'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105517 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #275 on: March 19, 2022, 10:27:17 AM »
Cuonzo Martin and Dennis Gates seem like the exact same coach. This does not seem smart. Gates teams can't shoot.

Have you watched the tournament?  Shooting across the sport isn’t coached apparently
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2022, 10:39:36 AM »
Cuonzo Martin and Dennis Gates seem like the exact same coach. This does not seem smart. Gates teams can't shoot.

It was a bit of an eye brow raiser. But they believe Gates can and will recruit at a higher level than Zo, like he did at Florida State under Leonard Hamilton. If he can get players he can be successful. If not, no. (I realize that’s stating the obvious) Martin is one of the best people in the game, but it takes players to win.

Golden’s connection was Bruce Pearl. He played and coached under Pearl. Mizzou’s new AD was an Assoc. AD at Tennessee while Pearl was there. And she has heavy Bay Area connections.

Fun fact: Mizzou’s new AD hired the often talked about here, TJ Otzelberger, to UNLV. She has her own list, and they, like many others, used Eddie Fogler’s search firm.

The Gates connection is former Mizzou AD Mike Alden. He was an advisor to Cleveland State when they hired Gates. And, the above mentioned Bay Area connections.

If they wanted the popular vote, to sell tickets before they played a game, they would hire English. He of course recruited Kennedy Chandler to Tennessee etc…and if taking the long view, could be all that they would want in the eyes of many there.

Gates won’t move the initial interest needle with casual fans, but winning moves the needle. Some will say he won watered down Horizon titles etc…He may get his Power 6 chance. 

Not a done deal yet but again, Thamel doesn’t usually go public with rumors. We’ll see.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:41:11 AM by shoothoops »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #277 on: March 19, 2022, 11:01:15 AM »
Rothstein reporting Xavier is closing in on Sean Miller as their next head coach.  Good move by X
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2022, 11:25:08 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention regarding Gates is that his hire would require board approval.

It wouldn't likely be a problem. However as recently as a few years ago former Mizzou AD Jim Sterk wanted to hire Blake Anderson as their football coach, and, the board said no, try again. So they hired Eli Drinkwitz instead who had more board approval.

Former star Mizzou player, and long time college basketball analyst is on their board and beavily involved with all things at their school. I'm sure many will want English but I'd be surprised if Gates was their hire and it was turned down.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2022, 11:27:31 AM »
Rothstein reporting Xavier is closing in on Sean Miller as their next head coach.  Good move by X

Isn't he still being investigated?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #280 on: March 19, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
Isn't he still being investigated?

He is, but as we've seen with Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl, sometimes you suck up the infractions as long as the guy will win on the other side.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 19, 2022, 11:34:03 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention regarding Gates is that his hire would require board approval.

It wouldn't likely be a problem. However as recently as a few years ago former Mizzou AD Jim Sterk wanted to hire Blake Anderson as their football coach, and, the board said no, try again. So they hired Eli Drinkwitz instead who had more board approval.

Former star Mizzou player, and long time college basketball analyst is on their board and beavily involved with all things at their school. I'm sure many will want English but I'd be surprised if Gates was their hire and it was turned down.

Zo could recruit at that exact same level as gates did at FSU early in his career, if not better. Jarnel Stokes, Hubbs (who i think was injured), Jaylen Brown, Ivan Rabb, both Porter brothers.  Aidan Shaw might be in this class in a few years.

They run a very similar style. Both are defense first guys. Their teams can't and don't shoot.   This year. Cleveland St. is 278th in 3 point attempts making 32.6%. Missouri is 295th in 3 point attempts shooting 28.1%. Other than Zo's first year at mizzou his teams have never shot well. Dennis gates teams have never shot well.

It is just a straight retread. I don't know how to justify it if i were a mizzou fan.

I don't even think Gates would be a bad hire in a vacuum, its just a poor rehashing of something they just tried.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2022, 11:39:07 AM »
If Xavier hires Sean Miller, and Seton Hall gets Halloway, the quality of BE coaches gets better and stronger IMO.  Would be great for the league.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2022, 11:46:52 AM »
IDK. I tend to think “going home again” doesn’t usually work. Ideally Miller would work at Xavier but there are enough red flags that I think it may end poorly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 19, 2022, 11:51:13 AM »
If Xavier hires Sean Miller, and Seton Hall gets Halloway, the quality of BE coaches gets better and stronger IMO.  Would be great for the league.
Not a fan of Miller for obvious reasons. Maybe he'll turn over a new leaf. I believe most people deserve a second chance.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2022, 12:02:46 PM »
Safe to say Willard is gone: "When I get home tomorrow I will discuss things with my agent. I'll be honest: If I'm not here next year, if Shaheen Holloway is here, that would be the happiest thing that ever happened to me."

THis is a good take:
https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2022/03/kevin-willard-botches-his-seton-hall-exit-with-classless-shaheen-holloway-endorsement-politi.html

panda

• All American
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2022, 01:01:45 PM »
THis is a good take:
https://www.nj.com/setonhall/2022/03/kevin-willard-botches-his-seton-hall-exit-with-classless-shaheen-holloway-endorsement-politi.html

Willard looking absolutely terrible throughout this entire process. His comments exemplify someone extremely undeserving of any sort of a promotion.

Hard to get excited about this as a Maryland fan.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2022, 01:13:49 PM »
Shocking that Willard is acting like a clown on his way out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »
Willard looking absolutely terrible throughout this entire process. His comments exemplify someone extremely undeserving of any sort of a promotion.

Hard to get excited about this as a Maryland fan.

What a freaking loser.  He epitomizes the definition of douchebaggery.

panda

• All American
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »
What a freaking loser.  He epitomizes the definition of douchebaggery.

I really hope Maryland hires someone else and the moron is left to deal with his own mess at SHU.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2022, 02:57:17 PM »
He is, but as we've seen with Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl, sometimes you suck up the infractions as long as the guy will win on the other side.

This.

To me, the big question would be if Miller really would be all-in on X or if he would have his eye on the next "huge" job. But I guess you don't get the next huge job if you don't do great at X, so even that's a win-win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2022, 03:58:33 PM »
Per Goodman, Miller to X is done: BREAKING: Sean Miller has agreed to a deal to return to Xavier, source told @Stadium.

The ex-Arizona coach spent 5 season as the head coach of Musketeers from 2004-09 and went to four NCAA tourneys — including an Elite Eight in 2008.

Miller chose Xavier over South Carolina.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 19, 2022, 04:30:21 PM »
Xavier will be a force with miller.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 19, 2022, 04:46:04 PM »
This.

To me, the big question would be if Miller really would be all-in on X or if he would have his eye on the next "huge" job. But I guess you don't get the next huge job if you don't do great at X, so even that's a win-win.

The guy should be humbled after the Zona situation.  Xavier is a damn good job.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #294 on: March 19, 2022, 05:33:43 PM »
Sheesh.

Anyone still teach their kids that cheaters never prosper?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #295 on: March 19, 2022, 06:56:37 PM »
The guy should be humbled after the Zona situation.  Xavier is a damn good job.

Yep. He had 5 good years there before. I bet he has success again at X. Solid program

Shooter Flatch

• Starter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 19, 2022, 08:10:53 PM »
Ah yeah, and the former van driver at Gannon College too. Thank you Hank, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 20, 2022, 12:02:53 AM »
This.

What's the next "huge" job him? He's 53 and already made a ton of money, if we was looking for the next huge job I think South Carolina would make more sense than X.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #299 on: March 20, 2022, 12:12:00 AM »
For the sake of the Big East, I hope Miller keeps his nose clean. The BE has a very good reputation, not perfect but very good.