Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Finneran's wake the f up  (Read 16271 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Finneran's wake the f up
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2022, 10:22:24 PM »
As heady as tonight is, I still can't get away from thinking that we'd be tied with Nova if we hadn't blown the Creighton game. Trying to forget it, trying to forget it, trying to fo....
I understand.
I’m done saying we’re 3-3, should be 4-2 though.
We’re 4-3, but really we should be 5-2, etc.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:02 PM »
Couple years???  Talk about cult of low expectations!  8-)

Nattering nabobs of negativism!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2022, 10:23:11 PM »
To think people wanted to keep Wojo as coach.

Who?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2022, 10:26:47 PM »
Can't lose sight of the fact that MU got down 9 to Nova in their house of horrors and found a way to claw themselves all the way back, plus 3.

The BAM, BAM, BAM, sequence was gargantuan.  Greg made that lefty finish off the steal look easy.  It was smooth and took me by surprise.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »

Loved the 2 plays by Lewis in the last minute.

Problem is that NBA scouts love that too.

That’s a good problem to have. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2022, 10:28:51 PM »
The respect the process narrative has been put to bed, go warriors! Big finish!!

New process to respect now… the letdown after a big win will come eventually, and then we will see how the fellas respond.

You are right in a sense though-
Respecting the process with regards to not making the dance would be a huge letdown now.

Lets get it and go one step beyond, bring home a dub.

Don’t forget, Shaka needs an NCAA tourney monkey off his back too, almost as much as Marquette does.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »
I love this team, that's all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2022, 10:31:24 PM »
The BAM, BAM, BAM, sequence was gargantuan.  Greg made that lefty finish off the steal look easy.  It was smooth and took me by surprise.
That was an awesome sequence, but his three later was even better. I was sure he was moving way too much laterally to make that shot, but it was pure.

If only he was a three point shooter...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2022, 10:33:01 PM »

Loved the 2 plays by Lewis in the last minute.

Problem is that NBA scouts love that too.

That's OK. That's the toll that a team with good players pays.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2022, 10:38:21 PM »
I get why Shaka says respect the process, he is trying to back down expectations… this program should expect success and is getting that earlier than the self proclaimed experts would believed. It is great to see! Now let’s go for the art of the possible!!

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2022, 10:40:21 PM »
Can't lose sight of the fact that MU got down 9 to Nova in their house of horrors and found a way to claw themselves all the way back, plus 3.

Down 36-45 with 11 minutes left. Below the Marquettes points the rest of the game

Greg 3

Jop 3 as shot clock winds down and he’s asking for the ball, ice cold

Greg 3 on long rebound

Greg layup after the deflection

Greg 3 on fast break

Justin 2

Justin 2

Justin 3 dagger.

JLew 3 and GE 3 were the only points scored before that 10:59 mark.

Obviously a ton of great defense in the last 10 minutes.

As I said in the SOG thread Greg and Justin deserve to split that award tonight. Justin was amazing and hit the game winner but so was Greg.

Oh and how about the chops on David Joplin begging for that ball and then canning that 3? Need more of that dude when Marquette needs to find points

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2022, 10:42:56 PM »
Shaka has a nice feel when to deploy Joplin and Kam, Dr. V.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2022, 10:51:24 PM »
Held Gillespie to 4-13 shooting, mostly thanks to DM.

I felt O-Max and Kolek defended Gillespie more than DM?  Wasn't DM defending Moore most of the game?  Whatever the case, the hard hedge by Kur and Oso on the ball screens disrupted Gillespie. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »
That was an awesome sequence, but his three later was even better. I was sure he was moving way too much laterally to make that shot, but it was pure.

If only he was a three point shooter...

Yea..that was an incredibly difficult shot, and nothing but net.  HUGE shot!

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2022, 10:58:34 PM »
What has been so exciting to me with this team's development is that now nearly every f*cking one of our perimeter players can defend with alacrity; not just Morsell, but the young guys, the bench guys, the role guys, the stretch guys, everyone.

Having Kur back there as an eraser is great, but guards and stretch 4's being able to defend top level dribble penetrators without fouling is what brings tears to my eyes.

