[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Roster Updates  (Read 49540 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Big East Roster Updates
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2022, 12:36:02 PM »
What? That's a completely different argument than the one you were making just over a hour ago.

The discussion evolved. I very clearly stated my position in my last post which I’ve maintained throughout the discussion.

Brew brought up another tangential point so I addressed it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2022, 12:37:07 PM »
This may be the scoopiest argument of the summer.   Can we do St. John's 9th best player next?

Esahia Nyiwe

Come at me bro.

panda

• All American
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2022, 12:39:06 PM »
It doesn't give them any more flexibility.

Your comment on mid-season transfers only made sense when players had to sit out a year. When Harry Froling transferred from SMU to MU he had to sit out two semesters before he could play, and therefore needed MU to have a scholarship open mid year. 

Future mid-year transfers will be like Dawson Garcia, where he can leave UNC mid-term, finish the academic year, and transfer and immediately play the first semester at Minnesota.  Minnesota didn't need an open scholarship because they didn't need Dawson to spend a year on campus before becoming eligible.

Even more obviously, teams absolutely don't need to bank a scholarship for next season. That's just dumb.  McDermott can keep Anrdro around this entire season and STILL replace him with a better player for next year.

How does one less scholarship on the books not give them more flexibility ?

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2022, 12:51:30 PM »
The discussion evolved. I very clearly stated my position in my last post which I’ve maintained throughout the discussion.

Brew brought up another tangential point so I addressed it.

Scoop is so parliamentary Question Hour.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2022, 12:55:28 PM »

In the future, sure.  This season, no.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2022, 01:13:10 PM »

He was playing well more than the three returners before they were hurt.  Let's use Christofilis as an example.  Before he was hurt in early February, he played in 13 of 19 games for a a total of 52 minutes played. 

Rati played in all 19 for a total of 174 minutes.

I have never seen a decent true freshman not play a lot of minutes over a "sophmore" who has been with the team before. Especially in the first 19 games of the freshman's career. Rare stuff here.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2022, 01:18:07 PM »
I have never seen a decent true freshman not play a lot of minutes over a "sophmore" who has been with the team before. Especially in the first 19 games of the freshman's career. Rare stuff here.

I mean, you can keep making excuses why your arguments are trash.  But that doesn't change the fact that they are indeed trash.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2022, 01:21:28 PM »
I never talked about roster flexibility this year.

34 minutes to contradict yourself? Are you reading what you're writing, or just hitting "Post" as fast as you can get it out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2022, 01:29:21 PM »
34 minutes to contradict yourself? Are you reading what you're writing, or just hitting "Post" as fast as you can get it out.

I never talked about roster flexibility this year and neither of those quoted posts say anything about this year.

This conversation has always been about flexibility at the semester (taking a player for next year) and recruiting high school or transfers for next year.

You keep looking for some gotcha moment but once again, I’ve never talked about roster flexibility for this upcoming season. I’ve maintained rati is not any sort of a loss to Creighton - a walk on can do what he did-and him leaving leaves more recruiting opportunities moving forward.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2022, 01:43:33 PM »
I never talked about roster flexibility this year and neither of those quoted posts say anything about this year.

This conversation has always been about flexibility at the semester (taking a player for next year) and recruiting high school or transfers for next year.

You keep looking for some gotcha moment but once again, I’ve never talked about roster flexibility for this upcoming season. I’ve maintained rati is not any sort of a loss to Creighton - a walk on can do what he did-and him leaving leaves more recruiting opportunities moving forward.

That's this year.

panda

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »
That's this year.

Not sure about current rules, but mid season transfers can’t play the same season….

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #286 on: August 17, 2022, 02:21:10 PM »
Not sure about current rules, but mid season transfers can’t play the same season….

No, but the flexibility you are talking about is and always has been.

Regardless, it's a silly argument that losing a rotation player in August is a positive. Even if he played less and spent more time as a practice player than on-court player, he would have more value on the team than off it. You made a poorly articulated comment that they are better off without him and are spinning every which way to try to rationalize it.

Very, very, very strange hill to die on.

panda

• All American
« Reply #287 on: August 17, 2022, 02:32:49 PM »
No, but the flexibility you are talking about is and always has been.

