[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU has played 7th toughest schedule - Opponent Defense  (Read 2939 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
MU has played 7th toughest schedule - Opponent Defense
« on: December 23, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »
Thought this was worth pointing out, given some of the talk around our offensive challenges.  The opposition we have played so far rank 7th in aggregate defensive efficiency.  The Big East only has 4 teams in the Top 50:

UCONN = 27
Seton Hall = 32
Xavier = 34
Nova = 35

We fared pretty well offensively against both UCONN and Xavier.  The schedule ultimately softens for MU as it relates to the quality of defense we'll face.  I think we will see continued improvement on the offensive end of the floor based on the above and Shaka starting to figure out the team's best formula for offense:

JLew posting up on the block
Elliott getting 20-25 minutes/game

I expect better offensive play/output from Kolek and O-Max as compared to what we've seen so far.  Joplin and Kam will continue to improve.

Going bullish on this prediction but I think it is possible MU can go 10-10 in Big East play.

tower912

• All American
Re: MU has played 7th toughest schedule - Opponent Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 10:26:39 AM »
This is a very nice talking point.   I like it.

The counter argument is that those defenses are rated so high BECAUSE they faced Marquette.

But I agree with you that MU has faced some tough teams.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 10:27:28 AM »
I hope you are right in 10-10 because I think that would get us in the conversation for a bid.  That was my prediction in the Big East prediction thread but I had no science behind it.  Just the dreaded eye test.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 11:01:05 AM »
Good post, Ners.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 11:06:39 AM »

The counter argument is that those defenses are rated so high BECAUSE they faced Marquette.

Is that counter argument a good one?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 02:45:50 PM »

1. Seton Hall and Villanova haven't faced MU, so clearly they are not rated where they are because they faced Marquette.
2. With 13 games complete, I doubt the performance in any one game alone is enough to put a team in the top 50.  By this point in the season, it's sustained performance.

As far as reaching .500 in conference play, I was one of those who thought we had a strong chance to get there, and the path included two losses to UConn and assumed a split with Xavier.  Both of MU's conference games to date are consistent with a .500 end result.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »
1. Seton Hall and Villanova haven't faced MU, so clearly they are not rated where they are because they faced Marquette.
2. With 13 games complete, I doubt the performance in any one game alone is enough to put a team in the top 50.  By this point in the season, it's sustained performance.

As far as reaching .500 in conference play, I was one of those who thought we had a strong chance to get there, and the path included two losses to UConn and assumed a split with Xavier.  Both of MU's conference games to date are consistent with a .500 end result.

All of this. We'll know more after the next four. All four are winnable.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 04:40:45 PM »
I'm enjoying agreeing with you more often Ners.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62605.msg1395488#msg1395488

Something here about great minds, eh?  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
I'm enjoying agreeing with you more often Ners.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62605.msg1395488#msg1395488

Something here about great minds, eh?  ;D

Lol..sorry..I didn't see that thread you started. Good stuff.  But yes, nice to not have so much disagreement with you, MU82, and the handful of others I used to battle with about MU hoops now that Wojo is gone.   8-)  It's great to be excited about MU hoops again.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
Thought this was worth pointing out, given some of the talk around our offensive challenges.  The opposition we have played so far rank 7th in aggregate defensive efficiency.  The Big East only has 4 teams in the Top 50:

UCONN = 27
Seton Hall = 32
Xavier = 34
Nova = 35

We fared pretty well offensively against both UCONN and Xavier.  The schedule ultimately softens for MU as it relates to the quality of defense we'll face.  I think we will see continued improvement on the offensive end of the floor based on the above and Shaka starting to figure out the team's best formula for offense:

JLew posting up on the block
Elliott getting 20-25 minutes/game

I expect better offensive play/output from Kolek and O-Max as compared to what we've seen so far.  Joplin and Kam will continue to improve.

Going bullish on this prediction but I think it is possible MU can go 10-10 in Big East play.
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »
Elon

I am so happy to be excited about MU basketball again. It has been a long time since I have been this excited.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
https://twitter.com/jgtrends/status/1475154188367630338?t=fAPOqyJXQCSM9VSPpuX8-g&s=19

A nice visual to illustrate this point

Yep and for those banging the TJ Oltzberge drum, notice Iowa State has played virtually the easiest combination of weak offenses and weak defenses.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 12:13:42 PM »
Yep and for those banging the TJ Oltzberge drum, notice Iowa State has played virtually the easiest combination of weak offenses and weak defenses.

Agree. TJO is most likely a fine coach, but let's see how Iowa State does over the entirety of this season, including the NCAA tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 03:07:01 PM »
I'm impressed by what TJO has done, but he's also built his team completely differently. Their 9 man rotation has 8 third or fourth year players. Only Tyrese Hunter is in the rotation as an underclassman. Sure, they brought in a lot of new pieces, but they are old, experienced pieces intended to win now, not to develop over the next few years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »
In this new and long overdue era of free agency for college athletes, there are going to be two main ways to build teams. IMHO it's far too early to know which will end up being the most successful long-term way.

I'm thinking that it will be difficult to win year after year after year having to cobble together a roster whose top several players are transfers. And I would think having players that will grow for 2-3-4 years within a system, supplemented by a talented transfer or two along the way, would be the better long-term plan. I guess we'll find out in a couple/few years.