Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Jimmy Butler A Future NBA Hall of Famer?  (Read 4712 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Is Jimmy Butler A Future NBA Hall of Famer?
« on: February 07, 2022, 09:45:17 AM »
Jimmy F’ing Butler has been named to his 6th All-Star team on top of his list of other accolades. Can’t imagine there are many players who make 6 All-Star teams and don’t get the nod.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 10:29:03 AM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
Re: Is Jimmy Butler A Future NBA Hall of Famer?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 09:48:47 AM »
I mean, sure, maybe. Basketball Hall of fame is pretty easy to get into, they'll count his college career as well.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
JFB's college career didn't come with many accolades though.  Honorable mention All BE for two years...and that's about it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 09:51:34 AM »
JFB's college career didn't come with many accolades though.  Honorable mention All BE for two years...and that's about it.

He earned the F middle initial.  How many players can say that?

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 09:53:50 AM »
Notable guys with 6 or more all star games but no hall of fame are Amar'e Stoudemire, Jermaine O'Neal, and Shawn Kemp. Joe Johnson has 7 and is just becoming eligible, and I'm not sure he's a lock.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 09:54:07 AM »
Jimmy F’ing Butler has been named to his 6th All-Star team on top of his list ther accolades. Can’t imagine there are many players who make 6 All-Star teams and don’t get the nod.

Thoughts?
There's a handful of 6 time All Stars not in the HoF, but it appears all 7+ time all stars are in.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 09:57:06 AM »
There's a handful of 6 time All Stars not in the HoF, but it appears all 7+ time all stars are in.

Someone called Larry Foust made 8 all star games in the 50s and is not in, pretty much only him though. Just go again next year and you can basically not worry about it.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 10:00:59 AM »
Notable guys with 6 or more all star games but no hall of fame are Amar'e Stoudemire, Jermaine O'Neal, and Shawn Kemp. Joe Johnson has 7 and is just becoming eligible, and I'm not sure he's a lock.

Stoudamire and O'Neal were really good players for awhile.  Shawn Kemp was a very bright light for a relatively brief moment.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 10:01:15 AM »

If JFB had a bunch of injuries or his career fizzled starting now, I would say he would fit in on that list.  So long as he keeps going at this level another 3+ years, he should be good. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »
Miami has a pretty loaded roster this year. If they win it all he will be without question.
VIOLENCE!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 10:03:12 AM »

Am I misremembering or did Jimmy’s college career look much better to the advanced stat guys than the guys who vote for that sort of thing?

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 10:06:28 AM »
Would feel bad for the victims of the "F" in his middle name while he was at Marquette if he got that recognition.  Least favorite MU player by a long shot.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
Miami has a pretty loaded roster this year. If they win it all he will be without question.

Yeah a healthy Miami is clear top 2 in the east(if the Nets stay imploded). So a shot at a ring is def on the table again.

Get that and hes locked in.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 10:09:17 AM »
Am I misremembering or did Jimmy’s college career look much better to the advanced stat guys than the guys who vote for that sort of thing?

Could be.  He just did a ton of basketball stuff really well and never really stood out at one particular thing.  Was never the leading scorer on his teams either.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 10:10:12 AM »
Least favorite MU player by a long shot.

Really?  Why?  I loved the guy.  Still do. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 10:11:28 AM »
Really?  Why?  I loved the guy.  Still do.

He was not a good human being in his time at Marquette, to put it lightly.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 10:11:45 AM »

According to at least one advanced stat guy (Valueaddbasketball), he was the 5th best player in the country his junior year (48th his senior year). Jimmy was likely undervalued because so much of his value came on the defensive side on the ball and on his ability to get to the free throw line, two things that are very important but not as sexy as scoring and rebounding stats.

As all MU fans know, he was Jimmy Fing Butler for a reason.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
According to at least one advanced stat guy (Valueaddbasketball), he was the 5th best player in the country his junior year (48th his senior year). Jimmy was likely undervalued because so much of his value came on the defensive side on the ball and on his ability to get to the free throw line, two things that are very important but not as sexy as scoring and rebounding stats.

As all MU fans know, he was Jimmy Fing Butler for a reason.

One of those advanced stat guys had Jae Crowder number one. Then Jae went in second round…….

Jae proved that guy right. He is a rock solid NBA contributor.
We Are Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »
One of those advanced stat guys had Jae Crowder number one. Then Jae went in second round…….

Jae proved that guy right. He is a rock solid NBA contributor.

A friend of mine who models draft picks had Jae at 12.  That year Jae was his biggest outlier from the conventional projections.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »
At this point I feel like he's in the "hall of very good for a long time" but not quite hall of fame. 

His number one career comp on basketball reference is Kawhi Leonard who will be a hall of famer...but Kawhi has two rings, two finals MVPs and two defensive POYs under his belt.  Jimmy doesn't have any of those.  And while it might not be his fault for not having a ring or a finals MVP, things like that matter for HOF consideration.

I think a ring or two and a finals MVP would go a long way to getting Jimmy in.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »
I would say no, but he's had a better career than Sidney Moncrief who is in the HoF. So maybe.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »
I mean, he ain't done yet guys. It's certainly within reach.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 11:01:51 AM »
At this point I feel like he's in the "hall of very good for a long time" but not quite hall of fame. 

His number one career comp on basketball reference is Kawhi Leonard who will be a hall of famer...but Kawhi has two rings, two finals MVPs and two defensive POYs under his belt.  Jimmy doesn't have any of those.  And while it might not be his fault for not having a ring or a finals MVP, things like that matter for HOF consideration.

I think a ring or two and a finals MVP would go a long way to getting Jimmy in.

Sheesh.  Jimmy is very good, but he is not Kawhi.  Kawhi has been arguably the best basketball player in the world a number of different years.  Jimmy has been somewhere between the 10th best and maybe like 30th best in the NBA in his prime.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 11:34:00 AM »
Sheesh.  Jimmy is very good, but he is not Kawhi.  Kawhi has been arguably the best basketball player in the world a number of different years.  Jimmy has been somewhere between the 10th best and maybe like 30th best in the NBA in his prime.

Yeah I think the win shares added methodology they use to generate comps can create some pretty odd matchups.  I mean, Jimmy's number two 10 year comp is Horace Grant which is doubly odd since Horace played a different position and their games were totally different in pretty much every way.

I don't know, maybe I'd be comfortable with saying that Jimmy is a poor man's version of Kawhi? (but def not poor since he's on a max contract)
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 11:40:38 AM »
I would say no, but he's had a better career than Sidney Moncrief who is in the HoF. So maybe.

He has?

feedback