Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mor Darryl  (Read 17599 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Mor Darryl
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2022, 07:15:30 PM »
As your resident target for ref bitching.

Greg was absolutely not fouled on the shot attempt.

Grabbed before? Yes. As SHU fans said themselves does AIken draw the same nonsense calls? Also yes.

But that was definitely not a shooting foul

Let’s use this game as a benchmark for poor officiating moving forward..

MU82

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2022, 07:24:24 PM »
Agree with most of what you wrote. Disagree here. I would have been critical of Elliott if he was the defender too. You cannot bite on the pump fake there as a defender.

Aiken bit on the pump fake and entered the shooters cylinder (almost stepped on Elliott's foot). He did not give him room to either take off or land. The shooter is allowed to pivot, move his foot to get clear of the defender who entered his space. It was a foul, sometimes a no call but a foul.

Aiken (or if it had been reversed...Elliott) should never have bit on the fake, and stayed put with hands up. The defender screwed up. Elliott made a smart play.

I actually think the overhead replay makes it most clear that Aiken bit on the fake and came into Elliott as shown in BLM's pictures.

We'll agree to disagree on this. Have a good one.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2022, 07:52:29 PM »
Morsell brings a physical toughness that we haven’t seen since the days of Buzz. 

Oh, and Aiken absolutely fouled Greg.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2022, 07:55:34 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2022, 09:00:38 PM »
Gotta luv da infightin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2022, 10:27:11 PM »
I have been consistent from the beginning. Sorry you can’t see that.

You've been wrong from the beginning.  Sorry you can't see that.  What you can't see is how the game was being called.  The offensive player got that call all game long.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2022, 10:33:57 PM »
I loved the defensive gameplan today. Seton Hall is similar to us in the sense that they like to attack early in the shot clock. I was wondering if we would be able to force our will on them and push them deep into possessions or if they would break our pressure. We threw multiple looks at them and gave them a lot trouble just bringing the ball up and they often weren't starting any action until half the shot clock was gone. They devolved into hero ball and to their credit, they had a hero step up, but they also only had 6 assists to 19 turnovers...I don't think much of assist to turnover ratio as a stat, but it demonstrates the lack of good offense and amount of bad offense that our defense was able to generate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2022, 10:51:31 PM »
I loved the defensive gameplan today. Seton Hall is similar to us in the sense that they like to attack early in the shot clock. I was wondering if we would be able to force our will on them and push them deep into possessions or if they would break our pressure. We threw multiple looks at them and gave them a lot trouble just bringing the ball up and they often weren't starting any action until half the shot clock was gone. They devolved into hero ball and to their credit, they had a hero step up, but they also only had 6 assists to 19 turnovers...I don't think much of assist to turnover ratio as a stat, but it demonstrates the lack of good offense and amount of bad offense that our defense was able to generate.

Refreshing. A solid take on the game as a whole rather than one play.

Agreed, Marquette played very solid defense and had a good gameplan.
Bryce channeled his inner Markus but you really can’t do much there.

I actually think SH played very good defense too, but Marquette just shot substantially better than usual from 3 and that was the difference at the end of the day. 11/22 is nice.

Overall a pretty enjoyable game.
The lights out 1H both ways, you knew a shift to the mean was coming in the 2H and it would get ugly, and that the winner would have to scrap it out.

Darryl Morsell’s grit was grittier than theirs. Justin and Greg showed some clutch stones late as well.
Nice home win of the type that you need if you want to dance.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2022, 11:05:12 PM »
I have been consistent from the beginning. Sorry you can’t see that.

Consistent in saying that you think Greg should have been shooting the 1 and 1 with 2.5 seconds left instead of 2 with 1.7 seconds left and that this amounts to Seton Hall “getting screwed”. LOL - could anything be more Chicosesque?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2022, 05:59:12 AM »
You've been wrong from the beginning.  Sorry you can't see that.  What you can't see is how the game was being called.  The offensive player got that call all game long.

I saw how the game was being called.  The end was a terrible call.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:01:51 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2022, 06:50:30 AM »

I saw how the game was being called.  The end was a terrible call.

I think people are missing this point.  It was a bad call in a game of bad calls.  Defending a bad call because of other bad calls doesn’t make it right.

Seems like a lot of arguing over something we all agree on, it was a bad call after a bad missed call in a game full of bad calls
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2022, 06:52:12 AM »
No, there are people here who think that the shooting foul on Elliott was indeed a foul.  They are wrong.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2022, 07:04:00 AM »
No, there are people here who think that the shooting foul on Elliott was indeed a foul.  They are wrong.

