the shoulder, it made no sense. Family told me that he had suffered from Covid brain fog, and they believe he got confused driving home, ended up in the wrong direction, and had pulled over to figure things out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 11:38:49 AM »
It was nice having long COVID.  Only long thing I had.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
Potential good news for you tower:

Impaired Taste & Smell After A Covid-19 Infection Linked To Higher Levels Of Antibodies
https://www.forbes.com/sites/anuradhavaranasi/2022/12/14/impaired-taste--smell-after-a-covid-19-infection-linked-to-higher-levels-of-antibodies/?sh=5abf539a129b
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 05:25:32 AM »
woot woot
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 06:08:07 AM by tower912 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 09:45:05 AM »
It was nice having long COVID.  Only long thing I had.

That's what she said.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 09:50:43 AM »
It has been waiting for that response for two months

Also what she said.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 04:50:53 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 09:02:49 AM »
Those with long COVID symptoms for months or years after becoming infected may also face significant cognitive decline, a new study suggests.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article277603978.html#storylink=cpy

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 10:14:48 AM »
So da Buffoon has long covid? Hoo new, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 12:25:53 PM »
So da Buffoon has long covid? Hoo new, hey?

Perhaps if by "da Buffoon" you mean your new hero, the guv who thinks slavery was just a good, clean, fun jobs-training program.

Not sure why you turned this to politics, though. Do you think long Covid is a hoax, too?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2023, 01:44:34 PM »
Perhaps if by "da Buffoon" you mean your new hero, the guv who thinks slavery was just a good, clean, fun jobs-training program.

Not sure why you turned this to politics, though. Do you think long Covid is a hoax, too?
"Get your vaccinations and start to live again. Science is real, hey?"

Once upon a time he knew. Then Tuckems and Ingraham, et al, decided spreading antivax disinformation was a way to attack Biden, and the weak minded swallowed the lies happily.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2023, 04:24:50 PM »
Da same dude who cured cancer, as we know it and said Putin is losing the war in Iraq. That Buffoon, hey?

#GodsavedaQueen
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2023, 05:06:08 PM »
Da same dude who cured cancer, as we know it and said Putin is losing the war in Iraq. That Buffoon, hey?

#GodsavedaQueen

Doc - enjoy coalescing around 45.  Grifter, criminal and phony Christian.  Own the libs, aina?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2023, 06:07:18 PM »

#GodsavedaQueen

I listened to the quote and read the transcript.  The brouhaha is just more grifting directed to the weak minded for the echo chamber.   

#snowflakeeconomy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2023, 06:59:28 PM »
Doc - enjoy coalescing around 45.  Grifter, criminal and phony Christian.  Own the libs, aina?

We'll get to see soon enough if Doc stands by his pledge to never support an anti-Semite. That's what Doc said, and the previous president, in addition to perhaps being a convicted felon before Election Day 2024, has proven repeatedly that he condones, supports and gives in to anti-Semitism.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2023, 03:32:41 PM »
My parish priest is retiring prematurely due to long COVID.   From January 2021.  So, pre-vaccine, you ghouls. Cardiac issues.   Meniere's disease.  Vertigo and lost the hearing  in one ear.  A good man, a good priest, a good friend.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2023, 08:15:11 AM »
Very sorry to hear that, tower. That’s quite a list of issues that he is suffering from.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2024, 10:55:31 AM »
Love to hear forgetful's thoughts on this:

Can A Diabetes Treatment Reduce the Risk of Long COVID?
https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-stories/can-diabetes-treatment-reduce-risk-long-covid#:~:text=Metformin%2C%20a%20treatment%20for%20type,of%20more%20than%201%2C100%20people.

"Of the 1,400 participants, 1,126 completed the follow-up surveys. Among people who received metformin, 35 (6.2%) had received a Long COVID diagnosis by the 10-month survey. Among those who did not receive metformin, 58 (10.3%) were diagnosed with Long COVID, meaning that metformin was associated with a Long COVID risk reduction of more than 40%."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2024, 01:56:37 PM »
Love to hear forgetful's thoughts on this:

Can A Diabetes Treatment Reduce the Risk of Long COVID?
https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-stories/can-diabetes-treatment-reduce-risk-long-covid#:~:text=Metformin%2C%20a%20treatment%20for%20type,of%20more%20than%201%2C100%20people.

"Of the 1,400 participants, 1,126 completed the follow-up surveys. Among people who received metformin, 35 (6.2%) had received a Long COVID diagnosis by the 10-month survey. Among those who did not receive metformin, 58 (10.3%) were diagnosed with Long COVID, meaning that metformin was associated with a Long COVID risk reduction of more than 40%."

Read through the article. It is interesting, and the statistics technically support a small role of metformin in reducing the incidence of long COVID.

But I'm a little concerned about whether the authors are looking for ways to publish more of their data. I haven't run my own statistics on their data (I'd like to, because some elements seem odd), but a quick perusal of the results suggest that the positive effect of metformin, is not that much larger than an apparent negative effect of prescribing fluvoxamine (more people got long COVID on Luvox than placebo). They say the latter is not statistically relevant, but the former is. Without the full data it is tough to discern what is going on.

I'd really like to see a larger trial though, before jumping to any conclusions.

Also, there isn't much that can be done, unless one just starts prescribing a 14-day treatment of metformin to anyone that gets COVID, as we still don't understand a lot on why some get Long Covid to begin with. So for now it is an interesting, but in my opinion, incomplete, study on a topic (long COVID) that we need a lot more research on.

Now on the flip side, and not directly related to their study. Metformin has been suggested to have some activity in autoimmune issues, and I personally thing that long COVID has some overlap with auto-immune based disease phenotypes so there may be some legitimacy to their study.

Sorry I can't provide much more than this.