Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goose deserves credit  (Read 4979 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Goose deserves credit
« on: February 03, 2022, 11:18:57 AM »
Very early in the season Goose mentioned that this was the beginning of a major resurgence at MU.  He stated repeatedly that we would remember this group as the foundation of many years of outstanding and excellent ball clubs.  I echoed his sentiments soon after, but was a bit cautious with all of our new pieces among a few other things.  Goose saw the whole picture very early and deserves props for his foresight.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
Re: Goose deserves credit
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 11:25:23 AM »
Muggsy

Goose has always seemed to give level-headed and reasonable takes, not too high and not too low, so his outward excitement over the Shaka hiring was enough to get me PUMPED for the next era of MUBB. Glad he was right, this has been quite the ride.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 11:26:25 AM »
Major props for Goose, Dgies, 5Dollar, and some of the others who correctly called some of the big wins this season. This has been beyond my wildest expectations. That said, we got a lot of season left and years to go before we can say we say
"many years of outstanding and excellent ball clubs". Let's finish strong and then come back next season even better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 11:27:24 AM »
Muggsy

Goose has always seemed to give level-headed and reasonable takes, not too high and not too low, so his outward excitement over the Shaka hiring was enough to get me PUMPED for the next era of MUBB. Glad he was right, this has been quite the ride.

Same. Early season goose had me ready to run through a wall.

This has been a much more fun process to trust in
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:44:15 AM »
Very early in the season Goose mentioned that this was the beginning of a major resurgence at MU.  He stated repeatedly that we would remember this group as the foundation of many years of outstanding and excellent ball clubs.  I echoed his sentiments soon after, but was a bit cautious with all of our new pieces among a few other things.  Goose saw the whole picture very early and deserves props for his foresight.

Ha!  100% correct Muggsy.  I still smile how over the top his enthusiasm for the new regime was from the beginning.  And the fact that he predicted immediate success unapologetically. It was either going to happen or there would have been extreme back pedaling.  Kudos to him.  He was right on the money. 

Defense like Shaka’ is no “fools gold”.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »
Goose went all in early.    Kudos.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 01:24:43 PM »
Five years to judge the Goose.

In all seriousness though, Goose started driving the Shaka bandwagon early--it was almost empty back then but is now filling up with people from all over the community.   
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 01:43:53 PM »
Muggsy

That's correct, he has level-headed takes.  Sometimes when I fly off the handle his words calm me down.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »
Goose knows basketball. That ruffles the feathers of some here who don’t.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 02:39:22 PM »

He grew up watching the same MU basketball that you and I watched. He knows what MU basketball is supposed to look like.

Great players came and went, but it was always Al’s team. Guys will come and go now, but each year it will be Shaka’s team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
I've been high on this team, but not sure anyone has been higher on them than Goose. I was optimistic for a trip to Dayton, now that feels pessimistic!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 02:45:50 PM »

You are getting the man wrong if you say basketball Lenny!  The man knows “ball”!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
Goostradamus!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 04:36:18 PM »
Hey Folks,

All credit to goes to Marquette University for hiring Shaka. Everything that I expected to happen fortunately all happened, creating one of the most exciting seasons in all of my years watching the program. The biggest factor that played into my optimism was Shaka had a lot to prove this season, not to MU but himself. In addition, I was 100% convinced that defense was the calling card of the program and he would have team buy in.

While I am not surprised by the position the team is in, I am floored by the overall quality of play this past month. That has surprised even me and my expectations for the season. I have no idea how far this time can go, but if everyone stays healthy, I do not think there will be many teams looking forward to playing the Warriors in March.

Again, credit to the University, Shaka and a real team effort. My expectations for the remainder of the year have risen a great deal and I fully expect the team to deliver the goods the remainder of the season. Last point, I am big believer in the eye test and this team passed it in November for me.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
Hey Folks,

All credit to goes to Marquette University for hiring Shaka. Everything that I expected to happen fortunately all happened, creating one of the most exciting seasons in all of my years watching the program. The biggest factor that played into my optimism was Shaka had a lot to prove this season, not to MU but himself. In addition, I was 100% convinced that defense was the calling card of the program and he would have team buy in.

While I am not surprised by the position the team is in, I am floored by the overall quality of play this past month. That has surprised even me and my expectations for the season. I have no idea how far this time can go, but if everyone stays healthy, I do not think there will be many teams looking forward to playing the Warriors in March.

Again, credit to the University, Shaka and a real team effort. My expectations for the remainder of the year have risen a great deal and I fully expect the team to deliver the goods the remainder of the season. Last point, I am big believer in the eye test and this team passed it in November for me.

Goose, you are too modest.  Now, since you have proven to be a hoops savant, is there anything I can do to improve my elevation and quicks? 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »
Major props for Goose, Dgies, 5Dollar, and some of the others who correctly called some of the big wins this season. This has been beyond my wildest expectations. That said, we got a lot of season left and years to go before we can say we say
"many years of outstanding and excellent ball clubs". Let's finish strong and then come back next season even better.
This
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 07:37:19 PM »
Goose never reported back on his pre-game bar bill.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 07:50:03 PM »
Amen. Goose knows his stuff…and knew long ago that Wojo was an empty suit

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2022, 09:11:15 PM »
He grew up watching the same MU basketball that you and I watched. He knows what MU basketball is supposed to look like.

Great players came and went, but it was always Al’s team. Guys will come and go now, but each year it will be Shaka’s team.

I agree with this analysis.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 08:22:15 AM »
Dr. B

I stated in another thread that I enjoyed pregame with my 28y son. Rather low key and pregame, beer at the game and parking was less than my winning wagers. A good night had by all.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »

Goose and I got to the same place very differently. Goose saw the hiring of Shaka as transformational — a strategic decision by the university to rebuild our program.

I saw several transfers coming in and inherently knew we were better than any pundit’s vision. It was very tactical and reflected what Shaka had been able to do.

Like Goose, I saw the beat of times and am hopeful we are at the edge of years of being a Blue Blood.  It I’ll give it to Goose, he is the visionary in here!

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2022, 10:47:03 AM »
Thanks TAMU. Best season of MUBB in almost a decade. The games are a main event in my house.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2022, 10:53:39 AM »
Nojo’s were the most enthusiastic about Shaka and it’s no coincidence
No Finish Line

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 11:09:19 AM »
Nojo’s were the most enthusiastic about Shaka and it’s no coincidence

I was enthusiastic about Shaka and a fresh start.  I wasn’t enthusiastic about their chances this year.  I think a lot of people are confusing the two.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2022, 11:17:00 AM »
Hey Folks,

I love the optimism, as I'm an optimist too, and I'm glad you and a few others saw the potential for this team early on.

As Rico, TAMU, I and others have said, most of us saw the potential for the program, saw the arrow definitely heading up. But I'm not gonna try to claim I expected anything as wonderful as we've seen so far.

Obviously I agree about giving credit to Marquette and all those involved who made things happen.

Totally enjoying the journey, and excited about the possibilities regarding the destination!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback