[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Old Notes and Stories  (Read 2182 times)

oilcan

• Team Captain
Old Notes and Stories
« on: January 07, 2022, 10:28:15 PM »
My good friend Barry is coming to visit me in two weeks. He grew up in Greendale. I think Paul Molitor lived there because Barry’s sister Melissa said he grocery shopped where she worked. Barry owns a cottage on a lake in Okauchee. There’s a lake everywhere and they’re all named after ducks. I love it there. But when it’s cold, it’s a bitch. I slept on his couch with his dog,  Korky.  January  2019. We went to the Seton Hall game. Took the bus from Katie’s to Fiserv.

Anyway, when B comes to town, I’ll be busy drinking and talking sports and eating. When you have breakfast with B he starts talking about lunch. And if I say, “We’ll just go to KFC or McDonald’s,” he’ll say, “Surely, you have some decent restaurants around this town.”

So I think I should drop this on you now because I could be sidelined in an endless string of all-you-can-eat buffets soon. By the way, Rick interviewed for the Nevada job in Reno but I hear his wife chimed in and said, “I know you love it here, a buffet everywhere, but Rick it’ll kill you.” So he took the Utah job. It was a good choice. Listen to your wife. I always works for me.

“We are Marquette” is a nice slogan. It might even be new. What does it mean? We share a common history. It’s not about me or you. It’s about us— where we came from, and what we did with it. That’s who we are.   

Anyway, an anniversary is coming up in two weeks. Al McGuire died on Friday, Jan 26, 2001.
I won’t comment at the end, I’ll do it now instead. He was cremated. And I believe I know where his ashes were scattered. In a wind that blew up Wisconsin Avenue and into our hearts and souls.

This story was written by Bill Dwyre at the LA times. He was sports editor of the Milwaukee Journal from 1973 to 1981, when he joined The Times. Dwyre was named National Headliner Award winner in 1985, sportswriter of the year in Wisconsin in 1980 and sportswriter of the year in California in 2009.

Milwaukee Was Touched by a Warrior
By  BILL DWYRE Jan. 30, 2001 12 AM PT

MILWAUKEE —

They said their final goodbye to Al McGuire here Monday night, in a stirring Catholic requiem Mass that filled two floors of a huge cathedral and went on in celebration from 7 p.m. to nearly 9. McGuire would have called it a two-hour goose bump.

He was the quirky basketball coach who put a little Jesuit school in downtown Milwaukee on the map with a series of basketball teams that slapped around the big guys in the late 1960s and ‘70s and won the NCAA championship in 1977. In the title game, McGuire’s Marquette Warriors made Dean Smith’s fabled North Carolina four-corners offense look like a fable.

And he was the goofy network announcer who, upon walking away from basketball after that NCAA title, became famous as the sidekick for Dick Enberg and Billy Packer, the one who would say the wildest things and even dance with the winning teams in celebration. His heart was rap, his rhythm Benny Goodman.

America’s television audience, much like Marquette’s basketball fans before them, didn’t know what hit it.

He was proud of his individuality. He said he liked being Al McGuire. He lived the Frank Sinatra song. He did it his way.

He came from the Rockaway Beach part of New York City and told anybody he met, usually in the first five minutes, that he was the way he was, he wasn’t going to change, and if you didn’t like it, you weren’t going to like him. Monday night’s turnout of more than 1,000, on a night of freezing rain and bone-chilling wind in a city that has all too much of that, proved once and for all how many people liked him.

When he died Friday at 72, after a long battle with a blood disorder, his death triggered an unusual public outpouring of sympathy and a national sense of loss. As more and more stories were written and broadcast, those who knew only the basketball and broadcasting parts of McGuire learned that he transcended sports, that his personality went well beyond the bounce of a basketball or the quip at a microphone. McGuire raised people. Also money.

The scene of his funeral, Gesu Church, in the heart of this city’s downtown on its main street, Wisconsin Avenue, was blocks from the start of an annual September five-mile race. It began in 1978, the year after McGuire quit coaching and at a time when he wanted to give something back to the city of Milwaukee, which he said had given him so much. The race is called “Al’s Run,” it annually attracts around 25,000 participants and it has raised millions of dollars for Milwaukee Children’s Hospital.

Monday night, the city that McGuire touched so deeply turned out to touch him back, for one last time.

