'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Excellent Shaka August 10 Press Conference  (Read 6913 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
Re: Excellent Shaka August 10 Press Conference
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2022, 07:45:37 PM »
Kolek- to recap- we all know he was a small fish in a shallow pond. He left because he felt he was better, and good enough to compete in the Big East. Last year he took over the pg role. Not an easy thing to do.  His job was to get the ball up the court and set up other players to score. Often times he had to take a shot when the clock ran down. I saw a fierce face and a mean face at times and I think it was because he believed he was capable of competing against any defender (to a point) and attack any defense.  Naturally, you have to have players to pass the ball to that can execute a drawn up play and/or create their own shot, if they’re more talented.

Juniors are always better than sophomores. Tyler will develop and he will score more easily. Last year he was reluctant to shoot because he had Justin Lewis and Darryl Morsell. And he had to set up the bigs for pick and rolls.  He was great at ally oops. He will understand the basics of Wooden basketball and take advantage of situations as they progress though out the next season.
Comparisons to Deiner? Well Travis made big shots. But his role was understood. Will Tyler understand his role and make big shots.  I’d bet on it. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2022, 07:50:01 PM »
Kolek- to recap- we all know he was a small fish in a shallow pond. He left because he felt he was better, and good enough to compete in the Big East. Last year he took over the pg role. Not an easy thing to do.  His job was to get the ball up the court and set up other players to score. Often times he had to take a shot when the clock ran down. I saw a fierce face and a mean face at times and I think it was because he believed he was capable of competing against any defender (to a point) and attack any defense.  Naturally, you have to have players to pass the ball to that can execute a drawn up play and/or create their own shot, if they’re more talented.

Juniors are always better than sophomores. Tyler will develop and he will score more easily. Last year he was reluctant to shoot because he had Justin Lewis and Darryl Morsell. And he had to set up the bigs for pick and rolls.  He was great at ally oops. He will understand the basics of Wooden basketball and take advantage of situations as they progress though out the next season.
Comparisons to Deiner? Well Travis made big shots. But his role was understood. Will Tyler understand his role and make big shots.  I’d bet on it.

What did Al McGuire say about guards from George Mason Oil can ?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »
Kolek- to recap- we all know he was a small fish in a shallow pond.
Ive read this several times and don’t get the reference. Do small fish in shallow ponds leave for greener pastures because the pind is so shallow?

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2022, 08:08:11 PM »
I know- the Wooden Offense? It's as old as me. Nowadays there are so many fast break offenses it's somewhat seldom that we see a half-court offense. In the old days, Al had Tex the triangle guy. He knew a thing or two about geometry. 

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2022, 08:15:41 PM »
Yeah, I think so. When I'm not catching any fish I pick up my ice chest and move. Everything looks better up stream.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2022, 09:17:43 PM »

Nice thing about Tyler is , absent a transfer, MU will have him for 3 more season including this up coming season .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2022, 09:45:26 PM »
Do small fish in shallow ponds leave for greener pastures because the pind is so shallow?

Evolution.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2022, 06:49:30 AM »
Finally watched the press conference. That was nice. The two things that stood out to me (aside from the player analysis) were:
1. Crean-when I watched the 2003 reunion video, I was amazed by Crean's exuberance as well. The players love that about him
2. Shaka talking about it will be good for Tyler to get away from MU for a week so he can give his body a rest. A few days later Tyler posts a video of him getting some run at Providence.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2022, 08:44:36 AM »
On that note, I was very happy to see all of last years "redshirt freshman" are now listed magically as Juniors.  My gripe is gone, and the team just gained a lot of "experience" :)

https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/2022-23

Though I was also surprised to see Itejere listed as a Sophomore instead of RS Frosh!

I remember this being quietly changed on the MU website late in the season.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback