'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: "Shaka" Chant  (Read 2224 times)

withoutbias

• All American
"Shaka" Chant
« on: November 18, 2021, 01:06:34 PM »
It was mentioned that when Marquette forced a 10 second violation against Illinois that the student section started chanting "Shaka."  Was this like a quick "Sha-kah Sha-kah" chant or a long, slow, drawn out "SHAAAAKAAAAH.  SHAAAKAAAH." chant?  If it's the latter, that's pretty badass.  I'm envisioning a Golden State Warriors "Warrrriorrrrrs" (of which we should also be stealing to chant at the Fiserv) tone and tempo to the "Shaka!" chant.  That would be pretty awesome.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: "Shaka" Chant
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »
I heard it as a quick "Sha-ka, Sha-ka, Sha-ka, ...".

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 01:20:35 PM »
The chant wasn't for the 10 second call. It was when both coaches went to mid court and Shaka seemed to be giving it to the refs is when the students broke out in the chant.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 01:47:24 PM »
I heard it as a quick "Sha-ka, Sha-ka, Sha-ka, ...".

The chant wasn't for the 10 second call. It was when both coaches went to mid court and Shaka seemed to be giving it to the refs is when the students broke out in the chant.

I see.  That chant makes more sense for a meeting at mid court.  Like a Jerry Springer style "Jerry Jerry" chant but for Shaka.

I would love to see a Golden State Warriors style "SHAAAAAKAAAAA" chant when the boys get rolling in the Fiserv.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »

I think that made a difference. Shaka really went after the refs. He went in on the one closest to him, that ref seemed a bit chagrined but sent him to the guy at halfcourt and Shaka spent half the TV timeout laying into him. I feel like Wojo didn't usually get results when he would go after refs, but that night it felt like it helped, particularly when you look at the final free throw disparity (despite our inability to convert on them).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 02:07:17 PM »
The students were also chanting “Shaka” leaving on the escalators after the game  and as they exited the building. Pretty cool.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 02:13:12 PM »
Maybe those that have been to a game can either affirm or disprove this thought. To me it appears that while intense, Shaka is very encouraging on the sidelines. His demeanor is very much into the possession and does so in a positive way.

I always remember Wojo punching the air when we gave up points on defense.  I always thought him being so tightly wound translated to the players on the floor and hurt performance.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 02:32:37 PM »
Maybe those that have been to a game can either affirm or disprove this thought. To me it appears that while intense, Shaka is very encouraging on the sidelines. His demeanor is very much into the possession and does so in a positive way.

I always remember Wojo punching the air when we gave up points on defense.  I always thought him being so tightly wound translated to the players on the floor and hurt performance.

Confirmed.  Shaka's demeanor is very intense. engaged, and positive.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 02:41:09 PM »
I think that made a difference. Shaka really went after the refs. He went in on the one closest to him, that ref seemed a bit chagrined but sent him to the guy at halfcourt and Shaka spent half the TV timeout laying into him. I feel like Wojo didn't usually get results when he would go after refs, but that night it felt like it helped, particularly when you look at the final free throw disparity (despite our inability to convert on them).

It hurt MU with calls for the next minute, but then the bad calls from that one ref ended. It was after the Kolek foul, when Kolek threw a bow high, but he was bumped earlier right before the shot.

Honestly the only bad call of the night to me was the IU travel that led to an open three, otherwise the refs largly made the correct calls.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 06:54:17 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I vaguely remember being in the Arena when Bob Dukiet's Warriors beat a good team early in his tenure (Tennessee?) and "Du-Kiet" chants broke out and he raised his fist in triumph to the students section on the way out.

Was all downhill from there.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 07:16:21 PM »
Nolonger

Sadly, you remember correctly.

feedback