Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Providence Game Moved  (Read 12554 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Providence Game Moved
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 10:41:46 AM »
Probably waitin' on dis dude two blow inta town again, hey?

https://youtu.be/MqVGMLBOqnY
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 11:04:35 AM »
Probably has to do with traffic. Having people traveling to and from 12 hours after the storm is radically different than doing the same in the middle of it.

That certainly could be.

It's also a little strange to me that the team would fly home and then fly back with a storm looming if you're be there through the storm anyway, as opposed to just making the short trip to Providence and being there before the snow flies for sure.

I'll look forward to hearing the reasoning behind all this stuff, if it's ever made public.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 11:06:29 AM »
That certainly could be.

It's also a little strange to me that the team would fly home and then fly back with a storm looming if you're be there through the storm anyway, as opposed to just making the short trip to Providence and being there before the snow flies for sure.

I'll look forward to hearing the reasoning behind all this stuff, if it's ever made public.

Probably Cooley figuring that way we're jetlagged as opposed to adjusted to the road trip.

Honestly if I was Shaka I'd be fighting this time change tooth and nail.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 11:16:15 AM »
Wheel get a higher seed 'cuz da Committee's gonna facter dat inn, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »
Probably Cooley figuring that way we're jetlagged as opposed to adjusted to the road trip.

Honestly if I was Shaka I'd be fighting this time change tooth and nail.

Why?  If I'm Shaka, I'm saying "anybody, anywhere, anytime" and not fighting to continue to have a game during a winter storm.

It is more expensive to just stay out there, especially since this would be a bit of a last minute change.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 11:25:33 AM »
Why?  If I'm Shaka, I'm saying "anybody, anywhere, anytime" and not fighting to continue to have a game during a winter storm.

It is more expensive to just stay out there, especially since this would be a bit of a last minute change.

See im thinking why do they deserve to have a postponement just so their fans can get there? It's not like winter storms are unheard of in our league. Deal with it, especially if the team stays in the hotel connected to the arena.

I don't know much about how expensive charter flights are but is it actually cheaper to add two charter flights than 15 hotel rooms for 1 more night?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 11:26:05 AM »
That certainly could be.

They probably didn’t pack enough underwear.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2022, 11:28:24 AM »

Agree to all this but more so, Sunday is also a big question mark. Getting trapped idly in Providence breaks up the team momentum potentially. If they fly now, they know there actually will be a game.

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2022, 11:31:22 AM »
See im thinking why do they deserve to have a postponement just so their fans can get there? It's not like winter storms are unheard of in our league. Deal with it, especially if the team stays in the hotel connected to the arena.

I don't know much about how expensive charter flights are but is it actually cheaper to add two charter flights than 15 hotel rooms for 1 more night?

Its more than 15 hotel rooms and it would be two nights.  (Wednesday and Thursday)  Plus the travel from the NYC area to Providence.  Plus setting up time and locations to attend class, get homework done, team meetings, etc..  And you have to feed them too.

As for "deserving" to have their fans there...isn't that the reason they play the games???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »

OK. As I said, I don't have all the facts. Apparently you do, so thanks for this.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2022, 11:39:05 AM »

Do you really believe this decision was made due to expense?  I suspect chartering two round trip flights (versus just one) to the east coast is more expensive than the team bussing to Providence and staying two extra nights in a hotel.

I was surprised to hear they were going back to MKE last night..probably didn't get in 3am Central.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »
That certainly could be.

No idea if there's anything to it, but I think the team may have stayed on the East Coast. Saw a flight tracker that indicated they went to Newark but didn't fly back.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2022, 11:42:22 AM »
Do you really believe this decision was made due to expense?  I suspect chartering two round trip flights (versus just one) to the east coast is more expensive than the team bussing to Providence and staying two extra nights in a hotel.

I was surprised to hear they were going back to MKE last night..probably didn't get in 3am Central.

Expense and because perhaps Shaka wants to practice and prepare at home.  Maybe he wants the players in class.  I don't know.

But this is hardly the first time a Marquette coach has done this.  In fact, my guess is most the time this is exactly what they do versus staying out east a few nights.

No idea if there's anything to it, but I think the team may have stayed on the East Coast. Saw a flight tracker that indicated they went to Newark but didn't fly back.

That's different than what I saw somewhere (Twitter?), but either way is perfectly reasonable.  Travelling back to the midwest between two east coast games has been done before though, so it is hardly out of the ordinary.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:44:02 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2022, 11:46:05 AM »

Its more than 15 hotel rooms and it would be two nights.  (Wednesday and Thursday)  Plus the travel from the NYC area to Providence.  Plus setting up time and locations to attend class, get homework done, team meetings, etc..  And you have to feed them too.