Among the pallbearers was a heavy-set, grim-faced man, in his early 50s, hobbled by a bad knee and temporarily crippled by a broken heart. His name is Rick Majerus, and he normally would have been coaching the University of Utah basketball team to yet another run at the NCAA tournament. Majerus is a basketball great in his own right, a master of the nuances and motivational techniques that separate the good coaches from the great ones. In 1998, Majerus took Utah to within five minutes of the NCAA title, losing only when it tired down the stretch and yielded to Kentucky.

Majerus learned the game of basketball from McGuire. Majerus had a father named Raymond Majerus who was once a national force in the AFL-CIO, but Raymond Majerus died young. Majerus’ second father was Al McGuire.

Majerus has been here for the last month or so, on leave from coaching because of his bad knee, and spending time with his mother, who has cancer, and with McGuire, who was dying.

Early this fall, Majerus came to visit McGuire, who was then strong enough to get away for short times from the Franciscan Woods care center where he stayed. McGuire wanted to go to the park. Majerus drove him there. They walked for a couple of hundred yards, then McGuire said he was tired. He sat on a park bench, Majerus went to get the car. When he came back, McGuire was asleep on the bench.

“I tried to gently stir him, but he didn’t wake up,” Majerus said. “He looked so peaceful, so I waited. And I waited. And pretty soon, I figured he had died. So I just sat there with him, the two of us, on a park bench.”

Eventually, McGuire woke up, only to head back to his bed and the eventuality that could not be reversed.

When Majerus came back here for good about a month ago, he had a daily ritual of bringing McGuire a pizza. It was, among other things, symbolic because, for years as McGuire’s assistant, Majerus endured McGuire’s rants and raves about him needing to stop eating pizza and slim down. Now, McGuire would smile, take one pepperoni and munch on it, then leave the rest for the nurses.

Three days before McGuire died, Majerus brought him the greasiest hamburger he could find, with onions and pickles and tomatoes and lettuce and mayo and ketchup and mustard. McGuire ate it all. Then Majerus brought him a hot fudge sundae. McGuire ate it all.

It was the last meal Al McGuire ate.     

The early parts of the service were of the stiff-upper-lip variety.

Organ music filled the church and echoed off its ceilings. McGuire’s son, Robbie, and daughter, Noreen, did readings, and his grandchildren participated.

The printed program opened with a page of remembrance from McGuire’s broadcast partner and friend, Enberg, who appropriately let some of McGuire’s best sayings carry his piece:

“The only time winning is really important is in surgery and war.”

“You’ve got to touch the rank and file. The world is run by C-plus students.”

“The reason you don’t get a thank-you letter after giving a free speech is because the guy who got you for free got the thank-you letters.”

The sermon was given by the president of Marquette, Robert A. Wild, S.J., who theorized that McGuire was already in heaven because, upon his death, he rode his Harley Davidson to the pearly gates and plied St. Peter with a little bit of New York charm and a dash of street smarts.

“St. Peter never had a chance,” Father Wild said.”

When McGuire died, scores of prominent sports people were quoted as saying pretty much the same thing: He was one of a kind.

And so he was.

In the off-season, McGuire would grow his hair long and ride all over the city on his motorcycle. No ties, no nice threads, only jeans and dirty T-shirts. One night, he decided to motor over to one of his children’s homes to see his grandchildren. He parked the bike, rang the doorbell and waited. The baby-sitter peaked out through the drapes, and, fearing for her life, called the police.

When his son, Allie, became a high school star, McGuire had to make the decision about whether he wanted to recruit him, whether he wanted to subject his son to all the pressures inherent in playing for your father, especially a father like Al McGuire. McGuire thought about it and then called a news conference. He said that, not only would Allie play for him, but that, because he was his son, he would be a starter.

And so he was.

The real tears came at the end of the Mass.

Allie McGuire stood at the podium. Behind him were more than 40 former players and coaches from McGuire’s era.

Allie thanked the people at Franciscan Woods for allowing his father “his dignity” in the last days of his life. He thanked the people who had braved the weather to attend. And then he did what all in attendance had wanted: He told more Al stories.

He said his father had almost died about two weeks ago, and his survival at that time was near miraculous. “I went to see him the next day and he was sitting up in bed, eating a hot dog.”

Allie said, the next day, his father lapsed in and out of consciousness, and he said that, as horrible as that was, he still somehow managed to remain Al.

“I was sitting face-to-face with him, two feet away,” Allie said, “and he suddenly started talking about the University of Wisconsin basketball situation [where the team is being run by an interim coach]. He looked at me and said, ‘I want you to call the athletic director of the University of Wisconsin, and I want you to tell him to take my name off the short list.’ ”

Allie McGuire said that his father’s ritual, in the last three or four months, has been to receive guests, all obviously coming to say their goodbyes.

“Each person got 15 minutes,” Allie said. “And it would go like this. The first 10 or 11 minutes would be catching up on the family. Then, in about the 11th minute, he would say, ‘Give me a hug.’ And he would rock himself back and forth on the bed until he could get to his feet for the hug. The person would thank him for how he had touched his life and my father’s eyes would start to glisten. It was always like that, the same ritual, time after time.

“One day, I said to him, ‘You don’t always have to get up.’ And he said, ‘Son, I have to get up. They have to remember me as strong.’ ”

Before the formal service, Gesu Church was open for viewing of McGuire’s body, in an open casket. Next to the casket was a floral arrangement with a basketball in the pot. And next to that was a 3-by-5-foot picture of the legendary coach, his arms extended high and spread wide apart in a signal of joy that, on this occasion, could also be taken as a gesture of departure.

It was McGuire in his prime, full-faced, broad Irish smile, thick hair creeping down over his ears, in yet another moment of triumph in a career that had so many.

He had just beaten Notre Dame, and the look on his face said: “How sweet it is.”

Now he is gone. How sad it is. 

PERSONALLY, I WOULD HAVE CUT THE LAST TWO SENTENCES AND LEFT IT THERE. “HOW SWEET IT IS.” I WON’T FEEL SAD. I WILL FEEL PROUD.
And I’ll bet you anything his last greasy burger came from Katie’s. Hope to see you there soon.

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Old Notes and Stories
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 10:41:25 PM »
Awesome.

I think I speak for all the Wade era and younger folks on here when I say thank you for sharing.

Love these stories from before my time.

Have a great time with Barry

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 02:16:09 AM »
A great article by Dwyre and he has was someone that definitely knew Al. Al was beyond special and no article or stories could ever tell the impact this man had on Marquette, college basketball and the city of MKE. I cried the day he retired, cried the day he died and the day we said good bye to Coach. Al made me an MU fan but his impact on my life goes well beyond my love of MU basketball.

To bring this to the present situation, the day Shaka was hired I said it was the greatest hire in MU history and I believe it more today. Al made MU and Shaka is going to save MU. As J5 pointed out I was a dark cloud on here for a long time and was for reason, MU is a special basketball program and the efforts of Al need to be respected and the program needs to be successful. IMO, Al would love Shaka running his program.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:52:58 AM by Goose »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 06:34:02 AM »
A great article by Dwyre and he has was someone that definitely knew Al. Al was beyond special and no article or stories could ever tell the impact this man had on Marquette, college basketball and the city of MKE. I cried the day he retired, cried the day he died and the day we said good bye to Coach. Al made me an MU fan but his impact on my life goes well beyond my love of MU basketball.

To bring this to the present situation, the day Shaka was hired I said it was the greatest hire in MU history and I believe it more today. Al made MU and Shaka is going to save MU. As J5 pointed out I was a dark cloud on here for a long time and was for reason, MU is a special basketball program and the efforts of Al need to be respected and the program needs to be successful. IMO, Al would love Shaka running his program.

Goose, as an optimistic person by nature I have to say your dark cloud days were irritating but proved to be right.  I used to think of droopy the cartoon dog every time you posted after a win. 

But again, you were right not to be optimistic with Wojo no matter how good the win looked at the time.  “Fools gold” as you would say.

I truly hope you are right with Shaka.  I like what I’m seeing so far and as usual, I’m all in.

I like the “blue sky and sunshine” Goose.  Much more fun to read.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 06:45:44 AM »
Al was the greatest of all time at MU
The entire McGuire era with all those characters and players, Majerus, etc
Was a roller coaster joyride. What a time!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 07:04:03 AM »
Shooter
I remember you challenging me on the fools gold several years ago. I was in hotel room in Hangzhou, China and you pushed back hard that day. I took no pleasure in being negative and should have kept my thoughts to myself. There are many on here that have different expectations for the program and not fair of me to rain on their parade.

