[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Athletic  (Read 1254 times)

muwarrior69

• All American

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: The Athletic
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 08:33:37 AM »
Will the Athletic survive?

https://www.outkick.com/the-athletic-lost-all-time-high-55m-in-2021-prompting-more-talk-of-major-changes/

Doubtful.  It’s too bad because the coverage they provide is vastly superior to the other coverage out there. 

The job Eric Nehm and Will Sammon do is incredible and much more in-depth than the fluff pieces of local journos.  Eric’s piece with Jrur Holiday a month ago on defense was one of the best things done with NBA coverage from a local level in my lifetime
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:36:11 AM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 09:28:12 AM »
Doubtful.  It’s too bad because the coverage they provide is vastly superior to the other coverage out there. 

The job Eric Nehm and Will Sammon do is incredible and much more in-depth than the fluff pieces of local journos.  Eric’s piece with Jrur Holiday a month ago on defense was one of the best things done with NBA coverage from a local level in my lifetime

Nehm is awesome. He knows his stuff and clearly the players respect him enough to sit down and have those conversations. He’s a must read for me.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 11:05:49 AM »
Nehm's work with the Bucks is elite.  Sammon is also good, but the Brewers have always had some solid reporters with JS, as well as McCalvy.

In my mind, the Packers' coverage by local media is embarrassingly bad given their popularity. Silverstein is old school with a rudimentary understanding of the modern game, and then McGinn is somehow still hanging around. Schneidman is decent for The Athletic, but still green in the market.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 01:51:05 PM »
I dropped it this year. They obviously do good work but I just didn’t read it enough to make it worth the while.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 03:54:42 PM »
Eric’s piece with Jrur Holiday a month ago on defense was one of the best things done with NBA coverage from a local level in my lifetime

I am on a $1 per month rate right now.  Wasnt planning to renew but that piece has me reconsidering.  Incredible peice of work.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 08:20:47 AM »
I dropped it this year. They obviously do good work but I just didn’t read it enough to make it worth the while.

Same, they jumped me up to $80 for the year and that was it for me. Of course, now I'm getting all the discount deals so I may reconsider, but there are so few Marquette articles or other things that I really seek out that it only occasionally feels worth it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 08:32:16 AM »
I got hit with that $80 renewal.. I told them cancel... They came back and I got it for $30!!!  8-)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2022, 08:02:08 AM »
Help me out .. I read TA's revenue for 2022 was expected to be $100m.   Add in a $55m loss (yes, that's 2021) .. and TA is spending $155m per year.

I'm really scratching my head on how they could possibly spend that much.  Backend sales/offices + server costs + payroll for writers == $155m?   That seems 10x out of whack.

I would expect the cost to employ writers is a pittance. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 09:19:14 AM »
Help me out .. I read TA's revenue for 2022 was expected to be $100m.   Add in a $55m loss (yes, that's 2021) .. and TA is spending $155m per year.

I'm really scratching my head on how they could possibly spend that much.  Backend sales/offices + server costs + payroll for writers == $155m?   That seems 10x out of whack.

I would expect the cost to employ writers is a pittance.

I would guess, knowing what I know about the writing economy, that they over-invest in "names" in the hope that they draw readership and drive top line growth. Granted, I come from the fiction-writing ecosystem, which is no doubt different in a lot of ways. But there will be projects that pay wildly above "market" to get a George R.R. Martin story included in an anthology to headline it, the rest of the contributors getting standard rates. The publisher's bet here is that GRRM draws enough readership that it oustrips their inflated pay for his contribution.

I feel like TA did that a couple years back. There was a raft of splashy "I'm leaving ESPN[or wherever] to go to The Atlantic" announcements. I'm guessing they paid a huge premium for every one of those deals, but never either had the top line growth they'd hoped for, or didn't care because that their bottom line was hemorrhaging because  "ZOMG GROWTH" was the only metric they cared about.

I'm not 100% on this, but it feels like the transition from the ZOMG GROWTH phase of modern venture capital to the "we should probably make money somewhere" phase is very fraught. Suddenly the splashy T&L spend, the rockstar employees who aren't really performing like rockstars after all, well cuts need to be made but nobody wants to make them.

feedback