As for "deserving" to have their fans there...isn't that the reason they play the games???

How many rooms do you think it is?

15 players, ones red shirting so shouldn't be on the road. That's 7 rooms for players.

6 coaches, thats 3 rooms (unless director of recruiting and director video go as well?)

Factor in a tutor, trainer, team Chaplin, figured 15 plus or minus a couple is accurate unless you're nitpicking a room or two just to be right?

The travel and everything should already be set up, and since it's a weekend extension any of the other concerns except food shouldn't matter.

Edit: to be fair, my entire hypothetical is set up that they are currently staying out east not in MKE. Doesn't matter to me when they fly to Providence if they came right back to MKE.

Hell no, you play to win. did it matter when we played @SJU during the blizzard a few years back? Did fans matter for all of last season? Do fans matter to DePaul? They've had this big east regular title handed to them with the difficult games cancelled, they shouldn't get to say "but our home court advantage is gone because the storm can we please move it back?"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:48:34 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2022, 11:51:58 AM »

15 players, ones red shirting so shouldn't be on the road. That's 7 rooms for players.

6 coaches, thats 3 rooms (unless director of recruiting and director video go as well?)

Factor in a tutor, trainer, team Chaplin, figured 15 plus or minus a couple is accurate unless you're nitpicking a room or two just to be right?

The travel and everything should already be set up, and since it's a weekend extension any of the other concerns except food shouldn't matter.

Edit: to be fair, my entire hypothetical is set up that they are currently staying out east not in MKE. Doesn't matter to me when they fly to Providence if they came right back to MKE.

Hell no, you play to win. did it matter when we played @SJU during the blizzard a few years back? Did fans matter for all of last season? Do fans matter to DePaul? They've had this big east regular title handed to them with the difficult games cancelled, they shouldn't get to say "but our home court advantage is gone because the storm can we please move it back?"

Redshirting players still travel with the team because you can always take the redshirt off. The exception was for sit-out transfers or anyone who isn't eligible to play. But someone like Itejere could suit up at any time, so no reason to think he wouldn't travel with the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2022, 11:52:28 AM »

I doubt coaches share hotel rooms.

LOL, you are making way too big a deal out of a simple reschedule.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2022, 11:53:06 AM »
If the team did in fact fly home last night, then I’m thinking an extra day/night at home before more travel won’t hurt us (assuming they fly out on Saturday rather than Friday.) If they fly in ahead of the storm, still ok. More time to recoup before some Friar casserole is served.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2022, 11:58:53 AM »
If the team did in fact fly home last night, then I’m thinking an extra day/night at home before more travel won’t hurt us (assuming they fly out on Saturday rather than Friday.) If they fly in ahead of the storm, still ok. More time to recoup before some Friar casserole is served.
I am currently in class with Oso as I am typing this. Can confirm that they flew back last night

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:20 AM »
I doubt coaches share hotel rooms.

But it is an assumption so you're as in the dark as me.

LOL, you are making way too big a deal out of a simple reschedule.

I wouldn't give a damn if we weren't in a position where we are competing with this team for a big east title. I'll take any advantage we can get, lord knows Providence is.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:28 PM »
I am currently in class with Oso as I am typing this. Can confirm that they flew back last night

Well thanks you just ruined a great 5 page argument that me and fluffy could've had. Now it's all pointless and I have to work.

Also ask him if the coaches share hotel rooms.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2022, 12:02:05 PM »
Well thanks you just ruined a great 5 page argument that me and fluffy could've had. Now it's all pointless and I have to work.

Also ask him if the coaches share hotel rooms.
Lol shouldn't have ruined the moment

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2022, 01:03:01 PM »

Ask him to smuggle a bat into the Dunk, OK?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2022, 01:12:44 PM »

This reminds me of all the time I spent online reading MUScoop during classes when I was at Marquette.

Then after class, I'd take my flying saucer over to Spacely Sprockets to make a little spending money.

(Oh, and thanks for the info.)

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
Broeker just tweeted this:

Mike Broeker
@mikebroeker
·
12m
Replying to
@go_marquette
Nothing has been communicated to us at this time.  Monitoring weather pattern and discussing with PC and BE.  Decision coming soon.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2022, 01:51:26 PM »
I am going to be in Sin City this weekend.  Don't hate the change as I would have been watching from my phone on Sat, but 9am gametime on Sunday will be rough.  Oh well - should at least be able to watch in bed as I am nursing my wounds.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.