Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach Nevada Smith  (Read 9322 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Coach Nevada Smith
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
When the three's start falling, either this year or next year with new players, we are going to be singing praise to the style of play. Every game there are a ton of wide open three balls, unfortunately we are missing them badly. Now, some might be angry on who is taking the shot, but there are a lot of wide open looks every game.

panda

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2021, 10:55:05 AM »
The metrics weren't solid the 2nd half vs the weasel/rodents.  That's all I'm saying.

Correct. It’s also worth noting that one half is a pretty poor sample size.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2021, 10:57:01 AM »
Nothing is perfect but our defense has been solid. The metrics back it up.

#60 defense Pomeroy, #85 Torvik, #71 Haslam.  Metrics say it's mediocre so far.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 10:59:59 AM by rocky_warrior »

panda

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
#60 defense Pomeroy, #85 Torvik, #71 Haslam.  Metrics say it's mediocre so far.

I was going off kenpom. 60 out of 358 is good and will keep a team competitive every game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2021, 11:06:37 AM »
I was going off kenpom. 60 out of 358 is good and will keep a team competitive every game.

60 is pretty average.  Title contenders are top-20.  I believe Baylor was only the 2nd team of the KenPom era to win a title not being in the top 20 defensively and they were 22nd
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
60 is pretty average.  Title contenders are top-20.  I believe Baylor was only the 2nd team of the KenPom era to win a title not being in the top 20 defensively and they were 22nd

In my lexicon, 60 is solid. Maybe I should’ve picked a different adjective.

Either way, the defense isn’t the issue as muggsy falsely laid out.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2021, 11:11:24 AM »

But that's only good for 6th best in the BE (pomeroy...so far)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2021, 11:12:21 AM »

At best, the defense has been disjointed
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2021, 11:15:58 AM »
But that's only good for 6th best in the BE (pomeroy...so far)

A defense that will keep you in more games than it will lose you games is “solid” in my verbiage. We’re looking at the same stats and drawing the same conclusions. Pick a different adjective that you feel may be a more appropriate fit.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2021, 11:16:51 AM »

I didn't write that it "was" the issue.  I have stated far more problems with our offense than our defense.  I just wrote that our defense being "solid" is TBD.

panda

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2021, 11:21:10 AM »
I didn't write that it "was" the issue.  I have stated far more problems with our offense than our defense.  I just wrote that our defense being "solid" is TBD.

To be fair, you would have a list as long as the Declaration of Independence even if we were 11-0 !

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2021, 11:22:42 AM »
A defense that will keep you in more games than it will lose you games is “solid” in my verbiage. We’re looking at the same stats and drawing the same conclusions. Pick a different adjective that you feel may be a more appropriate fit.

I already did.  Mediocre.  You want to compare us to all Div 1, I'm comparing to our BE peers.  D is solidly in the middle of that group (so far), (and lets not compare our offense to that group right now, yikes).  We all hope for better, and for improvement as the year(s) goes on.

If you're content with our defense today, you should have also been content last year (#59, Torvik).  I assume that wasn't the case???

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 11:30:17 AM »
To be fair, you would have a list as long as the Declaration of Independence even if we were 11-0 !

I  have occasionally pointed out some issues.......regardless of our record over the years.  I'm eager to get back to greatness.  :)

panda

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 11:38:40 AM »
I already did.  Mediocre.  You want to compare us to all Div 1, I'm comparing to our BE peers.  D is solidly in the middle of that group (so far), (and lets not compare our offense to that group right now, yikes).  We all hope for better, and for improvement as the year(s) goes on.

If you're content with our defense today, you should have also been content last year (#59, Torvik).  I assume that wasn't the case???

As stated multiple times, the defense won’t play us out of games like it has in the past.

Muggsy stated the defense had significant issues (I should’ve noted who was posting before responding) and I said the defense was solid aka not the root issue of our struggles.

panda

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2021, 11:41:07 AM »

The defense was horrendous last year in conference (as it always was with Wojo). It had to be far and away the worst in the league.

Probably decent OOC and horrible against common coaching staffs and opponents in conference. Makes me shudder thinking about it still.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
When the three's start falling, either this year or next year with new players, we are going to be singing praise to the style of play. Every game there are a ton of wide open three balls, unfortunately we are missing them badly. Now, some might be angry on who is taking the shot, but there are a lot of wide open looks every game.

100%.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 11:47:11 AM »
The defense was horrendous last year in conference (as it always was with Wojo). It had to be far and away the worst in the league.

Probably decent OOC and horrible against common coaching staffs and opponents in conference. Makes me shudder thinking about it still.

Actually, it was consistently mediocre last year, ended #7 in the league.  And that's my point!  If you want to see it plotted, go here and pull down "adjusted defense"
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Marquette&year=2021

There is lots of room for improvement this year.  If that happens, I'll join you on the "solid" defense train.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:49:25 AM by rocky_warrior »

panda

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2021, 12:01:04 PM »
Actually, it was consistently mediocre last year, ended #7 in the league.  And that's my point!  If you want to see it plotted, go here and pull down "adjusted defense"
https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Marquette&year=2021

There is lots of room for improvement this year.  If that happens, I'll join you on the "solid" defense train.

Their defensive efficiency in conference last year was 98.4. Dead last.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2021, 12:32:45 PM »
rocky and panda, you're talking a bit past each other. Both of you are correct but you're not talking about the same thing.

Marquette's total adjusted defense was 7th in the league when you factor in non-conference games, so in that regard, rocky is right. Much of that is because they absolutely suffocated UAPB and Eastern Illinois to start the season, and were at least respectable in all their other non-con games.

The wheels came off in Big East play, and in conference-only play we were dead last, which is where panda is right.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2021, 12:54:36 PM »
rocky and panda, you're talking a bit past each other. Both of you are correct but you're not talking about the same thing.

Marquette's total adjusted defense was 7th in the league when you factor in non-conference games, so in that regard, rocky is right. Much of that is because they absolutely suffocated UAPB and Eastern Illinois to start the season, and were at least respectable in all their other non-con games.

The wheels came off in Big East play, and in conference-only play we were dead last, which is where panda is right.

Yes - and to answer Rocky’s question, no I would not want last years defense as it was truly horrendous.

This years is fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »
I wonder what Nevada Smith thinks of the defense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 01:41:38 PM »
I wonder what Nevada Smith thinks of the defense.

He probably hopes it improves so that his offense gets less criticism :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »

Indeed!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »

Tongue in cheek, but I think the offense improving will lead to the defense improving. We're best when we can set our defense and press, but we can't do that unless we're putting the ball in the basket. Unlike Smart's VCU teams, we don't thrive on live-ball turnovers which lead to easy offensive opportunities so the defense feeds the offense, instead we need to make shots so we can set up the defense and the offense feeds the defense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2021, 02:55:00 PM »
Brew

Spot on. If we make some baskets it will help on defensive side of the ball a great deal. Definitely can cause more trouble defensively starting from inbounds pass vs. a rebound.

feedback