[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 10:23:37 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So much for that economic forecast  (Read 16793 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: So much for that economic forecast
« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2022, 10:18:27 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #251 on: May 09, 2022, 04:05:47 AM »

Maybe he’s a horse dentist?  To be fair I have never heard him claim that he works on people.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #252 on: May 09, 2022, 07:46:02 AM »
80 years combined dental experience

awl dis meenz iz dat u guyz ewez lotsa coopons four yor dyeperz, oona?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #253 on: May 09, 2022, 08:00:39 AM »
Next tyme ya got a toothache, kall a cub reporter, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #254 on: May 09, 2022, 08:50:33 AM »
Just gargle some bleach and rub horse paste on it.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2022, 08:57:52 AM »
Next tyme ya got a toothache, kall a cub reporter, hey?

I use a dentist who isn't conned by the Conspiracy Theory du Jour and who didn't cheer on the 1/6/21 cop-maimers, so I assume he's up on the latest science of the profession. My dentist also isn't as old as dirt.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2022, 09:26:53 AM »
Too bad, probably not a Marquette grad either...good luck with that, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
MU Burrow

Sorry for not being clear on the interest rate front. I am 10000% in favor of raising rates, believe it should have started in Q3 of 2021 and keep raising them until it is no longer needed. We have had Fed fueled stock market gold rush and equally hot housing market and nothing lasts forever. The Fed is not around to help my retirement plan skyrocket in price or provide 100% increase in my home value. They are a very powerful group, maybe as powerful as any group in the world, and I think they have been reckless for a long time. In addition, they have had interest rates at near zero for a long time and could not to create 2% annualize inflation when they tried to, thus I am not so sure they are going to be able to get the horse back in the barn without a lot of pain to the American public.

Thanks Goose, appreciate the follow up. I also probably misread your earlier post re your thoughts on the Fed's actions.  This makes a lot of sense to me.  I recall some of these discussions when inflation was too low.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #258 on: May 09, 2022, 10:17:57 AM »
MuBurrow

The Fed has a mighty big task in front of them. Sadly, I think they are hoping demand falls quickly to help them out. IMO, they created much of this mess and they are going to need all the help they can get.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2022, 07:15:03 AM »
From the NYT:

WASHINGTON — In Kansas, the Democratic governor has been pushing to slash the state’s grocery sales tax. Last month, New Mexico lawmakers provided $1,000 tax rebates to households hobbled by high gas prices. Legislatures in Iowa, Indiana and Idaho have all cut state income taxes this year.

A combination of flush state budget coffers and rapid inflation has lawmakers across the country looking for ways to ease the pain of rising prices, with nearly three dozen states enacting or considering some form of tax relief, according to the Tax Foundation, a right-leaning think tank.

The efforts are blurring typical party lines when it comes to tax policy. In many cases, Democrats are joining Republicans in supporting permanently lower taxes or temporary cuts, including for high earners.

But while the policies are aimed at helping Americans weather the fastest pace of inflation in 40 years, economists warn that, paradoxically, cutting taxes could exacerbate the very problem lawmakers are trying to address. By putting more money in people’s pockets, policymakers risk further stimulating already rampant consumer demand, pushing prices higher nationally.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/10/us/politics/states-tax-cuts-inflation.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20220510&instance_id=60927&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=91787&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
Any rag that still employs krugman has no economic credibility. Ain’t he the guy who predicted economic Armageddon 2016?  Yeah that’s a real non biased look.  The ny slimes has proved itself over and over to be a partisan piece of schiff why anyone would reference it for anything…oh, never mind only people still having night sweats over  a few people walking thru the capital doors getting a free tour no concerns about cities and police stations and businesses being burnt to the ground
don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Any rag that still employs krugman has no economic credibility. Ain’t he the guy who predicted economic Armageddon 2016?  Yeah that’s a real non biased look.  The ny slimes has proved itself over and over to be a partisan piece of schiff why anyone would reference it for anything…oh, never mind only people still having night sweats over  a few people walking thru the capital doors getting a free tour no concerns about cities and police stations and businesses being burnt to the ground

9 of 10
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2022, 09:46:06 AM »

Is the teal no longer working?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2022, 09:47:55 AM »
Is the teal no longer working?

Besides leaving the country worse than they found it, baby boomers are pretty computer stupid
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2022, 09:49:25 AM »
Yeah the guy who posts links exclusively from Fox News is complaining about others referencing the New York Times....
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2022, 10:06:44 AM »
sure Krugman is an elitist and i-told-you-so type of person, but why do you think he's incorrect on tax policies and monetary theory?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2022, 10:47:55 AM »
sure Krugman is an elitist and i-told-you-so type of person, but why do you think he's incorrect on tax policies and monetary theory?

I think he's a buffon on a lot of real world applications of economic theory.  Which is why he's been wrong on big calls like the internet, 2016, and thinking the TPP was worthless, etc....  I personally think his (and other economists) "diminishing marginal utility" theory on raising tax rates is nonsense.

I don't think he's unintelligent or a moron, I just think he's a blowhard who's well past his prime and I don't give most of his subsequent musings much weight.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2022, 10:51:14 AM »

Magnificent work

Yay! Free Tours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXnHIJkZZAs
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 11:02:18 AM by TSmith34 »

feedback