Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek's Shooting % (or lack thereof)  (Read 6939 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Kolek's Shooting % (or lack thereof)
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
Maybe a conversation would be easier if you were a little less vague. What actually was “Scoop’s” reaction? When exactly did Scoop start reacting? IOW, source please.

Lenny I said it all in the post  you originally responded to

I find the dichotomy between how Scoop has reacted to Koleks shooting slump this year to how Scoop reacted to Cartons shooting slump last year to be fascinating. I see a lot of "he was a great shooter last season, keep shooting,  they will fall eventually". My recollection with Carton was that there was a lot more of telling him not to shoot anymore even though Carton shot a better 3P% the previous season (on fewer attempts) and his slump wasn't any worse than koleks

If people criticized Carton for taking too many 3s early in the season all we can say is that they proved prescient. By season’s end, DJ led the team in attempts despite the fact that his “make %” among the starters was (by a good margin) the worst. That seems like a demonstrably flawed strategy. When teams underperform as badly as last year’s team did those flaws are magnified.

They were prescient. I never said they weren't. I never said anything about my opinion of whether or not DJ Carton should have kept shooting or if it was good strategy.

If, at the end of the season, Kolek leads the team in 3 point attempts and his % of makes is far worse than everyone else in the starting lineup you’ll have a point.

Until then, I’ll trust Shaka to make adjustments as he sees fit - something he looks pretty good at so far and something that was never our previous coach’s strong point.

Again Lenny, I didn't say anything about whether or not Kolek should keep shooting or anything about not trusting Shaka to make adjustments. You have turned an off handed comment about me comparing pessimistic Scoop to optimistic Scoop (I prefer optimistic Scoop BTW) into a giant strawman
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2021, 04:04:11 PM »
Soooooo......he's making about 1/7 of what he could've made had he stayed in college and transferred to UNC?

The average UNC player is making $500k? Source?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2021, 04:11:08 PM »
If, at the end of the season, Kolek leads the team in 3 point attempts and his % of makes is far worse than everyone else in the starting lineup you’ll have a point.

Until then, I’ll trust Shaka to make adjustments as he sees fit - something he looks pretty good at so far and something that was never our previous coach’s strong point.

Sure, to all of that. We'll see.

Of course, like most Scoop debates about hypothetical situations, "we'll see" rarely satisfies.

I hope Kolek improves his shooting. I wish Carton nothing but success as a pro.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2021, 05:01:23 PM »
I hope he keeps firing up the shots. When he turns things around it will make more dangerous. I cannot believe he can continue to shot this poorly.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2021, 05:15:48 PM »
Goose,

Not sure that I agree. We need him to make some of those wide open 3s, but right now I am going by the eye test. His shot is awful. They look off from the time the ball leaves his hand. Throw out the WVU game and he is 6-38. I don't want that guy shooting 3s until he figures things out.

You watch Kam and it is the opposite - every shot looks good leaving his hand. Same with Lewis even though he is not as good as Kam at 3s. Run more screens to get shots for Kam, Greg, Joplin, Lewis, etc. For now, let Kolek make the pass - not take the shot.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2021, 06:30:00 PM »
The average UNC player is making $500k? Source?

Our very own Billy is the source, dammit!
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=62353.msg1383822#msg1383822

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2021, 06:36:08 PM »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback