Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Our Bigs vs Nova  (Read 8073 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Our Bigs vs Nova
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 07:35:05 AM »
We definitely need to haul out the larger trebuchet for this one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 07:42:46 AM »
My first worry is Nova's ability to push up defensively on the guards.  They can take away the offense, so that's my first worry.  The second is three point shooting and then cuttting to the basket if the three point shots are taken away.  They can grind you offensively and defensively. 

Why do we always seem to play them on-campus?

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 07:43:50 AM »
My first worry is Nova's ability to push up defensively on the guards.  They can take away the offense, so that's my first worry.  The second is three point shooting and then cuttting to the basket if the three point shots are taken away.  They can grind you offensively and defensively. 

Why do we always seem to play them on-campus?

The Wojo effect. They don’t respect us

Same with the TV scheduling for this year. That’ll change next year
Bring back FFP!!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 08:33:20 AM »
If we pay our best game of the season we could still lose by double digits if Nova plays near their ceiling. They are very good.  It will take a great game by us and of game by them to bring home a victory
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 08:40:30 AM »
If we pay our best game of the season we could still lose by double digits if Nova plays near their ceiling. They are very good.  It will take a great game by us and of game by them to bring home a victory

They didn't look invincible when a mediocre Creighton team shellacked them.  The bottom line is they're good but beatable.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2022, 08:45:01 AM »
There is data here that I haven’t looked up, but I feel like Marquette typically plays Villanova pretty well in the recent past.
Sure there have been a few blowouts, but overall I feel like MU has given coach Wright a decent challenge going back to the Buzz years and through the Wojo era.

Steve couldn’t put it all together but he did have some nice wins over wisconsin and Villanova. He was also very close to putting it all together the year of Hausergate but here we are. Don’t forget, Marquette was VERY close to winning conference over Villanova that season before it all fell apart. I believe we were up at Nova with a chance to clinch at the under 4 timeout.

Now it’s the Shaka era, and we are all glad it’s here. Hopefully coach Wright still finds a handful from Marquette and starts to see a perennial challenger going forward.

I know many have said that Villanova does not get sped up, but I’d like to see Shaka at least try tonight.
I’ve been an advocate of MU taking their time and playing a more controlled game, and I think we’ve seen less overall defensive pressure recently compared to earlier in the season, but tonight I think MU needs to try to slop it up and find a way to make Villanova uncomfortable.

Press early, fly around often and use your full complement of athletes and see if you can get Villanova frazzled leading to some easy baskets the other way, rather than making it a half court game.
Accomplish that and keep it close late into the second half and anythings possible

Sometimes it’s nice for a young team on a decent run to play a game on house money.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:48:19 AM by DoctorV »

panda

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2022, 08:54:22 AM »
There is data here that I haven’t looked up, but I feel like Marquette typically plays Villanova pretty well in the recent past.
Sure there have been a few blowouts, but overall I feel like MU has given coach Wright a decent challenge going back to the Buzz years and through the Wojo era.

Steve couldn’t put it all together but he did have some nice wins over wisconsin and Villanova. He was also very close to putting it all together the year of Hausergate but here we are. Don’t forget, Marquette was VERY close to winning conference over Villanova that season before it all fell apart. I believe we were up at Nova with a chance to clinch at the under 4 timeout.

Now it’s the Shaka era, and we are all glad it’s here. Hopefully coach Wright still finds a handful from Marquette and starts to see a perennial challenger going forward.

I know many have said that Villanova does not get sped up, but I’d like to see Shaka at least try tonight.
I’ve been an advocate of MU taking their time and playing a more controlled game, and I think we’ve seen less overall defensive pressure recently compared to earlier in the season, but tonight I think MU needs to try to slop it up and find a way to make Villanova uncomfortable.

Press early, fly around often and use your full complement of athletes and see if you can get Villanova frazzled leading to some easy baskets the other way, rather than making it a half court game.
Accomplish that and keep it close late into the second half and anythings possible

Sometimes it’s nice for a young team on a decent run to play a game on house money.

