[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: K State Suffers a Date with Fate  (Read 4856 times)

GoldenDieners32

• All American
Re: K State Suffers a Date with Fate
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 11:47:39 PM »
Great to see Greg back into it, gonna need his energy going into the UCLA game and BE play

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 06:15:34 AM »
Yes, his impact was he almost shot them out of winning.
I guess that 8 rebounds and 7 assists almost shot us out of winning also.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2021, 07:08:53 AM »
3-7 or 4 more assists would would a lot better and the game would not have been close.

42.9% from 3, 11 assists, 8 rebounds and 2 steals would be a lot better? Yeah, like first team AA better. That kind of performance at every position would insure a national championship. Keep dreaming.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2021, 07:58:11 AM »
We make a ton of passes as a team to wide open three point shooters that are out of the shooting pocket.  There were multiple times last night that the shooter had to catch the ball at his knees or way too far to the left or right.  It completely disrupted the rhythm of multiple shots and led to multiple bricks.

That isn't the entire reason for our shooting woes as a team, obviously, but it’s one of them.  We need better passes to wide open shooters.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2021, 08:14:08 AM »
1.   Shaka isn't afraid to play a little zone from time to time.
2.   He isn't afraid to ride a hot hand.    Yay, Greg.   Sorry, Stevie.
3.   Lewis was the man.   
4.   Kur and Osa are doing great.   They aren't making moves.    They are just finishing when they get the dish around the rim.   
5.   MU was actually running a set last night.    Did you see it?   Elliot and Jones corner 3's were off of a play.    They use the scouting report on Lewis and give him the ball in the wide post, perhaps a little closer to the foul line than usual.     He has his back to the basket, starts pounding the floor and surveying the court.    Weakside, Kur/Osa are setting a screen on the corner shooter's man.   K-state had that guy collapsing almost to the lane.   Pick is set and a passing lane appears from Lewis to Greg/Kam.   Baseball pass, recovering defender is bumped just enough.   Open look.    Very nice, very subtle, something I haven't noticed before last night.   
6.   Kolek is not getting any lift on his jumper.
7.  Morsell is limping when walking.   
8.  Osa has come so far.    And he still handles the ball on the perimeter like a wing.    If he develops a decent 3 pt shot....
9.   A road win against a Power conference opponent.   
10.  This team fights.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2021, 08:15:59 AM »
We make a ton of passes as a team to wide open three point shooters that are out of the shooting pocket.  There were multiple times last night that the shooter had to catch the ball at his knees or way too far to the left or right.  It completely disrupted the rhythm of multiple shots and led to multiple bricks.

That isn't the entire reason for our shooting woes as a team, obviously, but it’s one of them.  We need better passes to wide open shooters.

We take an awful lot of not-in-rhythm 3 pointers to be sure, often with a lot of time on the clock.  That is not a good recipe for making a high percentage.  We substitute skip passes for drive and kick-out passes too often to get our step into it 3 pointers.  While those work, it is much more difficult to put the pass into the shooting pocket.  If you catch one of those passes at your ankles, you don't have to shoot it.  Keep the ball moving or drive yourself.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2021, 08:19:51 AM »
Kam Jones was wide open every possession down the stretch. It just took kolek to find him. Greg and Justin should have found him earlier.

Our record is probably better than it should be, but I am not displeased with that fact.

Greg missed an EXTREMELY wide open Kam at the top of the arc in the last couple minutes when he drove and forced a terrible shot.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 08:22:31 AM »
Greg missed an EXTREMELY wide open Kam at the top of the arc in the last couple minutes when he drove and forced a terrible shot.

Yep.  Saw that too.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »
We take an awful lot of not-in-rhythm 3 pointers to be sure, often with a lot of time on the clock.  That is not a good recipe for making a high percentage.  We substitute skip passes for drive and kick-out passes too often to get our step into it 3 pointers.  While those work, it is much more difficult to put the pass into the shooting pocket.  If you catch one of those passes at your ankles, you don't have to shoot it.  Keep the ball moving or drive yourself.

Agree - nothing I hate more than hurried, early in the shot clock, quasi off balance 3s - especially from guys who aren’t drop dead shooters. Our interior passing and our kick outs off dribble drives are really good - let’s take advantage of those strengths.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
Kolek was very good.  Basketball is more than shooting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2021, 10:26:22 AM »
Not to be negative or that this matters in the least when it comes to MU’s resume, but MU caught a break in this game and the Illinois game where both teams were missing arguably their best player. It’s not MU’s problem though, but a little bit lucky on that front.

I'm ok with this and here's why: I've already seen incredible growth in this team since the beginning of the season.  If they continue this trajectory, they'll be quite good by the end of the year.  This sets up our resume for that time without making (hopefully) the end of the season into as much of a nail biter.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »
7.  Morsell is limping when walking. 

This.  Someone else (sorry, don’t remember who) had mentioned last week that the trainer has been working on him during the breaks, and I noticed the limping last night as well.  Something is up there. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »
I heard/read somewhere quad and shoulder.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2021, 01:20:56 PM »
Yep.  Saw that too.

Right after the play Greg looked at Kam
 and pointed at him. He knows he missed it.