Who cares?  Marquette won. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2022, 07:22:10 AM »
Who cares?  Marquette won. 

Agreed!  Some people I guess just want their victory to be "pure," and can't admit their victory was the result of a bad call.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2022, 08:07:31 AM »
Agreed!  Some people I guess just want their victory to be "pure," and can't admit their victory was the result of a bad call.

Ok, let’s put this to bed once and for all.

YES, the call at the end of the game was a bad call. We should all be able to agree to that. But, A basketball game is 40 mins, not 1.7 seconds. The victory was a result of:
- MU forcing 20 turnovers
- MU limiting them to 6 assists and 41% shooting
- MU shooting 50% from beyond the arc
-MU producing 19 assists on 25 made baskets
- SH only shooting 69% from the free throw line

- ps: they missed an arm grab 2 seconds prior to the bad call

Every coach in America would tell you that “their” team should have never put the game in the refs hands. Seton Hall had 2,398.3 seconds to win the game and they couldn’t do it. Refs make a bad call, MU wins we’re all happy.

Let’s stop ALL ADDITIONAL conversation about 1 call and look at how MU performed through out the rest of the game.

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2022, 08:38:21 AM »

- ps: they missed an arm grab 2 seconds prior to the bad call

I know

^^^^16th time acknowledging this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2022, 08:56:17 AM »
Sorry but your interpretation of that is worse tha BLM’s photos.

“I’m being provided proof that Aiken was the one who moved into Greg, but I can’t admit I’m wrong so I’ll just claim the photos of what actually happened are wrong.”

Hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2022, 09:00:00 AM »
“I’m being provided proof that Aiken was the one who moved into Greg, but I can’t admit I’m wrong so I’ll just claim the photos of what actually happened are wrong.”

Hilarious.

Photos don’t tell the story. I have provided links to videos that tell the complete story both in real action and replays. It’s a bad call that looks worse each time I see it.

Checkmate.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 09:03:13 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2022, 09:09:47 AM »
Do you guys get paid if the other guy admits their wrong?
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2022, 09:17:48 AM »
Do you guys get paid if the other guy admits their wrong?

Topper told me that I can get half of January's Scoop proceeds!

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2022, 09:57:10 AM »
People always tend to focus on what is called in the decisive final seconds or minutes. If you are a fan of basketball generally, you have to accept that there are a ton of calls over the course of the game that are incorrect, or at best could go either way. Its just the nature of the game and the reality that officiating is a manual process with high error potential. Hate the game if you want, but Seton Hall did not get "screwed" because of one call. 

As for the play itself, I've seen far less called hundreds of times in plays like that. Aiken was lunging into Greg's space when he went up, which often gets called in favor of the shooter when there is contact. As many have pointed out, there is a clear reach in foul that was missed right before that anyway.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2022, 10:15:45 AM »
People always tend to focus on what is called in the decisive final seconds or minutes. If you are a fan of basketball generally, you have to accept that there are a ton of calls over the course of the game that are incorrect, or at best could go either way. Its just the nature of the game and the reality that officiating is a manual process with high error potential. Hate the game if you want, but Seton Hall did not get "screwed" because of one call. 

As for the play itself, I've seen far less called hundreds of times in plays like that. Aiken was lunging into Greg's space when he went up, which often gets called in favor of the shooter when there is contact. As many have pointed out, there is a clear reach in foul that was missed right before that anyway.

Agree Big Time regarding obsessing about final moments. One can pick just about any call during a game and debate it to death (ala Jay Bilas). To me, the only calls that may unquestionably influence the outcome of close games are technicals and flagrants. Your team lost by one point and your coach got T'd up , resulting in two made FTs? Your team coulda/woulda/shoulda won but didn't.   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »
Ok, let’s put this to bed once and for all.

Let’s stop ALL ADDITIONAL conversation about 1 call

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2022, 11:11:39 AM »
One play that I haven’t really seen mentioned is the long outlet pass to Lewis that he didn’t see coming. I think we were down and it was late. That one felt like it was slow motion and my heart sank. Luckily it was by our bench and he saw it at the last moment.

I’m pretty sure we scored on the play. A turnover there would have really hurt our chances.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »
One play that I haven’t really seen mentioned is the long outlet pass to Lewis that he didn’t see coming. I think we were down and it was late. That one felt like it was slow motion and my heart sank. Luckily it was by our bench and he saw it at the last moment.

I’m pretty sure we scored on the play. A turnover there would have really hurt our chances.

I take credit for that one. We were seated in the section behind the MU bench and we screamed JUSTIN BALL!
TAMU