[Today at 08:12:53 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could we be Shaka's forever home?  (Read 12975 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: Could we be Shaka's forever home?
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2022, 01:48:52 AM »
For all the talk of Shaka being from WI, he hates the Madison area due to the racism he experienced growing up.  Most of that was in Oregon, WI, where the played in HS, but the Madison area does have the best track record of treatment of young black men.

I had never heard that - has he spoken about that before?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2022, 04:40:28 AM »
I always assumed it was Sand Knit reincarnated

Most definitely. And Sand Knit wasn't his first incarnation either.

But he's been a miserable poster with terrible basketball takes from the beginning.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 07:29:56 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2022, 04:50:23 AM »
As for the original question, he’s still only 44 and has been here less than a year. I think forgetful might be right that the NBA might be what lures him away.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2022, 06:29:42 AM »
As for the original question, he’s still only 44 and has been here less than a year. I think forgetful might be right that the NBA might be what lures him away.

As long as it's after he cuts down a net in April, I'm good with that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2022, 06:56:05 AM »
For all the talk of Shaka being from WI, he hates the Madison area due to the racism he experienced growing up.  Most of that was in Oregon, WI, where the played in HS, but the Madison area does have the best track record of treatment of young black men.

I have heard the same
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2022, 07:05:11 AM »
Much like with players transferring its really hard to know someones true feelings and obviously how that could change in 5-10 years.

But I do really think this is his college spot. Something crazy would have to happen here and/or a big time offer would have to come.

As for NBA, I really don't see him as a guy NBA covets hard. But if he does end up in NBA. Probably a really good chance we at the very least have another final four to our history
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2022, 07:31:29 AM »

I also don't think he was ever much of a Badger fan as a kid either.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2022, 07:32:15 AM »
I have to think if he can create a program like Villanova, why not stay at a place he is very comfortable like the state of Wisconsin and Marquette.
The only team I could think of getting him away of Marquette is UW-Madison.
Edited my original post to make it more clear.
I didn't know about his early years near Madison.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2022, 07:57:33 AM »
Nobody can know how Shaka's thinking now about what he hopes for his career, or what he'll be thinking in X number of years after he's had success here. If his Marquette teams perform as well as we all hope they do, he will have some incredible options, and he'll still be young.

Will he be the next Jay Wright and Mark Few, content to have his own fiefdom at a school that had been considered a stepping-stone job? Or will he aspire to take what he's learned at VCU, Texas and Marquette to a blueblood or the NBA?

Those who don't "see" him in the NBA ... did you see Brad Stevens as an NBA coach? I sure didn't. How 'bout Lon Kruger? I wasn't surprised that he left Illinois, but that he went to the Hawks was shocking at the time. There's a lot to love about coaching in the NBA, with no recruiting and big $$$ being at the top of the list.

And, of course, loyalty goes both ways. Even Williams, Wright, Calipari, etc, have had a down season or two. How patient will Marquette folks be if we miss the NCAAs 2 years in a row like Crean did after the FF? It's easy to say now, "We just made the FF, so that gives him a lot of goodwill," but in general sports fans (and boosters) have gotten less patient and less willing to "accept mediocrity" even for a month or two, let alone a for a year or two.

Gut feeling: Shaka will be here at least for several March runs to the second weekend and beyond. A decade-plus? I'd say that's more likely than him leaving after 5 seasons (and a Final Four run or two).

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2022, 08:03:46 AM »
Here's why I think Shaka would draw NBA interest.

First, he plays a style that the NBA is playing right now.  Look at the ways that his offense uses the PNR and ball movement to get people high quality shots. Defensively, his teams are solid.

Second, he is a GREAT locker room guy.  Now would his work in the college ranks translate to the pros?  Not 100% sure, but he isn't one of these dictatorial types who wouldn't be able to connect with his players.  He also understands when to simply let his players play.

Now, is this going to happen this year or next?  Doubtful.  Would he have any interest?  I have no idea.  But if he is successful in the next 5-10 years here, I could see why there may be mutual interest.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2022, 08:08:14 AM »
Well said, FBM.

If Shaka can re-establish himself as a highly successful college coach, in many ways he would be the perfect NBA coaching candidate.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2022, 08:17:13 AM »
If Shaka leaves, I hope he knows many on scoop will crucify him for decades
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2022, 08:22:22 AM »
Shaka must be the odds on favorite at this point for BECOY and if we can keep this level of success he'll have to be in the convo for National COY.

If the success builds game on game and year on year does he make MU his forever home? I think that prospect excites me as much or more as the hope for some NCAA success over the next few seasons.
national coy? I’m thinking UW’s Gard to this point of the season.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 08:51:47 AM »

I will pray hard that we don't crucify him.  An actual Crucifixion would be bad for recruiting.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2022, 08:54:11 AM »
national coy? I’m thinking UW’s Gard to this point of the season.

