[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kolek's Shot  (Read 9288 times)

asdfasdf

• Starter
Re: Kolek's Shot
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »

I think SHU's interior length was a big issue for him yesterday too.

I agree with this. The last few games kolek has been shooting more layups. Obiagu shut that down last night. Some guys can go into obiagu's body and challenge him, right now kolek cant do that.

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 10:27:47 AM »
He had way better elevation on his jumper at GMU.  For some reason he's not using his legs as much this year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 10:29:33 AM »
Muggsy

We once had a program that accomplished your goal virtually every game for a 13 year period. I am 100% in on that style of basketball. It will happen, maybe not this year, but we will have that type of program shortly.

I couldn't agree more Goose.  The trajectory for MU is sky high, I stated that after the WVU game.  I can get inpatient but have no doubt that in due time MU will turn the corner.  Short-term we do need a glass cleaner of course.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2022, 10:30:35 AM »
He had way better elevation on his jumper at GMU.  For some reason he's not using his legs as much this year.

Interesting....I hadn't noticed.  Did he lose some hops?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2022, 10:33:57 AM »

Yeah, Shaq used to say he was a great free-throw shooter in practice. If true, that can only mean he choked in games, so it wasn't something to brag about.

I am NOT saying Tyler is choking. It's hard to know exactly what the deal is. Sometimes his shot looks flat with little rotation, but sometimes it looks OK. Sometimes, especially down the stretch of games, he looks like he has no legs, which is expected given his PT and responsibility. So perhaps it's a mix of inconsistency, lack of confidence, the need to get him a little more rest, and the simple fact that -- as you perfectly said -- "he's not a shooter."

I also agree that the middle of a season is not the best time to be messing around with his shooting form. During the offseason, hopefully he'll improve as a 3-point threat while also adding a little bit of a float/pull-up game. He seems like a bright and motivated guy, so if he's got the ability to improve his game, he will.

Otherwise, he, like the rest of the team, has exceeded most expectations. We are fortunate to have the Big East assist leader, and a very good game-organizer, in our backcourt. He's a big reason why we are a contender for a spot in the NCAA tournament.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2022, 10:36:49 AM »
Interesting....I hadn't noticed.  Did he lose some hops?

Nah, he wouldnt just lose his hops unless he's hurt.  I'd guess in games his legs just arent there due to how much responsibility he has in all the other areas.  He probably actually knows it, its just a tough thing to focus on in games with everything else going on.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »
Something he's not???  Last year at George Mason he WAS a shooter.  He hit 35% of his 3s and 3/4 of his attempts were 3 pointers so he WAS a long range snipper.  What he was not last year was much of a distributor.  That is what he has become this year and its good for the team that he has.  that extra load has cut down on his 3 point shooting.  So he WAS a very good shooter and its certainly reasonable for people to hope he can do both.  But its his point guard distribution skills where we have asked him to be something he wasn't and so far its worked.

Hmm. We seem to have different definitions of "long-range sniper" and "very good shooter."
Against a far lesser level of competition (the A-10 was the 13th best conference last year, per Warren Nolan), Kolek shot .353 from three-point range at George Mason. For a little perspective, that would have put him behind Dawson Garcia (.356) and just ahead of Jamal Cain (.343) on last year's MU team.
On the 2019-20 MU team, that three-point shooting percentage would have put him behind Sacar Anim, Brendan Bailey, Jamal Cain and Symir Torrance. Again, that's in the 13th best league, and George Mason played zero P6 opponents last year.

All that said, we're working with an 18-game sample size at this point, which is just four fewer games than George Mason played all last season. At some point, don't you have to give up on what he was last year with a different team and different level of competition, and accept who he is now with this team and this level of competition?
Are Michigan State fans still arguing that Joey Hauser is a long-range sniper because of what he did as a frosh at Marquette?

Look, the guy's a fantastic passer and the offense hums when he's focused on that. Why mess with that?

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2022, 10:41:01 AM »
He has the yips, IMO. Guessing it’s mostly a mental hurdle at this point

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »

I think SHU's interior length was a big issue for him yesterday too.

Totally agree, which, I think, affected his mindset. When I saw how SHU defend the pick and slide with OSO, I thought okay TK is gonna have to adapt his game a bit. Unfortunately whatever ailed him yesterday kept him from adjusting well.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2022, 10:47:34 AM »
Kolak is awesome.  He does not take a lot of shots and does not need to.  He makes our team go when he is in there.  He helps the other guys look great.  He is as good an assist man as any other MU player I have seen watching games live and near the floor in over 60 years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »
Stop mocking me Fluffy.  Scoop Snoop asked for a definition and I explained it perfectly.

Muggsy - your point was a good one that was easily understood. Don’t worry that it went over a few people’s heads.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2022, 10:49:55 AM »
Stop mocking me Fluffy.  Scoop Snoop asked for a definition and I explained it perfectly.

And I asked a follow up question because I have no idea what a “medieval type arsenal” means in a basketball context. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2022, 10:58:03 AM »
I don't see much difference in the shot form, or his lift between MU and George Mason. Rather just different types of shots.

He had more 3's on kickouts from the post/lane at George Mason. That is an easier shot for most players.

Also, I'd like to see his shot close-up. But on some of the videos/games it looks like he might be using his thumb a bit on his right hand to aid the shot. I think that is what leads to him missing left or right often.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:03:03 AM by forgetful »

panda

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2022, 10:58:47 AM »
Muggsy - your point was a good one that was easily understood. Don’t worry that it went over a few people’s heads.

Don’t worry Muggsy. Your creative analogies are much appreciated and understood by most. Keep it up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2022, 11:00:55 AM »
Something he's not???  Last year at George Mason he WAS a shooter.  He hit 35% of his 3s and 3/4 of his attempts were 3 pointers so he WAS a long range snipper.  What he was not last year was much of a distributor.  That is what he has become this year and its good for the team that he has.  that extra load has cut down on his 3 point shooting.  So he WAS a very good shooter and its certainly reasonable for people to hope he can do both.  But its his point guard distribution skills where we have asked him to be something he wasn't and so far its worked.

With all due respect ... a .358 percentage does not make a guy a sniper or a very good shooter.

That would have ranked him 71st in the nation last year if he had enough makes to qualify. This season, that would rank him 100th. (Elliott would be tied for 4th but he doesn't quite qualify to be among official leaders.)

Along with a career .814 FT percentage, Tyler's decent showing last season does give hope that, over time, he can be a respectable shooter from deep.

Agree that it's possible his added responsibilities this season have adversely affected his shooting.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2022, 11:04:18 AM »
With all due respect ... a .358 percentage does not make a guy a sniper or a very good shooter.

That would have ranked him 71st in the nation last year if he had enough makes to qualify. This season, that would rank him 100th. (Elliott would be tied for 4th but he doesn't quite qualify to be among official leaders.)

Along with a career .814 FT percentage, Tyler's decent showing last season does give hope that, over time, he can be a respectable shooter from deep.

Agree that it's possible his added responsibilities this season have adversely affected his shooting.
Are you suggesting top 100 out of approximately 4,300 players (top 2%) isn’t very good?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »
Are you suggesting top 100 out of approximately 4,300 players (top 2%) isn’t very good?

Not speaking for 82, but he was giving Kolek the benefit of assuming he had enough makes to qualify. He didn't. Neither did the vast majority of the 4300 players.

If you included all, with no qualifying makes, he would be no where near top 100.

Also, not sure where he got the #71 rank from. To make the top 100, with qualifying number of makes required shooting 43.4% last year (based on ESPN stats).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:12:03 AM by forgetful »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2022, 11:11:03 AM »

No. The 4,300 include guys who don't qualify, which is the vast majority of the 4,300. Oso was one of the 4,300 last year; he didn't qualify for any statistical leadership positions.

We have exactly one "sniper," and he is a role player who doesn't get enough PT to get the 2.5 makes necessary to qualify among NCAA leaders. Kam Jones is looking like he can be that, too. And Morsell has a nice shot when he is open and his feet are set. Joplin also has a very nice stroke and has potential.

Also, not sure where he got the #71 rank from.

Official NCAA stats, here:

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:15:11 AM by MU82 »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2022, 11:15:28 AM »
Don’t worry Muggsy. Your creative analogies are much appreciated and understood by most. Keep it up.

This is becoming way too easy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2022, 11:16:06 AM »

Official NCAA stats, here:

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings

Thanks!! I was trying to find the ones on the NCAA, and either I'm not very bright, or they are hard to find the full archived lists (also possible it is both).

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2022, 11:40:43 AM »
Seems to me the ball comes off the heel of his hand on 3s a lot rather than rolling off his fingers. As a result, at times his release looks more like a push than a smooth release should. This could definitely contribute to being significantly off line and a flatter than desired arc. Clearly in his head now too.  Still love his game and figure the shot will come around.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2022, 11:45:18 AM »
I wouldn’t let him leave the gym until he made 100 3’s in a row
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2022, 11:52:27 AM »
I think his shot looks fine.  Regardless, he isn't going to mess with any mechanics in January.  We just gotta hope that they start to fall, which I blame a combination of speed of the game at this level and confidence.
Agree that now is not the time to change mechanics, and probably correct on the speed of the game at this level, coupled with additional tasks he is being asked to do.
TK has plenty of confidence, and don’t think that is an issue at all.
I disagree that his shot “looks fine”. It doesn’t. It needs to be corrected with more lift and arc, but now is not the time.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2022, 12:04:00 PM »
He has proven to me that he is as good passer in the country on the pick and roll, against SH they have a man mountain down below and Tyler had chances to make layups but he missed them.  Had a bunny layup he totally missed. If MU wants to get to the next level, Kolek needs to score a little as yesterday Prosser, Kuath, Oso, and Kolek scored less then 10 points combine. As I was very lefty dominate point, he needs to work on driving with his right hand once in awhile.  3 years from now he should be really good.  Needs to improve his quickness on D, SH was going right at him yesterday plus get stronger which he will do.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2022, 12:05:28 PM »
And I asked a follow up question because I have no idea what a “medieval type arsenal” means in a basketball context.

Fluffy, I really don't know what to say anymore.  I assume you are familiar with medieval weapons and their wide range of uses and capabilities?  Not to mention their badass nature and emphatic results if used properly?  There's nothing further I can elucidate about the subject.  If you cannot comprehend  my analogy or matter of speech what can I do?  I certainly hope you're familiar with zoomability and why I stress it and find it vitally important to future MU rosters.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 07:57:24 PM by MuggsyB »