[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 187491 times)

BallBoy

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2022, 04:15:25 PM »
Thats just incorrect.

Hearing from Blue bloods and being the focal point on them all is much different.
Hearing from Blue bloods and being promised being the focal point is what will impact the decision.  Whether he is or is not will be too late to matter.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 06:56:10 PM by BallBoy »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2022, 05:43:05 PM »
Did Garcia think he was not going to even average 10 points a game at NC? Sure he thought he was going to be the man, did not happen

That's a bit of a mischaracterization.  He was averaging 10.8 pts & 5.3 rebounds before he went down with a concussion early in their game against BC on 1/2.  Sat out two, played 3  more with significantly worse stats, and then left the team for the remainder of the year.

He may not have been "the man", but up to that point he was certainly more than a role player as he averaged ~22 min per game.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2022, 05:53:04 PM »
Justin is a versatile, talented player. He is a bit slower than the average wing that NBA scouts are looking at. At 6'7 he's plenty agile but plays at more of a methodical pace. I think he'll struggle more to get his shots in the pros whether it's his post game of jumper.

I wouldn't blame him if he left but I think he's a g-league guy at the moment with NBA potential if he works hard.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2022, 06:14:12 PM »
Top 40 picks should leave. Guaranteed money and nearly guaranteed roster time.

Justin is there.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2022, 06:18:56 PM »
That's a bit of a mischaracterization.  He was averaging 10.8 pts & 5.3 rebounds before he went down with a concussion early in their game against BC on 1/2.  Sat out two, played 3  more with significantly worse stats, and then left the team for the remainder of the year.

He may not have been "the man", but up to that point he was certainly more than a role player as he averaged ~22 min per game.

10.8 and 5.3 is a step down from where Justin wants to be.  Garcia was on draft boards and obviously he has had some family matters that have prevented him from playing but even before then saw his name almost completely disappear from boards.

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility but if Justin is anywhere but the G-League or Marquette next season I'd be surprised.
VIOLENCE!

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2022, 08:41:51 PM »

Probably the best situation for the team was Garcia leaving, Black is much quicker and better defender then Garcia.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2022, 08:44:08 PM »
He not ready for primetime yet.
Go have a burger
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »

Rocky

One thing that’s not a mischaracterization - UNC is a much better team with his 22 minutes going elsewhere.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2022, 09:53:47 PM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2022, 01:32:58 AM »
One thing that’s not a mischaracterization - UNC is a much better team with his 22 minutes going elsewhere.

Sure, but that's about as relevant to my post, as my post was to a thread about JLs future.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2022, 11:06:42 AM »
Appreciate everyone’s posts. You all have me convinced he’s gone. Now how do we make the dance without him?

I’m sure this has been posted but what does everyone think about Justin and his probability of returning next year? I think there are serious holes in his game but maybe it’s the state of going to the NBA now where guys have serious holes in their game and will be first round picks.

I think we need him to get back to the big dance next year, maybe thats stating the obvious. I think he got into a little bit of hero ball mode, along with Morsell, which didn’t help anything. And that’s more than just yesterdays game. Our ball movement went down the past month.

I like
Kam
Tyler
Stevie
Justin
Oso
Omax
Plus any new additions as an OK core going in the next year. I’m just overthinking yesterday at work just curious on what you guys think the team will look like next year
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2022, 11:14:34 AM »
Easy...recruit better talent. Not only will MU reach the Tourney, but they'll actually win games, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
Easy...recruit better talent. Not only will MU reach the Tourney, but they'll actually win games, hey?
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2022, 10:30:01 PM »
Kolek commented on that instagram post "To many more *eyes emoji*"

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2022, 09:24:02 AM »
The fact that this has gone on for 2 pages without any consideration of NIL is pretty surprising. I am not saying Justin is going to make a ton of $$ off of possible NIL deals but he could make some $$$ while continuing to work on his game. Thats definitely a new wrinkle in this. Those suggesting hes going to transfer after he stuck out a coaching change I think are delusional. Those saying all top 40 picks should leave....how many guys outside of the first round even outside of the lottery actually stick in the NBA?? I would guess a small percentage.

It comes down to Justin and no one has any idea-Were gonna go through the usual BS of trying to interpret a 20 year olds IG posts...Most logical thing is to declare, get feedback, and then make a decision from there. We are no where close to an answer on this barring Justin really loving MU and Shaka and letting us all know hes staying (which I highly doubt happens)

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »
The fact that this has gone on for 2 pages without any consideration of NIL is pretty surprising. I am not saying Justin is going to make a ton of $$ off of possible NIL deals but he could make some $$$ while continuing to work on his game. Thats definitely a new wrinkle in this. Those suggesting hes going to transfer after he stuck out a coaching change I think are delusional. Those saying all top 40 picks should leave....how many guys outside of the first round even outside of the lottery actually stick in the NBA?? I would guess a small percentage.

It comes down to Justin and no one has any idea-Were gonna go through the usual BS of trying to interpret a 20 year olds IG posts...Most logical thing is to declare, get feedback, and then make a decision from there. We are no where close to an answer on this barring Justin really loving MU and Shaka and letting us all know hes staying (which I highly doubt happens)

NIL for College Basketball players without a cult/social media following is negligible in comparison to a guaranteed 2nd draft pick. (which is typically the top 10 picks in the 2nd round). Look at the 2023 class. Skyy Clark was once a 5 star, got a social media following, got injured and became a 4 star, and now has a NIL estimated value on on3.com of $204k. They estimate he can charge 2.6k per Instagram post. Cason Wallace, on of the best guards in the class, a true 5 star, has an  estimated value on on3.com of $25k. They estimate he can charge $239 per post. I picked Cason because he has 3k less IG followers than Justin.