With doing zero googling, I don’t think we’ve best nova on the road at their on campus arena since Buzz.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2022, 08:55:13 AM »

Agree. It's the only way we'll win.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2022, 08:56:39 AM »

Yeah we’ve won a few at home vs Nova.

Outside the Markus and Hauser bro season I think just about every game at nova for the last decade has been a bloodbath.

Didn’t they beat us by like 35 last year? Haha
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2022, 09:03:42 AM »
Yeah we’ve won a few at home vs Nova.

Outside the Markus and Hauser bro season I think just about every game at nova for the last decade has been a bloodbath.

Didn’t they beat us by like 35 last year? Haha

I was going to agree because of last years decimation but we actually played them well markus' senior year winning one and losing by 1pt, split the Markus and Sam year winning one & losing by 6, NIT year we lost by 10 & 3 (and a blowout in the BE tournament), 2017 we split with them losing by 12.

Honestly that's better than I was expecting during  Wojo's "good stretch" Markus' tenure
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2022, 09:06:34 AM »
They didn't look invincible when a mediocre Creighton team shellacked them.  The bottom line is they're good but beatable.

I didn't say they were invincible. I said they are very good. And the reality is if we play our best of the game of the season and they play their best game of the season, they would beat us by double digits. If we both played our worst game of the season, they would beat us by double digits. We need a combination of us playing closer to our ceiling and them playing close to their floor to pull of the win. Doable. Unlikely, but doable.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2022, 09:07:20 AM »
I was going to agree because of last years decimation but we actually played them well markus' senior year winning one and losing by 1pt, split the Markus and Sam year winning one & losing by 6, NIT year we lost by 10 & 3 (and a blowout in the BE tournament), 2017 we split with them losing by 12.

Honestly that's better than I was expecting during  Wojo's "good stretch" Markus' tenure

Yeah I actually totally forgot about the Markus senior year game. I think it was a 3 at buzzer to make it 1. But yeah forgot that one was actually really competitive.

Along with the Hauser game where we melted down late

But other than that off memory I can believe a game at Nova in the final 12 that we were really in it.

At home, different story.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2022, 09:20:57 AM »

slop it up and find a way to make Villanova uncomfortable.

I think this is our best chance to pull off an upset. Gillespie looked rattled in Nova's losses.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:24:13 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2022, 09:25:08 AM »
With doing zero googling, I don’t think we’ve best nova on the road at their on campus arena since Buzz.

Buzz never won at their on campus arena. He was 4-8 against Nova. Of the 4 wins, 2 came at home, 1 in the BET, and 1 at Wells Fargo. Crean never won there either. I'm not sure we've ever won at the Pavilion, if we did, it was pre-TC.
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2022, 09:46:59 AM »
I didn't say they were invincible. I said they are very good. And the reality is if we play our best of the game of the season and they play their best game of the season, they would beat us by double digits. If we both played our worst game of the season, they would beat us by double digits. We need a combination of us playing closer to our ceiling and them playing close to their floor to pull of the win. Doable. Unlikely, but doable.

Yep. I think MU gets smacked tonight. And that's totally fine. Part of the learning curve.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2022, 09:53:23 AM »

Thanks for looking it up.
I’d consider this pretty good versus Nova.
Buzzes 4-8 is also pretty decent.

So yea I’m sure Jay Wright doesn’t lose any sleep over it but I’d say he doesn’t love facing Marquette.

I remember a few years back thinking to myself during one of our games that he just doesn’t look as comfortable on the sidelines versus MU as I’ve seen him in other BE games. Maybe it was the season Marquette was threatening to win a conference title.

Whatever it is, hopefully it becomes a thing versus Shaka too.
It starts tonight.

This is the program Marquette aspires to become under coach Smart. It would be an absolute dream to even make one FF or win one National Championship.
Gotta respect the heck out of Jay Wright and Villanova, but you also have to want to be them and beat them very badly.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
MU was +11 at Nova last year.  I'm having a hard time remembering the last time MU was this big a dog in BE play.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2022, 10:00:15 AM »
MU was +11 at Nova last year.  I'm having a hard time remembering the last time MU was this big a dog in BE play.

