[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Class Year of Players and MU Records  (Read 3248 times)

The Equalizer

• All American
Class Year of Players and MU Records
« on: January 06, 2022, 05:06:39 PM »
Given MU's decision to list COVID-year returning players with their prior class, such as Justin Lewis reported as a "Redshirt Freshman," how do they intend to treat this year's performances with respect to MU's class records?

At his current pace of 15.7 points, Lewis would come in #2 on the All-Time freshman scoring list behind Henry Ellenson's 17 ppg.  However, he would only rank 9th if he's grouped with the Sophomores. 

Kolek is on a pace to finish #1 in assists right now regardless of whether he's classified as a freshman or sophomore with respect to the record books. However, if he's given the Freshman record this year, he can presumably repeat the feat over the next three years and go for the class record in all four classes.

Norm

• All American
Re: Class Year of Players and MU Records
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 05:40:55 PM »
This is why MU's decision to do this is so stupid. Thia is obviously Lewis' sophomore year so stop trying to skirt things MU.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 05:57:10 PM »
This is why MU's decision to do this is so stupid. Thia is obviously Lewis' sophomore year so stop trying to skirt things MU.

I can believe people are actually upset about this. What exactly are they skirting?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Norm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 06:10:10 PM »

I can believe people are actually upset about this. What exactly are they skirting?

I may have used the wrong term, but its just dumb of MU to label Lewis as a RS Freshman. He's a sophomore. He wasn't red shirted, he didn't sit out a season.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 06:54:11 PM »
I may have used the wrong term, but its just dumb of MU to label Lewis as a RS Freshman. He's a sophomore. He wasn't red shirted, he didn't sit out a season.

Everyone was granted an extra year of eligibility.  How exactly do you want them to list it?

College football players can play four games and still redshirt, and schools will use "redshirt freshman" for their second year of competition.  It's the same thing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 07:14:22 PM »

Everyone was granted an extra year of eligibility.  How exactly do you want them to list it?

College football players can play four games and still redshirt, and schools will use "redshirt freshman" for their second year of competition.  It's the same thing.

Perhaps you missed the thread where I looked into it and MU is the only BE school to list them this way.  As far as I found, the others just went with class year.  And in the case where they were 5th year seniors (i.e. Gillespie) they were just listed as "Sr" again.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 07:19:02 PM »
8 of the 11 players this year are in their first or second year.    This is a unique year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 07:25:59 PM »
Perhaps you missed the thread where I looked into it and MU is the only BE school to list them this way.  As far as I found, the others just went with class year.  And in the case where they were 5th year seniors (i.e. Gillespie) they were just listed as "Sr" again.

No I saw it.  I think Marquette's description is more accurate.  Justin has three years left after this year which is very evident by the class year listed.  Some random-ass BE guy is a senior...but still has another year remaining.  That makes less sense to me.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 07:27:53 PM »
No I saw it.  I think Marquette's description is more accurate.  Justin has three years left after this year which is very evident by the class year listed.  Some random-ass BE guy is a senior...but still has another year remaining.  That makes less sense to me.

Haha.  Ok.  So you just agree with MU and disagree with a majority of other schools.  Cool homer 8-)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 07:33:18 PM »
Lewis for BE Freshman of the Year!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 07:38:51 PM »
Lewis for BE Freshman of the Year!

I mean, it looks like he's only gotta beat out Oso and Mohammed (true Frosh)
https://www.barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=BE

(poor Kalkbrenner, Posh, Colby Jones, David Jones and Eric Dixon who didn't get to repeat their Freshman years!)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:43:56 PM by rocky_warrior »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 09:21:03 PM »
I get the reasoning.  It shows how many seasons the player has left.  And it's like the bizarre 2020-21 season didn't count.

I wouldn't have done it myself (even on Overload for season stats I consider Oso, Lewis, Kolek, etc. a Sophomore) but I get the reasoning behind it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 09:26:09 PM »
RFr
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 09:35:32 PM »
I get the reasoning.  It shows how many seasons the player has left.  And it's like the bizarre 2020-21 season didn't count.

I wouldn't have done it myself (even on Overload for season stats I consider Oso, Lewis, Kolek, etc. a Sophomore) but I get the reasoning behind it.

As anyone that occasionally checks in here knows, it bugs me.  Primarily because it's as accurate as calling them a 5th year HS sophomore, but also because of the stats - as compared to our peers (see Torvik and Kenpom). 

Perhaps if the NCAA recommended schools to do it one way or the other, then I could get behind it.  But as it stands, Marquette did it the "nonstandard" way compared to about 270 of their peers.

Ok, I'll move my soapbox to a new location.

RFr

Redshirt would *normally* imply the didn't participate in games for one year of their eligibility.  Not accurate in this case.  Covid/Super senior would make more sense.  So yes, there could be a Redshirt Super Senior.

last edit, maybe:  If Marquette had a Redshirt Freshman last year, would they now call them a 2nd year Redshirt Freshman?  That's dumb.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:48:44 PM by rocky_warrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 10:09:45 PM »
I’m open to covid freshman. And we use the covid designation for several years

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 10:15:34 PM »
I’m open to covid freshman. And we use the covid designation for several years

If that's the standard that all schools use - I'm good with it too. (But clearly it's not).  To Equalizer's original point, I do think this 5 years messes with the history books.  Even more than going from freshman ineligible, to 4 year players in 1972.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 07:20:12 AM »
If that's the standard that all schools use - I'm good with it too. (But clearly it's not).  To Equalizer's original point, I do think this 5 years messes with the history books.  Even more than going from freshman ineligible, to 4 year players in 1972.

There is a need for proper designation. Calling Justin Lewis, Tyler Kolek freshmen is deceiving.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 07:40:03 AM »
There is a need for proper designation. Calling Justin Lewis, Tyler Kolek freshmen is deceiving.

Calling them redshirt freshmen is not.  Which is what MU is doing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2022, 07:42:00 AM »

Call them sophmen of freshmores
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

panda

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2022, 07:51:35 AM »

Calling them redshirt freshmen is not.  Which is what MU is doing.

They’re not redshirt freshmen.

panda

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2022, 07:51:54 AM »
Call them sophmen of freshmores

This is the leader in the clubhouse

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2022, 07:54:22 AM »
Where's O'tule when we need him? Would be nice to have another tall freshman in the program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2022, 02:13:56 PM »
The guys who played as Freshmen last year are not still Freshmen in any sense, except their remaining amount of eligibility.  For Justin Lewis to have 60 games as a "Freshman" in keeping track of Freshman statistics vs. players from past history is ridiculous.  Those guys are Sophomores now and will be Juniors next year, as they always have been.  A guy like Brad Davison who is in his 2nd Senior season may be called a Super Senior or a Covid Senior or whatever else you want to call them, but a 1st year college player is still a Freshman and a 2nd year player is and always has been a Sophomore, excepting those that actually did redshirt and not play a season.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2022, 02:17:05 PM »
They’re not redshirt freshmen.

They are, depending on your def of redshirt.

Redshirt is a description used by people. It’s not an NCAA term.

Justin’s classification for eligibility purposes is absolutely FRESHMAN.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
nm
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

feedback