Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[Today at 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[Today at 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Strategy Thurs???  (Read 12119 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Strategy Thurs???
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
The Athletic article by Sam Vecenie looking at NBA prospect matchups he is looking forward to. He lists two from our game:

Justin vs. Leaky Black
Caleb Love vs Darryl Morsell

Summary for those who refuse to pay for really good CBB coverage: Justin will have to make a lot of contested shots due to Black's length. If he can use his jab step well, he can get Black on his heels. Love is a good shooter, but takes bad shots in the lane. Morsell fights through screens and disrupts set shots. If he can have a good game on Love (4-14 from shooting), Marquette is in good position.

https://theathletic.com/3181774/2022/03/14/roddy-vs-diabate-branham-vs-williamson-and-more-the-best-nba-prospect-matchups-in-the-ncaa-tournaments-first-round/
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2022, 05:49:38 PM »
My strategy Thursday?

Definitely my plan.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2022, 08:45:13 PM »
Wait - there's stock????

Micron Technology. It appears to be undervalued, just like our Warrior Eagles.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2022, 09:23:32 PM »
I really like the idea of MU disrupting UNCs smaller in comparison guards with height and athleticism. Morsell and OMax could be huge defensively- maybe some Stevie on RJ Davis to hound him.
The problem though is that if you move Kolek to cover Black the height discrepancy is so drastic that it probably doesn’t work

My thought is that while Black is certainly able to score (55% from 2 and 35% from 3), UNC's offense is not designed to get him shots. He's hit double digits in scoring in only 4 games this season and never more than 13 (and he needed to play 43 minutes for that one). If having Kolek sag off Leaky helps keep Bacot from touching the ball, I'm not sure Leaky will make them pay enough to not make it worth it.

I of course love the idea of getting Bacot into foul trouble but I don't think we've successfully got a big in foul trouble all season. Our PG passes out of drives 99% of the time and our two bigs aren't posting anyone up. We really only have three players capable of getting to the foul line consistently and one of them will have his hands full with Leaky all game. Greg has been playing terrible lately which would really leave it up to Morsell to try and attract Bacot on drives and get the contact. Bacot is on the slower side. Oso has been showing flashes of his driving game. This would be a great time for him to suddenly start taking opposing bigs off the bounce. Not expecting it though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2022, 09:31:30 PM »
My thought is that while Black is certainly able to score (55% from 2 and 35% from 3), UNC's offense is not designed to get him shots. He's hit double digits in scoring in only 4 games this season and never more than 13 (and he needed to play 43 minutes for that one). If having Kolek sag off Leaky helps keep Bacot from touching the ball, I'm not sure Leaky will make them pay enough to not make it worth it.

I of course love the idea of getting Bacot into foul trouble but I don't think we've successfully got a big in foul trouble all season. Our PG passes out of drives 99% of the time and our two bigs aren't posting anyone up. We really only have three players capable of getting to the foul line consistently and one of them will have his hands full with Leaky all game. Greg has been playing terrible lately which would really leave it up to Morsell to try and attract Bacot on drives and get the contact. Bacot is on the slower side. Oso has been showing flashes of his driving game. This would be a great time for him to suddenly start taking opposing bigs off the bounce. Not expecting it though.

Our bigs need to show up Thurs.  Tenacity, power, aggression, force, and intelligence, should be part of the conversation Shaka has with them.  I expect 20 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blks. 

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2022, 09:33:18 PM »
The Athletic article by Sam Vecenie looking at NBA prospect matchups he is looking forward to. He lists two from our game:

Justin vs. Leaky Black
Caleb Love vs Darryl Morsell

Summary for those who refuse to pay for really good CBB coverage: Justin will have to make a lot of contested shots due to Black's length. If he can use his jab step well, he can get Black on his heels. Love is a good shooter, but takes bad shots in the lane. Morsell fights through screens and disrupts set shots. If he can have a good game on Love (4-14 from shooting), Marquette is in good position.

https://theathletic.com/3181774/2022/03/14/roddy-vs-diabate-branham-vs-williamson-and-more-the-best-nba-prospect-matchups-in-the-ncaa-tournaments-first-round/

2nd this really good article.  Also said Morsell will end up in his top 100 after underclassmen announce they are going back to school.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2022, 10:13:02 PM »
2nd this really good article.  Also said Morsell will end up in his top 100 after underclassmen announce they are going back to school.

The temptation is to dismiss Morsell's NBA chances out of hand ... but if he can show that he can hit NBA 3s at a 35% or better clip, maybe he could be a D&3 guy on some team's bench. His game is about as NBA-ready (arguably more) than Lazar's was, and at this point we've seen too many Buycks and Juans make it to say, "No way."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2022, 10:48:18 PM »
Our bigs need to show up Thurs.  Tenacity, power, aggression, force, and intelligence, should be part of the conversation Shaka has with them.  I expect 20 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blks.

Yeah...I don't think a pep talk is going to be enough for that.

Assuming you are just referring to Kur/Oso , what you are expecting has only happened two times this season:
Jackson State: 22 points, 18 rebounds, 5 blocks
Providence (H): 27 points, 11 rebounds, 8 blocks

So a game against a garbage opponent and our absolute best game of the season. Technically in the realm of possibility but most likely going to fall short of your expectation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2022, 11:02:52 PM »
Must…win…eFG%
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
Yeah...I don't think a pep talk is going to be enough for that.