"in the convo" at this point. Is different than being the winner.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 09:00:43 AM »
I remember us having similar conversations about how Duke would lure Wojo away. The lesson I’ve learned from that is to just not worry about it, if Shaka leaves for an NBA job that will have meant that he had an incredible amount of success here, that’s all that should really matter.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 09:04:47 AM »

Effen Eddie Hickey. Left Al a bare cupboard.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
Could it be?  Sure.

But frankly don't really think this discussions are worth it. None of us know.  One thing on our side is Shaka has had that big time football school job already, and it didn't go great.  This seems like a better fit.  But a really nice 3-5 year run and some blue bloods may come calling again, and you just never know.  Hope that's a problem we have, but I decided to stop worrying about and predicting coaches movement when Buzz left for VT.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 09:24:12 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2022, 09:35:28 AM »

Shaka at some date in the future:

"Yes, I considered the NBA job, with its much better pay, fewer 100-hour weeks, and significantly higher social status. But in the end, I decided to stay at Marquette because I did not want posters on MUScoop to say mean things about me."
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »

"Yes, I considered the NBA job, with its much better pay, fewer 100-hour weeks, and significantly higher social status. But in the end, I decided to stay at Marquette because I did not want posters on MUScoop to say mean things about me."

Well, if that is what it takes...

More likely is that he will have a subpar season and suddenly half of the board wants him fired.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2022, 09:40:27 AM »
There are only 30 NBA jobs available.

If Shaka is even in that conversation down the road, let’s all just enjoy the parade down Wisconsin Ave

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2022, 09:42:09 AM »

He understandably fears a Scoop letter-writing campaign.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 09:43:23 AM »
The fact that Shaka has been to the other side of the hill and seen that the grass isn't greener was 100% a factor in his selection.

Despite some claiming that the MU admin doesn't care about winning,  the goal has always been a return to blue blood status. The only way to do that is to hire a young coach,  show him loyalty in his early years,  hope that coach starts to win big, and then somehow keep him from getting poached. I think they got their man

Brother TAMU:

You hit this one right on the head. I'm confident he's here for the long-haul because of the Texas experience. Go to a massive state-based institution and the expectation is "win now... win tomorrow... win forever." A bad season and some goofy alumni sends a moving truck to your door.

We expect to be a blue blood and to win. But even look at Al... he had his moments of "close but no cigar." Our team choked a few times as well. Same can be said for Coach K and Dean Smith. But all of these people had one thing in common -- a culture of winning and a legitimate shot at a Natty.

If we had signed Shaka seven years ago, I'd argue we'd be a stop on the road. Now, I'm hopeful, we're the next Blue Blood! Goose and I and some of the other older Scoopers have to meet at the next Natty!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2022, 10:05:54 AM »
There are only 30 NBA jobs available.

If Shaka is even in that conversation down the road, let’s all just enjoy the parade down Wisconsin Ave

This got me curious on what level of success is usually required to for a college coach to get hired by the NBA. Here's what I've got since the 90s (did I miss anyone?):

John Beilein: 2 National Runner Ups, 2 Elite Eights, 3 Sweet 16s
Billy Donovan: 2 National Championships, 1 National Runner Up, 1 Final Four, 3 Elite Eights, 1 Sweet 16
Fred Hoiberg: 1 Sweet 16
Brad Stevens: 2 National Runner Ups
Reggie Theus: 1 NCAA Tournament Appearance? (Anyone know the story here? Nostalgia from him playing for Sacramento?)
Mike Montgomery: 1 Final Four, 1 Elite Eight, 1 Sweet 16
Leonard Hamilton: 1 Sweet 16
Lon Krueger: 1 Final Four, 1 Elite Eight
Tim Floyd: 1 Sweet 16
Rick Pitino (being hired by Boston, not New York): 1 National Championship, 1 National Runner Up, 2 Final Fours, 2 Elite Eights
John Calipari: 1 Final Four, 1 Elite Eight, 1 Sweet 16
PJ Carlesimo: 1 National Runner Up, 1 Elite Eight, 1 Sweet 16

So as long as Shaka isn't getting hired by the Kings or the Bulls (from Iowa State), it looks like we would be enjoying some fun times if he were to ever be sought after by the NBA. Also interesting that with the possible exception of Stevens (and maybe Donovan if the Bulls keep it up), none of these guys were particularly successful in the NBA and all of them except for Carlesimo, Donovan, and Stevens (so far) ended up coaching in the college ranks again.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.