[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Dominic James and Tom Crean To Be Honored At Halftime Sunday  (Read 10651 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Dominic James and Tom Crean To Be Honored At Halftime Sunday
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 06:02:28 AM »
For those complaining how TC left. It was 15 years ago and obviously Marquette moved on. It would be best for us to as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 07:29:20 AM »
Both deserve it. Still hate the way Crean left (not that he left for IU) but a FF is a big deal and he deserves the honor. Dominic was great, I think he is an all time great.

lol, “the way he left”

Crean LEAVING was the best thing that happened to #mubb.  My bigger problem with him is how he came / that he came.

TC is like the CMO of a company who finally approves a marketing budget, no crap he did ok, we changed the game for him. 

But I need to take a deep breath and remember that without TC, there’s no Buzz.  Buzz brought us the closest to Al so have appreciate Tom for that.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2022, 07:36:19 AM »
For those complaining how TC left. It was 15 years ago and obviously Marquette moved on. It would be best for us to as well.

Wrong, it will be 14 glorious years on April 1 dat da mf'er left, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2022, 07:50:25 AM »

Agreed. It’s kind of like Favre to me. Now that so much time has passed, I just choose to remember the good times.

Also, I think it helps he didn’t get to a Final Four with Indiana. It would have been tough to see him get to the top with IU and wonder if he could have done it here.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2022, 07:54:24 AM »
Never really understood how people hated a guy that brought Marquette Dwayne Wade and a Final Four.

Granted I never really had any personal experiences with him outside of a friendly interaction when he brought us donuts and coffee outside of the Bradley Center at 8AM.

I get that he was a salesman, perhaps a phony salesman, but that was to him, in his mind, the best way to promote his team. Sure he wanted personal gain as well, but what career man doesn’t?

I guess I never really understood the hate for a Texan that brought Marquette so many wins and huge tourney success, but I was never asked to flush either…

I never really understood the hatred for a man that cleaned up the program and had 0 bar brawls and rape scandals under his tenure, the man that brought us Markus Howard, but then I realized it’s been almost a decade since my beloved Marquette has won a tourney game.

I guess what I’m saying is that if you had some personal experiences with tanned Tommy and he was a dbag I get it. That said, if you take a step back it’s easy to see that he did a lot for Marquette University no?

Time to bury the hatchet, amirite?!?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:57:07 AM by DoctorV »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2022, 07:59:00 AM »

Wrong, it will be 14 glorious years on April 1 dat da mf'er left, hey?

I guess I’m not as obsessed with him as you are.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2022, 08:18:11 AM »
Never really understood how people hated a guy that brought Marquette Dwayne Wade and a Final Four.

Granted I never really had any personal experiences with him outside of a friendly interaction when he brought us donuts and coffee outside of the Bradley Center at 8AM.

I get that he was a salesman, perhaps a phony salesman, but that was to him, in his mind, the best way to promote his team. Sure he wanted personal gain as well, but what career man doesn’t?

I guess I never really understood the hate for a Texan that brought Marquette so many wins and huge tourney success, but I was never asked to flush either…

I never really understood the hatred for a man that cleaned up the program and had 0 bar brawls and rape scandals under his tenure, the man that brought us Markus Howard, but then I realized it’s been almost a decade since my beloved Marquette has won a tourney game.

I guess what I’m saying is that if you had some personal experiences with tanned Tommy and he was a dbag I get it. That said, if you take a step back it’s easy to see that he did a lot for Marquette University no?

Time to bury the hatchet, amirite?!?

First of all, learn how to spell.  It’s Dwyane.  Put some f’n respect on his name. 

Second of all, we quadrupled the spend and relaxed the requirements.  Of course Tom did well.  Any young coach coming in with no admission barriers and a huge budget would do it too.

The state was full of studs; Travis, Steve, Merritt and then in Chicago there’s a partial qualifier.  The road was paved with Gold.  All Tom had to do was drive his ATV over it and not tip over.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 09:02:46 AM »
Still waitin' on da Tommy and Joanie Memorial Soccer Megaplex ta bea started, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »

Agree

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 09:25:15 AM »
First of all, learn how to spell.  It’s Dwyane.  Put some f’n respect on his name. 

