[Today at 03:01:12 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And...exhale  (Read 7333 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: And...exhale
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
That's the best-officiated game I've seen in awhile. They let the kids play, but they had control of the game and they called all the stuff they had to call.
Thought the same thing...and some inconsistent calls in a game like that can make things impossible for a team.  Really impressed by that crew. 

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 08:58:52 AM »
This team lives and dies off its defense. Until we develop or find a consistent scorer the offense will be our weakness. For a young team I believe we will have more wins this season than if the situation were reversed.

I was more confident last night having to get a stop vs. needing a bucket to win.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 09:08:51 AM »
My wife noticed, and we backed the video up to check .. at the end of the game, Kolek stared into the crowd and gave a enthusiastic "EFFF YOU!"

Not sure what that was about, he seemed irked at someone in particular.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2021, 09:10:26 AM »
My wife noticed, and we backed the video up to check .. at the end of the game, Kolek stared into the crowd and gave a enthusiastic "EFFF YOU!"

Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »

The student section had been chanting "F you tyler"
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »
Big win.  Wasn't pretty.  Tried to give it away at the end (despite solid shots from Justin and Greg in the final possessions).  But we'll take that W and run.  Was needed.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2021, 09:19:26 AM »
Not to be that guy, but can we give some credit to Wojo and former staff for recruiting Kam?  The kid is a gamer and is very much our best freshman.

I struggle to think how he would have been utilized if under the former staff this year.  Providing big minutes.

Wojo deserves a solid amount of credit.  JLEw is a unnatural carnal knowledgein dude, Oso has enormous upside and Kam/Stevie are the best 2 freshman we have.  Wojo consistently brought in talent - he just sucked at coaching.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
Wojo deserves a solid amount of credit.  JLEw is a unnatural carnal knowledgein dude, Oso has enormous upside and Kam/Stevie are the best 2 freshman we have.  Wojo consistently brought in talent - he just sucked at coaching.

His flaw was that he would always go with the hot player, usually Rowsey, Sam and definitely Markus. He never got them to play as a unit. How many times would you see the other players just stand around while one of them took over. Yes, you can win some games that way, but not have a winning team. Yes, he was given all the tools. He just did not know how to use them. Really sad.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 09:53:52 AM »

I believe he was rattled by the crowd which perhaps resulted in his poorer shooting than usual.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 10:24:50 AM »
The student section had been chanting "F you tyler"

Don't know why opposing crowds always hate White PGs but they do. Kolek has to embrace it and let it fuel his game
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2021, 10:46:12 AM »

I got a message from someone at the game early this morning and apparently they started a "Tyler Sucks" chant on three separate occasions.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2021, 11:33:45 AM »
K-State's unis were trash.  Looked like the equipment manager mixed the home shorts with the road shirts.  Awful.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2021, 11:37:11 AM »
The announcer said the players voted on it and chose that combination for the MU game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
Marquette has become the team other schools decide to wear ugly uniforms for. They all want to be Bo Ellis, but sadly there is only one.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2021, 11:40:12 AM »
This is the only point I will quibble with.

Yes, the half court defense was solid. It has improved a lot in the span of a month. But the transition defense continues to be so awful that I give a negative overall grade to the defense.

Per Kenpom, this defense (56th) is better than every Wojo defense except for 2019 (45th). 56th is much higher than I expected to be at this point in the season with the young guys we are rolling out there.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »
Marquette has become the team other schools decide to wear ugly uniforms for. They all want to be Bo Ellis, but sadly there is only one.

Gonna be honest - I don’t think that the parents of these players ever wanted to emulate Bo Ellis…

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2021, 11:47:36 AM »
The half court defense has generally been very good.    I like the hedge for the high pick and rolls.   I like that the wing defenders have enough size to contest in the lane.   I like how much switching goes on out front.    I like the mixed in possessions of zone just to disrupt the flow.   I prefer the emphasis on disruption as opposed to containment.   Get some steals!     

MU has had two weaknesses on defense.    Transition defense/the press getting beat and defensive rebounding.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
Per Kenpom, this defense (56th) is better than every Wojo defense except for 2019 (45th). 56th is much higher than I expected to be at this point in the season with the young guys we are rolling out there.

I think the criticism was for this game. K-State got 19 or so points on turnovers.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2021, 01:17:43 PM »
The half court defense has generally been very good.    I like the hedge for the high pick and rolls.   I like that the wing defenders have enough size to contest in the lane.   I like how much switching goes on out front.    I like the mixed in possessions of zone just to disrupt the flow.   I prefer the emphasis on disruption as opposed to containment.   Get some steals!     

MU has had two weaknesses on defense.    Transition defense/the press getting beat and defensive rebounding.   

Am I wrong in thinking that we really stopped pressing after made baskets in the second half yesterday?  Seemed like we only did so after deadballs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »

Initially, I really wasn’t that excited about Kam Jones. Thought he would have been set free by the new staff. He’s been a huge piece to this team and MU is fortunate to have him.

The Shaka freshman are definitely behind at this point. Hope those guys (Ellis and Joplin) keep their heads up because there is a lot of ball to be played. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2021, 03:19:35 PM »
The announcer said the players voted on it and chose that combination for the MU game.   

I found it interesting that the NCAA doesn't allow combinations like K-State had, they are allowed 1 exception per season and the players chose the MU game.

Marquette should apply for 1 game exceptions for the untucked unis!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2021, 03:28:32 PM »
I found it interesting that the NCAA doesn't allow combinations like K-State had, they are allowed 1 exception per season and the players chose the MU game.

Marquette should apply for 1 game exceptions for the untucked unis!

I don’t know that this is true — source??

Except from Section 22 of the rule book:
“ Art. 4. Opposing team uniforms shall be of contrasting colors. The home team shall wear light game jerseys and game shorts, and the away team shall wear dark game jerseys and game shorts. This rule may be altered by mutual consent of the competing institutions as long as the color of the jersey and shorts are still contrasting”

In other words, if their opponents all agreed, K-State could wear that trash every game.

Untucked doesn’t appear to ever be allowed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2021, 03:42:08 PM »
U think that the announcers said it, which of course does not mean that it is true.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2021, 04:32:25 PM »
Bring back the bumblebees, dammit!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
I don’t know that this is true — source??

my source was the game announcers, surely I'm not the only one that heard that

feedback