Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Future Problems  (Read 5545 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Future Problems
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
One thing that I think keeps getting missed is that Shaka Smart has over a decade of experience as high level D1 coach and he sure as hell should know what he is doing. Getting frustrated with a young assistant, turned HC, is understandable and questioning him is great conversation. We have a guy that knows what he is doing and his earned his stripes over the years.

IMO, aside from being a very good recruiter and leader, he is a proven HC and if Shaka wants them to only take half court shots, then they should only take half court shots. I would say I am 99.9% certain that Shaka has a plan in mind, knows how or when to make adjustments and is capable of running a D1 program.

I have said a bunch over the past couple of months, I think we all forget that we have a real HC running the squad. MU had not hired an experienced HC in two decades and it easy to forget. Question Wojo or Buzz in first couple of years, I get it, but the discussions on what Shaka can and cannot do are a bit premature, IMO.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2021, 02:34:39 PM »
Tower, I certainly hope you are correct.  Nevertheless, with the exception of Greg, ever single player on our roster looked as if they were strapped to chairs in Pamplona, with a herd of angry bulls kicking it into overdrive, ready to pummel and attack.   They played with incalculable fear from my perspective. Letting it fly doesn't mean you are not terrified out there.  It was quite noticeable and hopefully not a harbinger of things to come.  I would say you are whistling dixie here on the no fear suggestion.  I do agree that the game needs to slow down for us in general.

Oh  the freshmen appeared self aware on Saturday.     And Muggsy, I have always thought this year was about next year.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 02:35:30 PM »
Oh  the freshmen appeared self aware on Saturday.     And Muggsy, I have always thought this year was about next year.

True.  I can get ahead of things.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »
True.  I can get ahead of things.
Noooooo.   You?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 02:39:59 PM »
One thing that I think keeps getting missed is that Shaka Smart has over a decade of experience as high level D1 coach and he sure as hell should know what he is doing. Getting frustrated with a young assistant, turned HC, is understandable and questioning him is great conversation. We have a guy that knows what he is doing and his earned his stripes over the years.

IMO, aside from being a very good recruiter and leader, he is a proven HC and if Shaka wants them to only take half court shots, then they should only take half court shots. I would say I am 99.9% certain that Shaka has a plan in mind, knows how or when to make adjustments and is capable of running a D1 program.

I have said a bunch over the past couple of months, I think we all forget that we have a real HC running the squad. MU had not hired an experienced HC in two decades and it easy to forget. Question Wojo or Buzz in first couple of years, I get it, but the discussions on what Shaka can and cannot do are a bit premature, IMO.

Right...no questioning experienced head coaches!  Huh?  Why should they be immune to the wrath of Fans? Shouldn't we expect more from them?  Question them even more when things go badly? 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »
Rocky

By your expectations the season has been a success thus far, what could you possibly question? You can question all you would like because I find most of your basketball related comments to be very entertaining. I actually will read your comments several times because I find them so entertaining.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2021, 02:58:50 PM »
By your expectations the season has been a success thus far, what could you possibly question? You can question all you would like because I find most of your basketball related comments to be very entertaining. I actually will read your comments several times because I find them so entertaining.

Your digs on my hoops knowledge never disappoints.  But as long as you're smiling, It's all good.

As for what I could (should) question.  To this point in the year, Shaka's system has provided a very poor offensive system, and a very mediocre defensive system.  Like you, I expect that to get better in the following years, but I do believe he either overestimated the talent he had coming in, or misjudged it.  I expected an experienced coach to hit the ground running in a more efficient manner.    So the results so far are fine, but I do believe he whiffed in this summer's transfer market and instead focused on young talent (that we all hope eventually matures). 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »

Many Texas fans would have a chuckle at this, as they believe their team underachieved for most of Shaka's 6 seasons there despite him having been a heralded, experienced coach.

But that was then in Texas, this is now at Marquette, and I believe this is a better spot for him. And while I wouldn't try to muzzle our fellow Scoopers, I agree that Shaka deserves the benefit of the doubt here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 03:23:16 PM »

He did underachieve at Texas and that is why he is the coach at MU. I would say that expectations at Texas were probably higher than that of most of MU faithful have for the program. I am going with my gut, but I doubt there was much micromanaging of Shaka 11 games into his UT tenure. I just find it funny that after an 8-3 start, that few had predicted, there are so many second guessers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »

He did underachieve at Texas and that is why he is the coach at MU. I would say that expectations at Texas were probably higher than that of most of MU faithful have for the program. I am going with my gut, but I doubt there was much micromanaging of Shaka 11 games into his UT tenure. I just find it funny that after an 8-3 start, that few had predicted, there are so many second guessers.

I've been surprised by that, too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2021, 03:52:23 PM »

I am not surprised, I think it is funny. Funny like Wojo should have been given more time or Brian Wardle should have been on our short list for new HC. I definitely am not surprised, just amused.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2021, 06:38:40 PM »

I am not surprised, I think it is funny. Funny like Wojo should have been given more time or Brian Wardle should have been on our short list for new HC. I definitely am not surprised, just amused.

Or that Wojo would be (and even should be!) back for year #7.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2021, 06:52:19 PM »

Very few said he should be back. There probably are more Scoopers dumping on Shaka now than were saying at the end of last season Wojo should return.

I'll admit that I was among those who had no idea that Marquette had the kind of boosters who would pony up millions upon millions of dollars to get rid of a basketball coach.

I certainly am glad we have upgraded.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 09:15:45 PM »

He was back for year 7  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
He was back for year 7  ;D

Guess I lost track. Seemed like even longer.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 09:36:13 PM »
Anyone know what Wojo is doing nowadays???

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2021, 09:46:19 PM »
Seemed like even longer.

It sure as hell did.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2021, 09:50:27 PM »
Porky loves everyone's enthusiasm and passion but c'mon!  We were picked to finish 9th in conference and as much as it pains Porky to acknowledge it, the people who are supposed to know more about these matters than us because they're paid to are usually pretty accurate.  Sure we've had some solid W's and off to a better start than anyone could have reasonably expected, but Lewis aside, our talent level is middle of the road at best and we're very young.   Sure we have some experience with Gregg, Darryl and Kur who are all capable high major players and thank God we do, but competition for talent is fierce and ours is middle of the road.  Furthermore, these guys haven't been playing together for a quarter of a season so expectations need to be tempered.  Porky has full confidence in Shaka but it's going to take time and chances are we'll be .500 by mid Jan and likely worse beyond that.  Really hoping Porky is dead wrong about this but can't let a couple of unexpected W's over good teams without their best players lead Porky to believe we're better and have more potential than we really do.   Shaka will eventually bring MU back to greatness but this is not our year.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:53:40 PM by PorkysButthole »

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2021, 09:51:05 PM »
Some reviews are brutal here. I never would have expected MU to be 8-3 under Wojo at this time. Shaka is 8-3 with basically an all new team...and that's settling for some guys rather than "getting" guys we pursued heavily with specific skills in mind. I'd advise us to ease up....
I like the spirit that this team has exhibited and like the growth prospects. I do expect us to be better in January than November and then better in March than January.
Shaka's an experienced D1 coach and will continue to work and teach these guys. There are some skills lacking on all guys so young but they have responded to different coaching and techniques from Wojo. A couple of fixes would help a lot.
Certainly shot selection since we just can't shoot with and degree of accuracy from 3. We need to finish when the ball gets down low or not try to when double and triple teamed. Somebody's open but have to be found. Long distance, cross court passes/lobs need to stop. Constant drives by Kolek with automatic kick outs from under the basket need to stop or do something different.... Just saying.
But lots of learning going on and I see more upside than down at this point... Let's enjoy the team and remember mistakes will be made but let's see what's learned from them. Still like 8-3 right now.

axaguy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »
Preseason selection for 9th in the conference isn't because there are some knowledgeable people out there. It's because of the total unknown about all the new guys and turnover from last season. Doesn't take a genius to figure no one had a clue how we'd gel as a team. DePaul's picked for 10th based on past performance and the same uncertainty with a new coach, as well.
Bold prediction... Bet we AND DePaul are not 9 and 10 when the Big East winds up in March. Not conference champs but new #9 and #10 emerge other than us and DePaul....

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »
Preseason selection for 9th in the conference isn't because there are some knowledgeable people out there. It's because of the total unknown about all the new guys and turnover from last season. Doesn't take a genius to figure no one had a clue how we'd gel as a team. DePaul's picked for 10th based on past performance and the same uncertainty with a new coach, as well.
Bold prediction... Bet we AND DePaul are not 9 and 10 when the Big East winds up in March. Not conference champs but new #9 and #10 emerge other than us and DePaul....

Hope you're right and Porky is wrong.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
Guess I lost track. Seemed like even longer.

Are Wojo years like dog years?