Regardless, it's a silly argument that losing a rotation player in August is a positive. Even if he played less and spent more time as a practice player than on-court player, he would have more value on the team than off it. You made a poorly articulated comment that they are better off without him and are spinning every which way to try to rationalize it.

Very, very, very strange hill to die on.

Scholarship flexibility….

The only point I’ve made about replacing rati this season is you can get a preferred walk on to do what he did - which I maintain. I never said anything about finding a scholarship player outside of the program.

You created this argument and are just convincing yourself you’re right when that’s not what I’m talking about.

He’s leaving because they recruited over him and he probably didn’t like the limited role McDermott had planned for him this year.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 17, 2022, 04:06:04 PM »
This is what I'm reminded of.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 17, 2022, 04:12:14 PM »
This may be the scoopiest argument of the summer.   Can we do St. John's 9th best player next?
That keeps keeps getting said.  It keeps being wrong.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #290 on: August 17, 2022, 04:42:45 PM »
panda, you had a bad take and rather than walk it back, you doubled down with roster flexibility and walk ons. If that's your hill to die on, I guess that's your prerogative.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #291 on: August 17, 2022, 05:20:06 PM »
Per Torvik.. RATi leaving helps adj OE by 0.4 and hurts Adj DE by 9.1. Creighton’s outlook jumps from #25 all the way to #24, proving this discussion is a benefit to all and should continue.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #292 on: August 17, 2022, 05:43:15 PM »
Scoop is so parliamentary Question Hour.

Question to the Prime Minister, Mr. Michael Shersby.

But is not Oasis the greatest British band since the Beatles? Can we not vote on this?!

panda

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2022, 07:06:45 AM »
panda, you had a bad take and rather than walk it back, you doubled down with roster flexibility and walk ons. If that's your hill to die on, I guess that's your prerogative.

I could “win” an argument too if I just made up things the other person didn’t say…

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2022, 10:57:39 AM »
Question to the Prime Minister, Mr. Michael Shersby.

But is not Oasis the greatest British band since the Beatles? Can we not vote on this?!

Radiohead
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2022, 01:19:20 PM »
Radiohead

My first thought as well
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 18, 2022, 01:34:56 PM »
Radiohead

I was referring to an SNL skit.

Also, The Beatles.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #297 on: August 18, 2022, 09:22:08 PM »
I could “win” an argument too if I just made up things the other person didn’t say…

Take up your disagreements with the guy that said these things.

They’re better off finding a preferred walk on

Him leaving now gives Creighton more flexibility to take a mid season transfer or bank the scholarship and go after someone more talented once the season is over.

panda

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2022, 06:23:27 AM »
Take up your disagreements with the guy that said these things.

It’s my opinion that a walk on can match his output as a reserve guard deep on the bench. We can debate my opinion but I do believe his role is so minuscule with Farabello, Nemhard, scheirman and Mitchell all in front of him in the rotation that a walk on can be the 5th guard on the team and they wouldn’t lose a step.

It’s just a simple fact that any player leaving now gives them more opportunities and flexibility to sign a guy in the January window (for next season) or put more irons in the recruiting fire for next year.

Some players leaving now hurt more than others and it’s my opinion that with Creighton’s back court depth, Rati leaving does absolutely zero damage to their pre season expectations.

Those have been the points I’ve maintained throughout.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2022, 07:44:18 AM »
It’s my opinion that a walk on can match his output as a reserve guard deep on the bench. We can debate my opinion but I do believe his role is so minuscule with Farabello, Nemhard, scheirman and Mitchell all in front of him in the rotation that a walk on can be the 5th guard on the team and they wouldn’t lose a step.

It’s just a simple fact that any player leaving now gives them more opportunities and flexibility to sign a guy in the January window (for next season) or put more irons in the recruiting fire for next year.

Some players leaving now hurt more than others and it’s my opinion that with Creighton’s back court depth, Rati leaving does absolutely zero damage to their pre season expectations.

Those have been the points I’ve maintained throughout.

::) ::) ::)

So let's recap...

panda:  Here are my takes.

brew:  Your takes are bad

panda:  I didn't have those takes

<brew provides evidence of said takes>

panda:  Yeah those are my takes and I think they're great!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback