[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hyperbole or No?  (Read 9692 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Hyperbole or No?
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:07:07 PM »
Is this statement hyperbole or accurate?

Abilene Christian over Texas is the best thing to happen to Marquette University (not just basketball) in the past decade.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Hyperbole or No?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 03:09:04 PM »
If basketball is your highest priority for Marquette it is.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 03:11:25 PM »

Abilene Christian over Texas is the best thing to happen to Marquette University (not just basketball) in the past decade.

That includes the 2012 DJO-led E8 S16 run and the 2013 Vander-led S16 run. (edited for correctness)

You may be right in a few years, but I can't agree with you halfway through Shaka's first season. Hyperbole.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:30:07 PM by Skatastrophy »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 03:12:32 PM »
If basketball is your highest priority for Marquette it is.

My argument would be enrollment, applications, national recognition etc. could very well skyrocket with the basketball program being successful vs. plummet with apathy towards the basketball program.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 03:14:35 PM »
My freshman year was the year MU won the national championship.
So, the absolute peak of MU basketball history.
How has the university done since then?

But I am sure there is some truth to it.
My wife is a Davidson graduate.  I am pretty sure admission applications increased with the Stephen Curry lead NCAA run.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 03:18:15 PM by NCMUFan »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »
I believe this will go down as the single greatest hire for the university, not just the basketball program. MU needed a shot in the arm and one has been provided. Granted times are different, but how many on here (especially over 40 crowd) picked MU because we knew the basketball program and that was part of the decision making process. MU needs asses in the classroom more than they do in FF and Shaka very well might help fill up some classrooms.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 03:23:17 PM »
MU needed a shot in the arm and one has been provided.

Need three or four, though.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 03:28:51 PM »
Maybe this is worth a poll.  If attended MU during Al's reign, how many included strong BB program in their higher education institution decision.
Mine was kind of biased from the start, as my father was a MU grad from the dental school and graduate school of dentistry.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 03:33:10 PM »
Maybe this is worth a poll.  If attended MU during Al's reign, how many included strong BB program in their higher education institution decision.
Mine was kind of biased from the start, as my father was a MU grad from the dental school and graduate school of dentistry.
I started in Fall of '99 (Crean's first year). History professor said something like "Maybe some of you came to Marquette because we have a good basketball team (or had a good basketball team)" and I was thoroughly confused because I had been following them since deciding and saw that they were exceptionally mediocre. I was excited to get season tickets as part of the college experience but I had no sense of MU history at that point and it played no role in my decision.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 03:36:46 PM »
That includes the 2012 DJO-led S16 run and the 2013 Vander-led S16 run. (edited for correctness)

You may be right in a few years, but I can't agree with you halfway through Shaka's first season. Hyperbole.

2013 was a E8

Props for saying DJO led 2012 team someone's at home seething you said him not crowder
Maigh Eo for Sam

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 04:14:44 PM »

To make sure that all discussion lead back to prior coaches, I would say the leaving/firing of Buzz was the best thing in the past decade.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »

I started in fall 1980, so I grew up during Al's reign (with my dad as a STH). Even though Hank had taken over, hoops definitely played a role in my school decision.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 08:58:03 PM »

As that game ended, I phoned my buddy and said “Texas losing this game may be best thing to happen for Marquette basketball.” I did not say “ever” though.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 09:08:34 PM »
Wait.  I thought the publication of this was the single greatest thing to happen in the last decade:
https://painttouches.com/2021/03/18/the-case-against-wojo/

In seriousness though, it's (1) too early... and (2) ACU vs. Texas alone doesn't get us Shaka.  A series of things were needed.  Finding $$s to get rid of Wojo, actually doing it, etc.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 09:13:37 PM »

I started in fall 1980, so I grew up during Al's reign (with my dad as a STH). Even though Hank had taken over, hoops definitely played a role in my school decision.

18 year old drinking age swayed me.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 09:45:14 PM »

Yur fader wur da no-English tipe-in dentyst? Sorre 4 u.

Bjorn DeAngelo

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 09:51:16 PM »
My argument would be enrollment, applications, national recognition etc. could very well skyrocket with the basketball program being successful vs. plummet with apathy towards the basketball program.

It definitely helps but not sure basketball success has as much of an impact on applications and enrollment as many people think.  I thought it would have had a larger impact than it actually did during the last 3 Buzz years, but MU's geographic footprint hasn't expanded all that much over the years.  Aren't 75% of all undergrads from either IL or WI?  And of those, I'd guess the vast majority grew up with 100 miles of MKE.   That's been the case for as long as I can remember.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 09:56:09 PM »

Right now, slight hyperbole (8 years, not quite a decade).

My hope is that in time it proves to be an understatement.

connie

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 10:09:47 PM »
I admit things are looking good, but slow your roll.  Hyperbole for now.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 10:14:24 PM »
My favorite stinger of the ACU is Joe Golding. He was the ACU coach that beat Shaka. Because of that win, Texas let Shaka walk, which led to Texas hiring Chris Beard, which led to Beard hiring UTEP head coach Rodney Terry as an assistant, which led to UTEP hiring ACU coach Joe Golding as their new head coach.

So Golding beating Shaka started a series of dominoes that got Golding himself a new job.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 10:19:20 PM »
Freshman during the 1973-74 school year/basketball season -- just in time for the final four & 1st national championship game. Coming from western New York state, I would not have considered or probably even heard of Marquette if not for Al McGuire & basketball. I picked the school because it had the academic program I wanted. But being able to see an exciting top-10, national title contending basketball team led by one of the most famous coaches in the country absolutely helped put Marquette over the few other similar universities I considered. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 03:49:10 AM »
Granted times are different, but how many on here (especially over 40 crowd) picked MU because we knew the basketball program and that was part of the decision making process

Age 36. Huge part of the decision making process for me haha.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 04:58:52 AM »
Granted times are different, but how many on here (especially over 40 crowd) picked MU because we knew the basketball program and that was part of the decision making process.

Most definitely. Two years later we were in the Final Four, and I thought it would be that way forever.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 06:10:56 AM »

Marcus Howard

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 06:21:48 AM »
18 year old drinking age swayed me.

Ding ding.