'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Excellent Ben Steele Article on Zach Wrightsil  (Read 3048 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Excellent Ben Steele Article on Zach Wrightsil
« on: April 18, 2022, 07:27:10 PM »
Zach gives a lot of good insights as to the recruitment, his role at MU and his personal goals.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2022/04/17/naia-player-zach-wrightsil-transfer-marquette-next-season/7350171001/

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Excellent Ben Steele Article on Zach Wrightsil
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 11:16:51 AM »
It's nice to have Shaka's former players recruiting for MU and saying great things about the program. Buzz had that having built a brand around himself. It seems like Shaka has everyone built into his "this is bigger than just basketball" brand. Love it

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 11:46:35 AM »
I have absolutely no idea how an NAIA NPOY would translate to a high major program... but I like his self confidence and attitude that he's going to prove to all the naysayers or doubters (or in my case those who just have no idea) that he belongs.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 12:52:36 PM »
I have absolutely no idea how an NAIA NPOY would translate to a high major program... but I like his self confidence and attitude that he's going to prove to all the naysayers or doubters (or in my case those who just have no idea) that he belongs.

Last year's POY Kyle Mangas got a sniff from the Pistons, Cavs and Pacers before the draft, and is now playing for a Czech pro team averaging 20+ ppg:
https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Kyle-Mangas/Czech-Republic/USK-Praha/455422

This gives me some hope there are decent skills that can translate to some contribution at the D1 level.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:06:17 PM »

Last year, this staff brought in 4 transfers. Those guys totaled 25+ starts each and 19+ mpg each for a tourney team. I'm willing to give them some benefit of the doubt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 01:12:09 PM »
I have no doubt that this kid can play, many players come from smaller venues and can perform just as well on the big stage.  My issue is that everything I see about him has him at 6'7" and 205lb.  That is not the player MU needs.  If you assume that Lewis goes pro and MU lands a 6'11" 250 lb. center then great welcome aboard if not MU would have no strong center position.  I would rather have gotten the big first and replace Lewis with a player in kind.  Looks to me like the cart is before the horse.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 01:13:48 PM »
I have no doubt that this kid can play, many players come from smaller venues and can perform just as well on the big stage.  My issue is that everything I see about him has him at 6'7" and 205lb.  That is not the player MU needs.  If you assume that Lewis goes pro and MU lands a 6'11" 250 lb. center then great welcome aboard if not MU would have no strong center position.  I would rather have gotten the big first and replace Lewis with a player in kind.  Looks to me like the cart is before the horse.

I suspect Wrightsil coming first means it's pretty likely Justin is gone.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 01:26:32 PM »

I actually think it might be highly plausible that Shaka decided he needs a 6’7-6’8 type of rebounding plus scoring presence more so than he needs a 6’11 250lb banger, assuming he only gets one of the two.

He might be ok running with Keeyan backing up Oso at the 5, and then has Gold as a 4/5. I know as a fan that’s a difficult concept to go into a season with no bulk down low, but it seems like it’s Shakas style.
Now, if he can find a 250lb 6’11 guy that can move up and down the court I’m sure he takes him and figures out the rest later, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he’s ok with Keeyan and Oso at the 5.

After all, Osa in the first month of the season was on track to become one of the best bigs we’ve ever seen at MU!
So if we can give Kolek a chance to prove it, Osasere sure as heck deserves the chance since he’s stuck around longer.

Main problem I’m seeing for next season is that we are giving a lot of players a chance- meaning there are not a lot of proven commodities.
I love the OMax hype around here (although I admittedly just don’t see it and I definitely saw it in Justin from day 1), but next years team is slammed with guys that need to prove themselves for Marquette to have a successful season, even more so than this past season.

This past season we had Justin, who many were rightfully confident was a budding star, and Darryl/Kur who had a surefire starters basement and you knew would be serviceable, and Greg who you knew you could count on in a pinch to give you needed minutes and be productive enough.