+10,5 at X a month ago. Don’t remember anything bigger than that

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2022, 10:11:37 AM »
+10,5 at X a month ago. Don’t remember anything bigger than that
Looks like it's moved to 13.5

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2022, 10:14:34 AM »
Thanks for looking it up.
I’d consider this pretty good versus Nova.
Buzzes 4-8 is also pretty decent.

So yea I’m sure Jay Wright doesn’t lose any sleep over it but I’d say he doesn’t love facing Marquette.

I remember a few years back thinking to myself during one of our games that he just doesn’t look as comfortable on the sidelines versus MU as I’ve seen him in other BE games. Maybe it was the season Marquette was threatening to win a conference title.

Whatever it is, hopefully it becomes a thing versus Shaka too.
It starts tonight.

This is the program Marquette aspires to become under coach Smart. It would be an absolute dream to even make one FF or win one National Championship.
Gotta respect the heck out of Jay Wright and Villanova, but you also have to want to be them and beat them very badly.

It should be worth noting that after Buzz's first two years the next three  were the worst stretch of basketball Nova played under Jay
2011: 9 seed
2012: Miss
2013: 9 seed

During that stretch Buzz was 2-2 against Nova which is actually pretty depressing consider how good we were two of those years.

If you want the total breakdown here:

A 2006: #4 Villanova 72, MU 67
H 2007: MU 80 Villanova 67
A 2008: MU 85, Villanova 75
H 2009: MU 79, #15 Villanova 72
A 2009: #13 Villanova 102, #10 MU 84
N 2009: #10 Villanova 76, #21 MU 75
H 2010: #8 Villanova 74, MU 72
A 2010: #6 Villanova 78, MU 76
N 2010: MU 80, #10 Villanova 76
A 2011: #12 Villanova 75, MU 70
H 2012: #14 MU 81, Villanova 77
A 2012: #17 MU 82, Villanova 78
A 2013: Villanova 60, #17 MU 56
H 2014: #4 Villanova 94, MU 85 (OT)
A 2014: #8 Villanova 73, MU 56
A 2015: #7 Villanova 70, MU 52
H 2015 #6 Villanova 87, MU 76
N 2015: #4 Villanova 84, MU 49
A 2016: #6 Villanova 83, MU 68
H 2016: #1 Villanova 89, MU 79
A 2017: #1 Villanova 93, MU 81
H 2017: MU 74, #1 Villanova 72
A 2018: #3 Villanova 100, MU 90
H 2018: #1 Villanova 85, MU 82
N 2018: #2 Villanova 94, MU 70
H 2019: #10 MU 66, #14 Villanova 65
A 2019: Villanova 67, #10 MU 61
H 2020: MU 71, #10 Villanova 60
A 2020: #15 Villanova 72, MU 71
H 2020: #5 Villanova 85, MU 68
A 2021: #5 Villanova 96, MU 64
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 10:20:42 AM »
MU is 12-27 versus Villanova as a program. MU 0-16 on the Nova campus. 3-5 at neutral sites including Wells-Fargo, but 1-3 there since joining the Big East.

So, very UWM-esque on the road.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »
MU is 12-27 versus Villanova as a program. MU 0-16 on the Nova campus. 3-5 at neutral sites including Wells-Fargo, but 1-3 there since joining the Big East.

So, very UWM-esque on the road.

Time to make a new tradition at the Pavilion.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2022, 10:58:13 AM »

Hmm...we didn't win the game, Nova lost it; that is if we are lucky enough to play them on a bad day.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »
Hmm...we didn't win the game, Nova lost it; that is if we are lucky enough to play them on a bad day.

I didn't say that either. If we play our best game of the season and they play their average or just better than their average, we could win. And even if they have an off game, it is still an MU win and NOVA loss, that's how it works.
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 12:19:12 PM »
I didn't say that either. If we play our best game of the season and they play their average or just better than their average, we could win. And even if they have an off game, it is still an MU win and NOVA loss, that's how it works.

We have to thwart buckets at the rim and prevent high FTA's.  If they beat us badly from distance or if we turn it over it will be along night.  That said I think out B game beats their C game.  Meaning a solid performance will be enough if they are average.