[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best “Fast” Food  (Read 5949 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Best “Fast” Food
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 01:50:07 PM »
Panera is over-priced hospital food.

Ha im not putting its quality down that low

But it is over priced as all hell. That is for certain.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2022, 02:17:41 PM »
Raising Cane's
Culvers
Portillos

Honorable Mention:
In-N-Out

Worst:

Panda Express
Taco Bell
Burger King (for the creepy mascot alone)

Also, I hate the word "Sammiches". Is it that hard to say "sandwich" properly?

Sorry about "sammiches" ... my wife and I watched too damn much Letterman when he was cool, and we have been calling them that ever since.

Portillo's is a good one. Never had Raising Cane's. Totally agree about Taco Bell; so bad.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2022, 02:34:55 PM »
Ha im not putting its quality down that low

But it is over priced as all hell. That is for certain.

Agreed.  Its fine.  But the pricing is ridiculous.  And that seemingly every item has more sodium than a salt lick

Speaking of hospital food, when I was at the hospital a few weeks ago for my son's birth, I was STUNNED by the pricing, in a good way.  We ordered take away mostly, but I went down for a few breakfast items and snacks and it was hilariously cheap.  Pleasantly surprised.  Wonder if that was just an isolated situation

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »
Agreed.  Its fine.  But the pricing is ridiculous.  And that seemingly every item has more sodium than a salt lick

Speaking of hospital food, when I was at the hospital a few weeks ago for my son's birth, I was STUNNED by the pricing, in a good way.  We ordered take away mostly, but I went down for a few breakfast items and snacks and it was hilariously cheap.  Pleasantly surprised.  Wonder if that was just an isolated situation

No it's that way at a lot of hospitals. I have a friend who regularly frequents a local hospital cafeteria even though he doesn't work there because the food is good and inexpensive.

Regarding Panera, I think their food has gone downhill in the last decade or so. They are still a go to for me when travelling because their breakfast items are decent and their coffee is good. Also, if I need to kill some time, they have good wifi.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2022, 02:39:40 PM »
I'll add one on the Panera is overpriced pile. I also remember it being better years ago. I've been disappointed every time I've gone over the past few years (it's never been my idea to go).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2022, 02:48:15 PM »
Broccoli cheddar soup is the only thing worth getting at Panera, at least for lunch/dinner.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2022, 02:50:14 PM »
I went to Panera last week to work because my power went out. They had power, but their effin WiFi as jacked… fortunately I could sit by a window and get on a closed pizza shop’s wifi.

Got a breakfast sandwich. Pretty good, but over priced.

Downed a half-dozen cups of coffee though, so overall not a bad deal.

Third time in four months a squirrel has shut down power for thousands. Smh
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2022, 03:30:23 PM »
Wags

Congrats on having a son!!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2022, 03:51:35 PM »
Wags

Yes Wags, Congrats! You kind of buried the lead on your last post. Hopefully you did not name him Buzz!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2022, 05:18:57 PM »
Can’t believe Cousins doesn’t get a mention. The Italian is dependable.

Also like Jersey Mike’s hot subs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 05:22:00 PM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2022, 05:24:04 PM »
Sliders. Love them or hate ‘em

A Zantigo chilito can hit the spot. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2022, 06:27:28 PM »
Yes Wags, Congrats! You kind of buried the lead on your last post. Hopefully you did not name him Buzz!

Wags

Thanks guys! Didn't want to blast it around, but its been an exciting 3 weeks.  He's ready for his first MU season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 06:35:40 PM »
Enjoy every second.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 09:33:55 PM »
Congrats on L’il Waggle!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2022, 03:49:08 PM »
I'll add one on the Panera is overpriced pile. I also remember it being better years ago. I've been disappointed every time I've gone over the past few years (it's never been my idea to go).

They got bought out a few years ago and the quality has declined substantially.  Everything is premade and or microwaved trash.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2022, 04:00:12 PM »
When Mrs. 82 and I are on the road and we see a Panera, we joke, "We could go there for lunch ... if we want to take out a second mortgage."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2022, 05:52:13 AM »
In no particular order:

1) Culvers -- Great products, diverse menu and the burgers are really good. Onion rings are a little blah but overall good.
2) Portillios -- Best hot dog ever!
3) Panera -- Especially in the morning. Also like Panera while traveling in the south as we could eat outside with the dog.
4) Burger King -- Still think a Whopper, no cheese is the best hamburger this side of Culvers.