Next season we mainly have a lot of guys that need to prove themselves. I’d go as far as saying Wrightsil, even though he’s no sure thing by what I’ve seen on tape, may be the one with the least to prove if his game translates over.
It’s exciting, but also a dangerous game.
From one aspect you value Shaka for sticking to his guns. From the other you wonder if he shouldn’t have re-stocked a bit.

Only time will tell
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:28:35 PM by DoctorV »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 01:30:00 PM »
I actually think it might be highly plausible that Shaka decided he needs a 6’7-6’8 type of rebounding plus scoring presence more so than he needs a 6’11 250lb banger, assuming he only gets one of the two.

He might be ok running with Keeyan backing up Oso at the 5, and then has Gold as a 4/5. I know as a fan that’s a difficult concept to go into a season with no bulk down low, but it seems like it’s Shakas style.
Now, if he can find a 250lb 6’11 guy that can move up and down the court I’m sure he takes him and figures out the rest later, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if he’s ok with Keeyan and Oso at the 5.

After all, Osa in the first month of the season was on track to become one of the best bigs we’ve ever seen at MU!
So if we can give Kolek a chance to prove it, Osasere sure as heck deserves the chance since he’s stuck around longer.

Main problem I’m seeing for next season is that we are giving a lot of players a chance- meaning there are not a lot of proven commodities.
I love the OMax hype around here (although I admittedly just don’t see it and I definitely saw it in Justin from day 1), but next years team is slammed with guys that need to prove themselves for Marquette to have a successful season, even more so than this past season.

This past season we had Justin, who many were rightfully confident was a budding stat, and Darryl/Kur who had a surefire starters basement and you knew would be serviceable, and Greg who you knew you could count on in a pinch to give you needed minutes and be productive enough.

Next season we have a lot of guys that need to prove themselves. I’d go as far as saying Wrightsil, even though he’s no sure thing by what I’ve seen on tape, may be the one with the least to prove if his game translates over.
It’s exciting, but also a dangerous game.
From one aspect you value Shaka for sticking to his guns. From the other you wonder if he shouldn’t have re-stocked a bit.

Only time will tell

For the record, Ben Gold is every bit of 6'11" he will be the biggest guy on our roster and has an incredible jump shot.  Highly possible that he and Oso are who they want to roll with and alternate at the 5.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 01:42:51 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 01:34:13 PM »
Just rebound better on offense, and get to the line. Everything else will work out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 01:37:34 PM »
Just rebound better on offense, and get to the line. Everything else will work out.

Shaka Smart teams do not crash the boards on offense.  I would not expect this to change
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 02:08:53 PM »

Agree Dr V.  This is where I am at.  Hopeful but not confident.  If a non MU basketful fan asked me how I think the team will be next year I’d honestly have to answer “no idea”.  The fan base will just have to trust Shaka like last year. 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 02:19:32 PM »
Same. Washington news was disappointing. We need more talent

hawk

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2022, 04:04:53 PM »
Noteam goes to far if they can't control the paint.  I get Shaka's style I am not comfortable with it.  Even Gonzaga with all of the talent they have can't seal the deal because when push comes to shove they can't shove.   MU needs a bully.  I'd be ok hanging 30 lbs on Joplin and playing as a power 3/4 fewer 3's and more pain in the paint.  Think maybe Deonte Burton.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2022, 04:18:09 PM »
Noteam goes to far if they can't control the paint.  I get Shaka's style I am not comfortable with it.  Even Gonzaga with all of the talent they have can't seal the deal because when push comes to shove they can't shove.   MU needs a bully.  I'd be ok hanging 30 lbs on Joplin and playing as a power 3/4 fewer 3's and more pain in the paint.  Think maybe Deonte Burton.

Burton was a tremendous athlete, but was in no way a "bully."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2022, 05:31:56 PM »

Burton was a tremendous athlete, but was in no way a "bully."

There’s a reason Buzz called him “Eonte”
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.