[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Does returning to school improve draft stock?  (Read 1547 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Not usually. Looking at just those that went to the NBA Combine and returned (12 of 107 eligible players), there are only a handful of clear-cut winners. That isn't to say no one who comes back is better off, just noting that if you do come back, be prepared to stay for multiple years.

https://painttouches.com/2022/05/12/does-returning-to-school-improve-draft-stock/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: [Paint Touches] Does returning to school improve draft stock?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 03:13:26 PM »
Not usually. Looking at just those that went to the NBA Combine and returned (12 of 107 eligible players), there are only a handful of clear-cut winners. That isn't to say no one who comes back is better off, just noting that if you do come back, be prepared to stay for multiple years.

https://painttouches.com/2022/05/12/does-returning-to-school-improve-draft-stock/

I could be wrong about this (I’m usually never wrong) but I seem to recall this being a pattern with Badger players dating back to Jon Leuer through Ethan Happ.  Guys who popped on mock drafts, came back and never improved their stock beyond what they were. 

Coaches are paid to win games.  Players with specific flaws will be coached to get better in those areas, of course, but not at the expense of winning.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 04:59:48 PM »
This is why I have always believed it is in the best interests of the player to go pro even if it means starting out in the G League. You will get coaching specifically geared to get you to the next level.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 08:49:31 PM »
Joe list

I think it’s rare for fringe nba players to drastically improve the weak points in their game playing against lesser competition in college. They’re more likely to plateau skill wise in college than explode coming back another year.

For Justin’s sake, I do think he could benefit from coming back and playing/proving himself in a perimeter role. (I’m not saying that selfishly as an MU fan) If he can become a knock down consistent shooter, he will be a lottery pick. You can improve shooting in college with work and a coach who models his offense around that skill set, which Shaka did to a certain extent last year.

The opposite of that would be a freak athlete with limited basketball skills or a great ball player with limited athleticism. Those types of fringe players should get out of college and capitalize on their valuation asap.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 03:04:56 PM »
In some ways, I think Justin has already "returned to school" to improve his draft stock. 

Sure, there was almost no chance that he was going to be drafted if he had left after last season, but he was already on a number of mock draft boards as an early 2nd round pick in this year's draft, even before this past season began.  It wasn't as if he just exploded into relevance this season - he was clearly on the radar after last season too.

So he came back and proved those mock boards right, playing like someone you'd choose with a #25-50 pick. 

Would he play well enough this year to drastically improve his stock?  I kinda doubt it.  He'd likely put up similar numbers (which would be plenty good), but nothing to move the needle.  I think he stays in the draft, and it's probably the right choice. 

feedback