And the worst....

A) Arby's -- Paper thin, industrial grade beef. Nice thought but yuck.
B) Real Chili -- I want my grease the old fashioned way -- in explosives or down the drain!

From the guy who thinks Budweiser is a good tasting swill

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2022, 11:52:23 AM »
Chilis curbside - some great deals can be had
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2022, 01:05:57 PM »
Chilis curbside - some great deals can be had

And then do you microwave that microwaved food when you get it home?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »
And then do you microwave that microwaved food when you get it home?

I can relate. Ever since covid, ubereating/postmating/grubhubbing fried food that should be eaten on the spot and not delivered 25 minutes later has been my siren song.  Onion rings, fried fish, fried shrooms, you name it.  It has caused me to crash on the rocks more than once and yet every time I still think this time will be different.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »
I can relate. Ever since covid, ubereating/postmating/grubhubbing fried food that should be eaten on the spot and not delivered 25 minutes later has been my siren song.  Onion rings, fried fish, fried shrooms, you name it.  It has caused me to crash on the rocks more than once and yet every time I still think this time will be different.

YUP.  Some food just doesn't work for take out.  Anything with a crispy exterior that steams itself in a box or bag is borderline trash in under five minutes.

Some other things are great like that... a tight wrapped bacon egg and cheese for instance.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2022, 05:51:57 PM »

A take home method for fried foods is the next great American accomplishment.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2022, 07:26:41 PM »
YUP.  Some food just doesn't work for take out.  Anything with a crispy exterior that steams itself in a box or bag is borderline trash in under five minutes.

Some other things are great like that... a tight wrapped bacon egg and cheese for instance.

Aka most Mexican unfortunately.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2022, 09:43:53 PM »

Alright boys, here's the play for takeout:

Before takeout arrives, heat up your oven to ~175
Prep a baking tray with aluminium foil
Is the thing you ordered for takeout is supposed to be warmer + crispy? Is it more wet than you'd hoped? A little tepid?

French fries - Scatter those bad boys on the pan. Try one, and season it appropriately while it's still over-steamed. Salt, pepper, Lowry's... go nuts.
Burger - Take the soft-stuff that can't handle heat like lettuce, tomatoes, etc off. Pop those on the pan, even in their box
Pizza - Take the slices you'll probably eat out of the box and put them on the pan
Chinese food - Good luck. Easier to heat up in a wok, honestly. Except stuff like crab rangoon, great on a baking tray
Burrito with rice and beans - Burrito on the pan in the oven, rice and beans in the microwave/pan/wok

When is it done? Low temp takes a while. We're trying to dry out the outside a bit after having been steamed during delivery. I'd guess 10-15 minutes. I use the "how hungry am I" test to guess when it's back to temp. Admittedly, my wife is way better at guessing when things are done... mostly because she's using our instant-read thermometer.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2022, 08:51:26 AM »
Alright boys, here's the play for takeout:

Before takeout arrives, heat up your oven to ~175
Prep a baking tray with aluminium foil
Is the thing you ordered for takeout is supposed to be warmer + crispy? Is it more wet than you'd hoped? A little tepid?

French fries - Scatter those bad boys on the pan. Try one, and season it appropriately while it's still over-steamed. Salt, pepper, Lowry's... go nuts.
Burger - Take the soft-stuff that can't handle heat like lettuce, tomatoes, etc off. Pop those on the pan, even in their box
Pizza - Take the slices you'll probably eat out of the box and put them on the pan
Chinese food - Good luck. Easier to heat up in a wok, honestly. Except stuff like crab rangoon, great on a baking tray
Burrito with rice and beans - Burrito on the pan in the oven, rice and beans in the microwave/pan/wok

When is it done? Low temp takes a while. We're trying to dry out the outside a bit after having been steamed during delivery. I'd guess 10-15 minutes. I use the "how hungry am I" test to guess when it's back to temp. Admittedly, my wife is way better at guessing when things are done... mostly because she's using our instant-read thermometer.

This is good advice... but I'd go a higher temp and shorter time.   Insides of these foods should still be warm, so you just want to dry out the outside so go 275-300 for just a couple min.   Plus, this is takeout and you probably did it for convenience, right?  So we don't want to spend all night waiting on the food. 

Good luck everyone!