Assuming you are just referring to Kur/Oso , what you are expecting has only happened two times this season:
Jackson State: 22 points, 18 rebounds, 5 blocks
Providence (H): 27 points, 11 rebounds, 8 blocks

So a game against a garbage opponent and our absolute best game of the season. Technically in the realm of possibility but most likely going to fall short of your expectation.

I was just emphasizing the overall point. They simply must show up.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2022, 11:21:13 PM »
I've watched a handful of UNC games already since getting the matchup and I keep talking myself in and out of why Marquette will win or lose.

I can't make up my mind.  Bacot is going to get his points and rebounds and Black is going to cause problems for Lewis.  Can Morsell and OMax cause similar problems for UNC? Can Marquettes depth wear UNC out? Can Marquette make shots?

Those are the key questions. I'm not sure the shorthanded Baylor wants to see Marquettes depth in the second round but about 90% of the bets are coming in for UNC and I get why.  They've been hot.

Should be an exciting game.  Hopefully we turn the TV off happy when it's all said and done.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2022, 11:41:45 PM »
I've watched a handful of UNC games already since getting the matchup and I keep talking myself in and out of why Marquette will win or lose.

I can't make up my mind.  Bacot is going to get his points and rebounds and Black is going to cause problems for Lewis.  Can Morsell and OMax cause similar problems for UNC? Can Marquettes depth wear UNC out? Can Marquette make shots?

Those are the key questions. I'm not sure the shorthanded Baylor wants to see Marquettes depth in the second round but about 90% of the bets are coming in for UNC and I get why.  They've been hot.

Should be an exciting game.  Hopefully we turn the TV off happy when it's all said and done.

As of now 86% (officially) of bets are on UNC.
VIOLENCE!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2022, 12:35:09 AM »
As of now 86% (officially) of bets are on UNC.

Good, though doesn’t mean anything.

More curious to know where the sharps money is going

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2022, 07:07:00 AM »
If MU doesn't have a big coaching advantage Thursday, we probably hired the wrong guy.
This 100000000%. Also, if (when) we beat UNC, Shaka should have a pretty good idea on how to play Baylor.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2022, 07:53:31 AM »
Here's my strategy:

After we beat UNC on Thursday, I'll buy $1977 worth of MU stock.

Big spender, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2022, 08:22:38 AM »
Our bigs need to show up Thurs.  Violence! Tenacity, power, aggression, force, and intelligence, should be part of the conversation Shaka has with them.  I expect 20 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blks. 

FTFY

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2022, 09:15:29 AM »
If our January team shows up we win. If our February/March team shows up we lose in a blowout or heartbreaker. I am going with January as we beat Nova on their home court on my birthday. How's that for strategy.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2022, 09:24:18 AM »

I don't know how many times I have seen players exceed their stats when they play MU. The key to this game is defense which has been non-existent of late.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2022, 09:26:43 AM »
Good, though doesn’t mean anything.

More curious to know where the sharps money is going

I've watched around 15 different bracket predictions and not a single one picked Marquette to beat UNC.  I kinda like it that way.
VIOLENCE!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2022, 10:01:11 AM »
I don't know how many times I have seen players exceed their stats when they play MU. The key to this game is defense which has been non-existent of late.

I think the point is that you need to make them run it through their 4th or 5th option here. Black is the one you want to force shots out of over Love/Davis/Manek. Maybe he has a career game--but that can work if you make sure the others don't.

Per The Athletic:

Black is not a confident shooter. Even this season, where he’s made 35 percent of his 3s, he’s still only taking one per game because it’s clear he’s just not quite ready to pull the trigger all the time even when open.

Sagging off Black and making him a shooter could allow his defender to sag off a bit when needed and double into Bacot when he gets the ball (or to prevent him from getting the ball). We play the best ball when connected like that. I think there are legs to the strategy of focusing on making Black "exceed his stats."
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2022, 10:01:29 AM »
Well we're screwed!

Only four teams seeded lower than the No. 3 seed line have ever won the national title: one 4 seed (Arizona in 1997), one 6 seed (Kansas in 1988), one seven seed (UConn in 2014) and one 8 seed (Villanova in 1985).

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2022, 10:28:48 AM »
Well we're screwed!

Only four teams seeded lower than the No. 3 seed line have ever won the national title: one 4 seed (Arizona in 1997), one 6 seed (Kansas in 1988), one seven seed (UConn in 2014) and one 8 seed (Villanova in 1985).

Damn!  Thanks for ruining my day.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2022, 10:33:11 AM »
I've watched around 15 different bracket predictions and not a single one picked Marquette to beat UNC.  I kinda like it that way.

We are getting decent love through the field of 68 and all their guests.

Its Baylor thats getting a lot of flack. Most people I see have the winner of MU/UNC beating Baylor which is still bold even if they are the ideal top seed match up.

And I quite literally dont think I have seen someone with Baylor beating UCLA.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2022, 10:34:04 AM »
Code: [Select]
Well we're screwed!

What seed was Marquette in 1977?   Thought a pretty low seed since we were one of the last ones in i throught.   16? 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2022, 10:34:44 AM »
Score more than the other team.

feedback