Second of all, we quadrupled the spend and relaxed the requirements.  Of course Tom did well.  Any young coach coming in with no admission barriers and a huge budget would do it too.

The state was full of studs; Travis, Steve, Merritt and then in Chicago there’s a partial qualifier.  The road was paved with Gold.  All Tom had to do was drive his ATV over it and not tip over.

Not necessarily a gaurantee. During Buzz's last two years and wojos first couple WI had constant 5 stars and high 4 stars. Not all stayed in state (hero, tokoto, Johnson, stone, looney, the hausers) and as seen by Wojo getting studs and spending more doesn't always do it
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 09:36:35 AM »
Congratulations to DJ and Crean.   Many great games with the 3 Amigos.  Really enjoyed watching them their four years at MU.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 09:47:59 AM »
CTC's strength was he is a program builder. Al knew and was good at that.  After Al MU had a bunch of basketball coaches. Then came CTC who knew putting fans in the seats and keeping them there was a big part of the job. Buzz had his moments and then he didn't (Mac interview, Buzz v. Admin). With Wojo, we were back to a coach. Now we are back with Shaka who is again a builder.

I think every coach since Al was better or equal at Xs and Os with Crean (maybe not Piano Man), but no one made a MU game a destination event like CTC did.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 10:48:47 AM »
CTC's strength was he is a program builder. Al knew and was good at that.  After Al MU had a bunch of basketball coaches. Then came CTC who knew putting fans in the seats and keeping them there was a big part of the job. Buzz had his moments and then he didn't (Mac interview, Buzz v. Admin). With Wojo, we were back to a coach. Now we are back with Shaka who is again a builder.

I think every coach since Al was better or equal at Xs and Os with Crean (maybe not Piano Man), but no one made a MU game a destination event like CTC did.

I 100% agree on this.  I kid in MU text threads that we should bring him back next season as CMO.  Men’s games have gotten stale.  We were at the women’s game on Sunday and every timeout was hot.  Much better vibe.   Tom knew when play Cottoned Eye Joe.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »
I guess I’m not as obsessed with him as you are.

He literally lied to Fr. Wild.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2022, 11:13:44 AM »

Did he go to confession after? Because then it doesn't matter.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »

Well Marquette seems to have gotten over it since then. Perhaps you should too.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »

Regardless of the circumstances around the program when he was hired, he deserves credit no matter how many people want to minimize it. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 12:37:24 PM »
Well Marquette seems to have gotten over it since then. Perhaps you should too.

Fluff, maybe you should get over people whose opinions differ from yours.

Yes, he told a monster lie. 

I’m also struck by the couple of players I know who played for him that are still very tight with him.   

He was a major dumb a$$ with how he left.  Fact.  Has he grown, and acknowledged his mistake?  Perhaps.  If so, I can live with that. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
I could care less that he left. Adios mf'er and the horse you rode in on. The dude's a phony and a fraud, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2022, 12:49:40 PM »

I’m also struck by the couple of players I know who played for him that are still very tight with him.   

He was a major dumb a$$ with how he left.  Fact.  Has he grown, and acknowledged his mistake?  Perhaps.  If so, I can live with that. 

I don't care if your opinion is different than mine.

Marquette hasn't held a grudge so neither will I.  And at this point, it says more about the people who go out of their way to  bash him than it does about TC.

I could care less that he left. Adios mf'er and the horse you rode in on. The dude's a phony and a fraud, aina?

If on cue...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 12:53:32 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2022, 12:52:02 PM »

Fair enough.  I feel this way about a lot of local athletes and coaches.  Crean rubbed a lot of people this way
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2022, 12:52:55 PM »

Telling very, very big lies is bad then, correct?

I just want to make sure I understand the rules.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2022, 12:55:57 PM »
Furthermore, IMO this isn't just because he is a former coach that he getting this honor.  I doubt Buzz ever steps foot again on campus.

Really weird that people will continue to bash TC, who has been nothing but complimentary to MU since he left, but will fawn over Buzz who crapped all over the University on his way out the door.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2022, 01:04:48 PM »
I don't care if your opinion is different than mine.

Marquette hasn't held a grudge so neither will I.  And at this point, it says more about the people who go out of their way to  bash him than it does about TC.

If on cue...

Yes, if on cue…