#DisrespectTheProcess
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2022, 11:00:28 PM »
Shaka has a nice feel when to deploy Joplin and Kam, Dr. V.

100%

And Oso/Kur. He pretty much knows how to use all of his guys to try to put them in spots to succeed.

His switch to Kam in the starting 5 followed by Omax back in after Kam went out was a good one too.

Omax has grown a lot on me and I won’t disrespect him again because he’s earned his role on this team.

How about not limiting Darryl’s minutes when he started struggling offensively?
He’s been huge of late.
Ditto with Kur when Oso caught fire.
Ditto with Greg when Greg started slow.

I have a sense that an arrival to the big show is due for David Joplin real soon too, and that might force Shakas hand to adjust his rotation again to get him more minutes, but I’m sure he will figure it out successfully

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2022, 11:00:40 PM »
Gosh, this team man…

https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1484016693223505920?s=21

They're so much fun .

Watched it on delay. Holy crap does this team fight. And fight for each other.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2022, 11:00:44 PM »
I felt O-Max and Kolek defended Gillespie more than DM?  Wasn't DM defending Moore most of the game?  Whatever the case, the hard hedge by Kur and Oso on the ball screens disrupted Gillespie.
You might very well be correct. I know DM started on him but I do remember Kolek on him a lot too as well as OMax out on the parameter on him.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2022, 11:04:27 PM »

True.  Morsell had Justin Moore whenever they were in the game at the same time. Team defense is outstanding, Morsell is so tough on that end of the court, but the entire team deserves credit - they are connected.  Never saw defense like this under Wojo, really not since Buzz, Jimmy & Jae.  Can you imagine beating Nova on the road scoring 57, with Wojo on the sideline?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2022, 11:08:10 PM »
I have a sense that an arrival to the big show is due for David Joplin real soon too, and that might force Shakas hand to adjust his rotation again to get him more minutes, but I’m sure he will figure it out successfully

I heard a quote from Shaka recently that he has been telling Joplin he will lead the Big East in scoring by the time he is done here, so he obviously thinks very highly of him.

I agree that Joplin will have a big game or two before the season is over, but regardless I think he’ll make a huge jump next year. He has a lot of potential. Personally, I will be surprised if Lewis is here next year, so Joplin will have lots more chances.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2022, 11:09:32 PM »
True.  Morsell had Justin Moore whenever they were in the game at the same time. Team defense is outstanding, Morsell is so tough on that end of the court, but the entire team deserves credit - they are connected.  Never saw defense like this under Wojo, really not since Buzz, Jimmy & Jae.  Can you imagine beating Nova on the road scoring 57, with Wojo on the sideline?

Plenty of games left this year, but this team rates better defensively than all but one of Buzz’s teams. 2011 with Jae and DJO as seniors.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2022, 11:10:22 PM »
You might very well be correct. I know DM started on him but I do remember Kolek on him a lot too as well as OMax out on the parameter on him.

The perimeter defense was outstanding tonight. I don’t think Nova had many open looks.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2022, 11:30:35 PM »
351st in experience

3rd in assists percent (66% of baskets)

Top 10% in overall defense and opponents field goal percentage.

Wow.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2022, 11:32:54 PM »
Saw Kolek go right up to JLew after that final triple and I wondered what the exchange was ; now I know - per postgame JSOnline article….
“Then after pulling down a rebound with 36 seconds left to cap a big defensive stand, Lewis told MU point guard Tyler Kolek that he wanted the ball”.  Lewis is a throwback…a bad bad man without much hoopla…MU RAH!!!!!

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2022, 11:37:42 PM »
Also - this team and coach is getting locked in…. Did anyone notice how during the broadcast the announcers mentioned how Shaka and staff will at times let the players choose who they guard ….and , in postgame articles, I read this ….” "Those guys overruled me several times tonight," Smart said. "I've learned over the years that if the players are adamant about doing something, then it makes a lot of sense to let them go do it as opposed to me forcing something else."

Trust - a good system (at this point in his career hard to argue Shaka doesn’t have some chops in that regard) combined with player/coach/team trust is how you build a winner - look no further than Jay Wright for an example of that…. Shaka seems to be a special kind of guy for MU ….

feedback