Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette -3.5 vs. Butler  (Read 4532 times)

PointWarrior

• All American
Re: Marquette opens -6.5 vs. Butler
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2022, 10:16:22 AM »
“Trap Game” a term also signifying a member of the Cult of Low Expectations, especially when next game on the schedule is an even worse opponent.

Sounds like the perfect trap game.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:17:53 AM by PointWarrior »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2022, 11:23:07 AM »
“Trap Game” a term also signifying a member of the Cult of Low Expectations, especially when next game on the schedule is an even worse opponent.

Finally, proper usage of COLE. That particular Scooper never wanted Shaka IIRC, and he almost always likes to speculate about the worst possible outcomes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »
Butler is bad at everything on offense. They're awful from three, not as awful but still bad inside the arc. As previously mentioned they get stuffed a ton. The one thing they do sort of well on offense is that they don't let the opponent steal the ball very often...but they do give up a ton of non-steal TOs (which are our forte). They also don't crash the offensive glass particularly well or get to the free throw line.

Defensively they are stronger but still not great. They are decent on the defensive glass (not that we try to grab offensive boards anyway). And they have an elite 3P defense which is pretty much the entire reason for their defense being ranked higher. But they are sieves inside the arc (which happens when you have one rotation player over 6'7 and only two over 6'6 and the one 6'9 guy is not a rim protector). We will have the size advantage at every position. I want to see a ton of Morsell, Lewis, and OMax bullying their way to the rim and at least a couple of lobs and pocket passes to KurOso from Kolek.

Jordan has also greatly shortened his rotation with guys like Bolden and Groce getting their minutes all but removed in the last few weeks. They've been running a 7 man rotation with their two freshmen Jayden Taylor and Simas Lukosius as the two guys off the bench.

Fun fact, Butler hasn't scored more than 72 points in a game since November 24th....against Chaminade. Double fun fact, they've only scored more than 72 points on one other occasion this season, their November 12th win over the mighty Bears of Central Arkansas. So...get to 73 and we probably win.

Long story short, this is the kind of team we should feast on. I think we have the advantage at every single position and their weaknesses play into our strengths. As long as we don't return to our early season habit of playing down to our competition, I think we roll them.
Think again TAMU
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2022, 04:10:56 PM »
Think again TAMU

What nickname for Shaka?  I’m eagerly awaiting
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2022, 05:38:41 PM »
well according to SilverWarrior's usual drivel at the other board, a 1 point win will be lucky to be had.

We could be playing the Little Sisters of the Poor at home with them missing 3 starters due to COVID and he would still right a "beware of the little sisters" post...
yea

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2022, 05:38:56 PM »
Butler has been much better at pick and roll defense since Hodges got healthy. I think they're going to give us some trouble on the defensive end, but hopefully their offense is bad enough that they don't take advantage.

In the past 3 weeks, since Hodges has been playing 25+ mpg, they are playing like the 67th best team in the country per T-Rank with a top-40 defense. While they're just 2-4, all the losses are by single digits with the last three being decided by a single possession.

I don't know that they have the offense to beat us, but they should be able to hang defensively and what they do best (limiting pick and roll) is exactly what we want to do on offense. First team to 60 probably wins in a low scoring affair decided by single digits.

Narrator: Their offense was not bad enough.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2022, 06:33:53 PM »
Think again TAMU

I knew it would bite me in the a$$. Played down to our competition
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2022, 06:41:55 PM »
What nickname for Shaka?  I’m eagerly awaiting
You love to lurk on my posts
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2022, 10:47:25 PM »
I knew it would bite me in the a$$. Played down to our competition

Oh yeah? My arse has more teeth marks than yours!

If I were a gambler, I'd be loving that betting line. Looks like a gift to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback