Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can St. Peters make it to the elite eight?  (Read 8168 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Can St. Peters make it to the elite eight?
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2022, 10:45:44 AM »
Lol. No. Every mid major thinks that, but it doesn’t really happen.

Coach K, Gonzaga, Butler and LUC disagree over the long run. But, is St. Peter's even a mid-major?

https://es.pn/2If1HZs

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2022, 11:55:08 AM »
https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2022/03/25/saint-peters-sweet-sixteen-242686

I don't believe a word of that article. Everyone knows Catholics are just a bunch of podophiles. Just a hateful group of people.

Seriously, that was a great piece. St. Peter's is easy to root for. Go Peacocks!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2022, 12:16:16 PM »
Coach K, Gonzaga, Butler and LUC disagree over the long run. But, is St. Peter's even a mid-major?

Other than Iona, no other MAAC school was in the top 150 of the NET rankings.  I'd argue that is pretty decidedly low major.  The conference comps are the Ivy League and the Big West

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
I don't believe a word of that article. Everyone knows Catholics are just a bunch of podophiles. Just a hateful group of people.

Seriously, that was a great piece. St. Peter's is easy to root for. Go Peacocks!

Sex with a bunch of whales? This is a new perversion.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »

Don't bring Ginni Thomas into this

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2022, 12:19:23 PM »
"Sex with a bunch of whales? This is a new perversion."

:D LOL!!! I almost spit my coffee out my nose I laughed so hard.

I'm not going to edit it because of your post.  Well played Sir.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2022, 12:21:58 PM »
That was unbelievably risky.  Ivey had a wide open three at the top of the key about 30 seconds after he’d just seen one go in.  It was the exact shot Purdue wanted and Holloway is damn lucky it didn’t go in.

Yep, I would have had two men in the backcourt to immediately foul Ivey or whoever got the ball.

But it wasn't an "easy" shot. Ivey was on full sprint, faced time pressure and basically just had to launch. Given all that, and Ivey being a 36% 3-point shooter, Purdue would have been more "lucky" had the shot gone in than St. Peter's was that it didn't. And, as cheebs said, not fouling made it so Edey and Williams wouldn't be contesting for a FT rebound; not surprisingly, Purdue had dominated the boards.

So although I'd have fouled, I certainly can see why Holloway didn't.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »
Now we know what the Bible story about Jonah staying inside the whale for three days was all about.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 12:52:35 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
I hope St. Peter's keeps winning so that Holloway gets a better offer than Seton Hall. If he can take a small school to the level he has, it scares me what SHU might soon be with him as their coach,

I'm admittedly talking out of both sides of my mouth as I have often supported the concept that the stronger the BE is top to bottom, the better for us (although others have rightfully explained the cannibal effect as seen in the Big 12).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2022, 12:40:14 PM »
Don't bring Ginni Thomas into this

I tip my hat to you, good sir.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2022, 12:40:17 PM »

Coach K is wrong, and Gonzaga, Butler and LUC aren't comparable to St. Peter's.  Those three schools have had sustained success.  K claimed that "this run" is worth perhaps $100 million.  And that's just not accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2022, 01:11:26 PM »
Saint Peter’s.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2022, 01:25:39 PM »

Coach K is wrong, and Gonzaga, Butler and LUC aren't comparable to St. Peter's.  Those three schools have had sustained success.  K claimed that "this run" is worth perhaps $100 million.  And that's just not accurate.
In Coach K defense, he's just a college basketball coach. He has spent the batter part of his life thinking about teenage boys playing basketball. He's not a university administrator and far from a college president. I don't think anyone should expect him to understand the impact of a big run the the NCAA. Plus he has a bias for promoting sports and basketball.

Outside of high school recruiting and how to defend the pick and roll, his opinions don't mean much. He is 100% entitled to his opinions just as you are, but that doesn't carry much weight.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2022, 01:36:08 PM »
In Coach K defense, he's just a college basketball coach. He has spent the batter part of his life thinking about teenage boys playing basketball. He's not a university administrator and far from a college president. I don't think anyone should expect him to understand the impact of a big run the the NCAA. Plus he has a bias for promoting sports and basketball.

Outside of high school recruiting and how to defend the pick and roll, his opinions don't mean much. He is 100% entitled to his opinions just as you are, but that doesn't carry much weight.

I don't disagree at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2022, 03:20:54 PM »
how does such a small slow and scrwny team beat elete teams like UK and purdue. how do they beat the elete talent size and speed it just defies logic. might be the craziest run ive ever seen.

They are all tough city kids off the playgrounds.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »

Whales can't talk - even when they grow up.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2022, 03:25:05 PM »

Oh, so since they never say "no" it makes it ok?  Sicko!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »
I hope St. Peter's keeps winning so that Holloway gets a better offer than Seton Hall. If he can take a small school to the level he has, it scares me what SHU might soon be with him as their coach,

I'm admittedly talking out of both sides of my mouth as I have often supported the concept that the stronger the BE is top to bottom, the better for us (although others have rightfully explained the cannibal effect as seen in the Big 12).

So Holloway would be more scary at Seton Hall than Shaka at MU?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 04:26:19 PM by muwarrior69 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2022, 04:51:39 PM »

Well done S-Scoop.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2022, 04:51:59 PM »
So Holloway would be more scary at Seton Hall than Shaka at MU?

Here's my exchange with Goose on the Next Viilanova thread:

Goose: I like the St. Peter’s coach and hope he makes a big haul after this season. That said, I think there will be a very sorry buyer for his services in a few years. I hope I am wrong, but not much of resume prior to the last few weeks.

Me: If he goes to SH, I sure hope you are right Goose. I'm fine with a good, solid SH team- provided that we beat them on a fairly regular basis- but a BE version of what he has done at St. Peter's? No thank you. With Nova and UCONN, we have enough to deal with.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2022, 05:50:10 PM »
Here's my exchange with Goose on the Next Viilanova thread:

Goose: I like the St. Peter’s coach and hope he makes a big haul after this season. That said, I think there will be a very sorry buyer for his services in a few years. I hope I am wrong, but not much of resume prior to the last few weeks.

Me: If he goes to SH, I sure hope you are right Goose. I'm fine with a good, solid SH team- provided that we beat them on a fairly regular basis- but a BE version of what he has done at St. Peter's? No thank you. With Nova and UCONN, we have enough to deal with.

I’d agree with you.  I don’t know if Goose is being fair.

St Peters isn’t a great job, even in the MAAC.  He took over a team that finished in the bottom half of the conference 6 out of the previous 8 seasons. In 2 seasons, he turned them around and had 3 straight top 3 finishes.

Does that equal a Big East job? Maybe not.  But he’s certainly deserving of a step up to an A-10/MVC/AAC level at a minimum.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2022, 05:52:12 PM »

Uh... no.  They can actually talk thousands of miles away.