As for being right on Shaka, the last two games showed me there is plenty of reason to be optimistic about the program. Seeing 7,8,9 guys being part of the game, contributing and having fun is awesome to see.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 07:07:55 AM »
Shooter
I remember you challenging me on the fools gold several years ago. I was in hotel room in Hangzhou, China and you pushed back hard that day. I took no pleasure in being negative and should have kept my thoughts to myself. There are many on here that have different expectations for the program and not fair of me to rain on their parade.

As for being right on Shaka, the last two games showed me there is plenty of reason to be optimistic about the program. Seeing 7,8,9 guys being part of the game, contributing and having fun is awesome to see.

Agreed really fun style to watch.  I’m enjoying this team develop immensely.  Glad the team is getting rewarded for their hard work with some Big East Ws. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 07:18:17 AM »
I also think part of the fools gold back in the Wojos years were the recruits.  Always looking forward to what “could be” the next year but never realizing it.  I believe the expectations for the program are the same for most of us. Very similar to what your are actually.  You just saw early on that no matter how many good players Wojo recruited he would never put it all together.  Kudos to you and many others.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 07:59:37 AM »
For the record, Paul Molitor was my neighbor in The Quon, for part of his time as a Brewer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 08:15:03 AM »
Shooter

I absolutely loved the Shaka hire, but you were one of the few projecting this level of play in year one.   I'm 40...season tickets since birth.  I loved jingling my dad's car keys when Damon Keys went to the line, Tony Smith made me love bball, Tony Miller had me always wearing #10, Travis and Wade showed me determination, and Wes makes me proud.  Crean openly talked about leaving in private circles at MU from nearly day 1.  I was sad to see Buzz go, but he was predictably unpredictable.  Shaka feels like all the upside of those two with true class and character.  A simply perfect fit at a perfect time.

I met Al a number of times in my younger years, and have read, watched, and heard so many stories...no doubt he's approving of the direction of MU bball.

Great times ahead.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 08:18:20 AM »
Neva doubt Goose. He knows his chit, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 08:19:33 AM »
For the record, Paul Molitor was my neighbor in The Quon, for part of his time as a Brewer, hey?

Did you fix his teeth?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 08:24:23 AM »
C'mon man, HIPAA, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 08:24:41 AM »
Thanks for posting this oilcan. It brought back so many good memories to this Al Era fan

My five seconds face to face with Al came in my freshman year when I passed Al's office (I think it was in Johnston Hall somewhere) and saw the door ajar. I knew I should not pry but simply could not resist peeking in. I was really embarrassed when I saw Al at his desk. Instead of looking up and glaring and maybe swearing at me (that would have been fully justified), Al smiled broadly and said "Hi! How ya doin'?" I know- a very silly memory but one I still treasure.

Majerus was in a polysci class that I took (Dr. Kantor) and had that same goofy look on his face then that was seen later many times on TV. It was a very small class and everyone chimed in on the subject of the day, encouraged to speak by Kantor. Everyone but Majerus that is. He rarely said a word.

I very rarely missed a game while at Marquette. I remember Al deliberately getting T'd up if he thought the home crowd wasn't loud enough. He admitted to the T's being deliberate in during post Marquette career,   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 08:27:31 AM »
Snoop Dog, 1212 W. Wisconsin Ave., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 08:39:46 AM »
4ever

That was ground zero back in the day.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 08:53:48 AM »
Shooter

Shaka said in his postgame interview with media last night when asked about Tyler's progression (paraphrasing):  Tyler got mad at me when I took him out with two fouls in the first half.  I'm glad our relationship has evolved to the point where he felt comfortable telling me he didn't agree with the decision.  Tyler is a unique kid. He's a really good shooter, we just haven't quite seen that yet.  He sees the floor so well and has a great understanding of the game.  He's able to share that with me, and in turn it helps me be a better coach.

Compare that to Wojo, whom as I understand it, flat out refused Scholls suggestion that he bring in a seasoned assistant.  Shaka on the other hand is willing to learn/benefit from his player's perceptions.

As you said Goose, seeing 7-9 guys all contributing, having a blast playing together - SO refreshing to see as compared to Wojo's hero ball "coaching."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 09:01:31 AM »

I always wondered why he high-tailed it to Toronto.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 09:17:48 AM »

Hahahahaha touch 'em all.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 09:25:20 AM »

Nah man, he wuz happi 'til da city's violence and crime got outta hand, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2022, 09:39:55 AM »
Shooter

It is awesome. Just pray it carries on.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
C'mon man, HIPAA, hey?
HIPPA?
Completely ignored these days by the Mandater/Control and Deceive/Mask police.

feedback