NIL isn't "real" money without large amounts of followers or unless you are playing football.

40th pick in the NBA was $2,488,776 guaranteed at signing last year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2022, 10:03:06 AM »
The fact that this has gone on for 2 pages without any consideration of NIL is pretty surprising. I am not saying Justin is going to make a ton of $$ off of possible NIL deals but he could make some $$$ while continuing to work on his game. Thats definitely a new wrinkle in this.

It really comes down to donors. I'm sure selling duck nachos puts a few bucks in his pockets, but not enough that it offsets what he'd make on even a G-League deal. I think the real question is if some donor would throw $50-100k his way to stay for an extra year. While the money might not be as good, if it's a year of getting enough money to get by while increasing your exposure because you play on FS1 every game while putting in an All-American campaign, being drafted in the 20s next year could be a legitimate argument as opposed to the 40s this year.

I'm not advocating for this. If I'm advising Justin, I think he should at the minimum test the waters and see if anyone will guarantee him a 3-year deal which would make further pursuing college a waste of time. But if that guarantee isn't there, NIL and better exposure than the G-League isn't the worst thing.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2022, 10:33:01 AM »
It really comes down to donors. I'm sure selling duck nachos puts a few bucks in his pockets, but not enough that it offsets what he'd make on even a G-League deal. I think the real question is if some donor would throw $50-100k his way to stay for an extra year. While the money might not be as good, if it's a year of getting enough money to get by while increasing your exposure because you play on FS1 every game while putting in an All-American campaign, being drafted in the 20s next year could be a legitimate argument as opposed to the 40s this year.

I'm not advocating for this. If I'm advising Justin, I think he should at the minimum test the waters and see if anyone will guarantee him a 3-year deal which would make further pursuing college a waste of time. But if that guarantee isn't there, NIL and better exposure than the G-League isn't the worst thing.

I think NIL is going to keep the Vander’s of the world in college. Where they are late second rounders or border-line draft picks. You still get to make some cash and not have to go overseas.

I don’t think NIL is going to do much for the first rounders as far as keeping them in school.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2022, 10:38:20 AM »
I think NIL is going to keep the Vander’s of the world in college. Where they are late second rounders or border-line draft picks. You still get to make some cash and not have to go overseas.

I don’t think NIL is going to do much for the first rounders as far as keeping them in school.

Yup, it will matter for the fringe draft guys. Though this year it might help a little more than other years. If a prospect is looking at fringe-NBA to overseas as his options, do you really want to go to Europe when there's a war going on? With Maurice Creek's struggle to get out of Ukraine, Britney Griner being locked up in Russia, and the potential for the war to spread to other countries, an extra year in college might look a little more appealing than it has in years past.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2022, 10:51:51 AM »

Could you imagine not having to pay for school and getting paid $50k-$100k to be a College Kid?

Also can't you graduate in 3 years nowadays? Maybe he can get a degree on top of it all.

He did fall to the 40 range in the Givony mock and still isn't included in a large number of other mocks. He'll make the right choice no matter which route he chooses.
VIOLENCE!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »
Could you imagine not having to pay for school and getting paid $50k-$100k to be a College Kid?

Being a high-level D-1 athlete in a revenue generating sport is nothing like being a "college kid."

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2022, 10:59:39 AM »
Being a high-level D-1 athlete in a revenue generating sport is nothing like being a "college kid."

True. 

It should read "as a College Kid" or "to live the College Experience."

The NBA and other professional leagues last forever and will always be there.  You only get a certain amount of years to play basketball in front of good crowds with student sections and the college atmosphere.

If you can get paid to do it knowing you'll still get drafted next year it may impact a decision.

Regardless of what Justin decides to do, it'll be the right choice.

VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2022, 11:04:31 AM »
True. 

It should read "as a College Kid" or "to live the College Experience."

The NBA and other professional leagues last forever and will always be there.  You only get a certain amount of years to play basketball in front of good crowds with student sections and the college atmosphere.

If you can get paid to do it knowing you'll still get drafted next year it may impact a decision.

Regardless of what Justin decides to do, it'll be the right choice.

You only get a certain number of years to play basketball period - even less if you get injured - so the NBA and other professional leagues will not "always be there" a viable alternative. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2022, 11:15:17 AM »

You only get a certain number of years to play basketball period - even less if you get injured - so the NBA and other professional leagues will not "always be there" a viable alternative.

Right, but the higher you are drafted, the more guaranteed money AND the more likely it is you get a shot to play early in your career.  Doing so gives you the opportunity to play longer in the league.

You see it so often a guy leaves early and fizzles out before getting any real shot in the league because they get stuck in the D League and can't get out.

That's exactly why whatever Justin chooses to do will be the right decision.  He will get all the information/advice/etc. to make the right choice.
VIOLENCE!

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »

I've seen "duck nachos" pop up around #mubb twitter the past few weeks - what does it mean?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

feedback