[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: An NCAA COVID Related Rule I'd Like to See Stick Around  (Read 1017 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
An NCAA COVID Related Rule I'd Like to See Stick Around
« on: April 18, 2022, 06:54:22 PM »
The six year clock to complete five years of eligibility.  It would keep some experienced players in the college game, which will improve the product on the floor.  It also gives players more time to complete their degrees and/or get a start in their graduate programs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
Re: An NCAA COVID Related Rule I'd Like to See Stick Around
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 09:17:42 PM »
The six year clock to complete five years of eligibility.  It would keep some experienced players in the college game, which will improve the product on the floor.  It also gives players more time to complete their degrees and/or get a start in their graduate programs.

I agree.

Also would like to see some changes on % progress towards a degree. Right now with the way the rules are, many students have to select purely fluff degrees as some more challenging degrees are simply impossible with the current rules. Could also then open up more opportunities for remedial courses that don't count towards a degree, so they can have success.

Open up more opportunities for students to gain long-term success through education.

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 08:48:56 AM »
Excellent points.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
I have mixed emotions on this. I don't know for sure how it would play out over the long term, but it was really tough for a lot of high school senior student athletes this past year because the scholarships didn't open up. I would be more inclined to support this if there was some expansion in the number of scholarships that schools could make available. Or, I do like the idea that schools will allow kids to complete their degree at no cost once their eligibility is used up. While we tend to focus more attention on MBB (and specifically high major MBB) that represents a very small percentage of the people affected. This past year a lot of kids who would have gotten college scholarships in other years got shut out because schools retained super seniors. I understand that they were obviously borderline athletes...but I do feel for them.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 10:19:34 AM »
I agree.

Also would like to see some changes on % progress towards a degree. Right now with the way the rules are, many students have to select purely fluff degrees as some more challenging degrees are simply impossible with the current rules. Could also then open up more opportunities for remedial courses that don't count towards a degree, so they can have success.

Open up more opportunities for students to gain long-term success through education.

Or we could stop pretending that these are "student athletes" and not "athletes who may possibly go to school" and do away with all these dumb requirements.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 10:22:28 AM »
I have mixed emotions on this. I don't know for sure how it would play out over the long term, but it was really tough for a lot of high school senior student athletes this past year because the scholarships didn't open up. I would be more inclined to support this if there was some expansion in the number of scholarships that schools could make available. Or, I do like the idea that schools will allow kids to complete their degree at no cost once their eligibility is used up. While we tend to focus more attention on MBB (and specifically high major MBB) that represents a very small percentage of the people affected. This past year a lot of kids who would have gotten college scholarships in other years got shut out because schools retained super seniors. I understand that they were obviously borderline athletes...but I do feel for them.

"The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-approves-blanket-waiver-for-2020-fall-sports-athletes-to-retain-year-of-eligibility/

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2022, 10:25:11 AM »

"The NCAA's announcement said seniors student-athletes who take advantage of the additional year of eligibility will not count against team scholarship limits in 2021-22."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-approves-blanket-waiver-for-2020-fall-sports-athletes-to-retain-year-of-eligibility/

But Greg Elliott will count against someone's scholarship cap next year when he uses his fifth year.  It's a legit concern so perhaps the best option is to leave a fifth year open at the discretion of the school.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 10:29:58 AM »

But Greg Elliott will count against someone's scholarship cap next year when he uses his fifth year.  It's a legit concern so perhaps the best option is to leave a fifth year open at the discretion of the school.

Only because Greg transferred correct?

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 10:31:01 AM »
Only because Greg transferred correct?

No, if for whatever reason Greg stuck around MU, he would have counted against Marquette's cap.  The roster exception was for 2021-22 only.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2022, 10:37:08 AM »

It is a legit concern...though I'm not sure how big of one. While many seemed to take advantage of it last year, it seems like very few are taking advantage of it this year, at least at the high major level. I could see more mid or low majors taking advantage.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2022, 12:48:31 PM »
Or we could stop pretending that these are "student athletes" and not "athletes who may possibly go to school" and do away with all these dumb requirements.

Along the lines of what I mentioned in my post, this focuses on the major money sports. The large majority of NCAA student athletes that I actually have first hand knowledge of (as opposed to watching them on TV) are "student athletes" who are fortunate enough to parlay their athletic ability into a scholarship. I think one of the problems is that we have one set of rules that applies to both revenue producing sports and non-revenue sports. I think it would probably make sense to have different rules.

Thank you for posting that. I was not aware of that. In light of that, I suspect that my experience was based in large part on the fact that the situations I was familiar with were in non-revenue sports where the number of kids on a roster is more a function of budget than NCAA regulations. But, as illustrated by the link you provided, I was incorrect on the cause of the issues. I'm all for letting these kids finish their degrees.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback