[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Move Fast & Break Things  (Read 6988 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Move Fast & Break Things
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2022, 10:09:46 PM »
If you're looking for explanations as to how the NCAA thinks, you've come to the wrong place.

And regarding O-Max and other internationals, I'm still waiting for Billy's thorough and I'm sure forthcoming explanation on Prosper jerseys being sold by the Spirit Shop.

Marquette Basketball generates millions of dollars every year. It does so because of the athletes they bring in. If I were trying to set up international NIL, I would probably start there, or how the G-League handles the internationals on their rosters. But the point of the article is not to answer all of these questions, it is to encourage Marquette to take a leadership role in finding the answers. Because, quite frankly, that became their most important job the moment the NCAA abdicated most NIL responsibility.

The only income an international student can receive is from a campus source. International students can work on-campus and be paid by the school (e.g., the library, rec center, as an RA). So, when Marquette University's bookstore sells gear with a player's name on it they can receive proceeds since the income is being paid by the university to the student.

What is the difference with a H-1B?

one needs to have earned a bachelor's degree to get an H1-B visa. The sponsor also has to show the candidate for the visa provides a high specialized level or knowledge or service they cannot get from a US Citizen.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2022, 06:07:55 AM »
The only income an international student can receive is from a campus source. International students can work on-campus and be paid by the school (e.g., the library, rec center, as an RA). So, when Marquette University's bookstore sells gear with a player's name on it they can receive proceeds since the income is being paid by the university to the student.

So if the University gave the players all but the material cost for the shirt and found a donor to buy 100,000 of the shirts then donate them to schools in the player's hometown or country of origin, that would be a perfectly fine, legitimate use of NIL that put us at the forefront of international recruiting?

This is why being aggressive, being creative, and acting fast matters. Because if we don't, someone else will.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2022, 02:13:24 PM »
The issue of giving scholarships should probably just be viewed as an annual basketball business expense.
The player or recruit having good NIL opportunities at MU would probably significantly sweeten the incentive to attend Marquette.
With NIL, there may be a significant paradigm shift of why a recruit would attend a particular school or not.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 02:15:09 PM by NCMUFan »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2022, 11:33:30 AM »
So if the University gave the players all but the material cost for the shirt and found a donor to buy 100,000 of the shirts then donate them to schools in the player's hometown or country of origin, that would be a perfectly fine, legitimate use of NIL that put us at the forefront of international recruiting?

This is why being aggressive, being creative, and acting fast matters. Because if we don't, someone else will.

You're trying too hard with things you just don't understand.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2022, 11:41:10 AM »
You're trying too hard with things you just don't understand.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »
So mu athletics just launched a partnership with Altius sports. This may be what was in the works?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2022, 11:55:53 AM »
Well I think in this scenario it would be a player giving up his $50k scholarship for NIL money that exceeds the value of his scholarship.

But the player can have both.  Say a player gets $500k in a NIL deal.  Do you really think any player in that situation would willfully turn down the scholarship and choose to pay tens of thousands of dollars to the university?  Or do you think it's more likely that they keep the scholarship?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2022, 12:10:25 PM »
So mu athletics just launched a partnership with Altius sports. This may be what was in the works?

For starters
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2022, 12:36:04 PM »
But the player can have both.  Say a player gets $500k in a NIL deal.  Do you really think any player in that situation would willfully turn down the scholarship and choose to pay tens of thousands of dollars to the university?  Or do you think it's more likely that they keep the scholarship?
I think the player would do whatever gets him the most money. The way I'm thinking about it is, it's just shifting scholarship dollars to NIL dollars and the NIL deal would cover tuition, but free up a scholarship.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2022, 12:39:21 PM »
I think the player would do whatever gets him the most money. The way I'm thinking about it is, it's just shifting scholarship dollars to NIL dollars and the NIL deal would cover tuition, but free up a scholarship.

I believe that falls under enticement rules (one of the few rules the NCAA is trying to implement) and that's why BYU is being investigated, as well as why NIL gets murkier when it comes to walk-ons. I think it would only be available for players that had played at a school already, but it will definitely be something they have to iron out. This is why the NCAA failed grossly when it came to this topic. By trying to first punish states, then trying to punt to congress, then just throwing up their hands and saying "we take no responsibility" this was a complete fustercluck.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2022, 12:42:10 PM »

I don’t know how this is different from what was announced last fall. Seems to be pretty similar. It’s good to see the university doing something, but not sure how impactful it is.

https://gomarquette.com/news/2021/9/30/general-marquette-athletics-announces-marq-u-nil-initiative.aspx

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »
I believe that falls under enticement rules (one of the few rules the NCAA is trying to implement) and that's why BYU is being investigated, as well as why NIL gets murkier when it comes to walk-ons. I think it would only be available for players that had played at a school already, but it will definitely be something they have to iron out. This is why the NCAA failed grossly when it came to this topic. By trying to first punish states, then trying to punt to congress, then just throwing up their hands and saying "we take no responsibility" this was a complete fustercluck.
You know way more about this than I do, but yeah I think it would potentially be even murkier for sports like lacrosse and hockey when there's lots of partial scholarships involved.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2022, 09:00:00 AM »

Old Man Luck, hey?