[June 17, 2024, 07:22:01 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by The Equalizer
[June 17, 2024, 12:55:56 PM]

NBA green room by muwarrior97
[June 17, 2024, 12:30:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can we play Lewis at the 5?  (Read 1454 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Can we play Lewis at the 5?
« on: November 10, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
I think both Kuath and Oso (depending on the match-up)  can bring something to the table, but the question is whether a 3 guard line-up for significant stretches makes more sense?  O-Max wasn't great yesterday but is a critical player for us as long as he can defend multiple spots and rebound. 

Mitchell may be capable of consistent scoring but more importantly I like his ability to drive and kick or create.  I thought our offense was at its best when both Kolek and Mitchell were on the floor.  If we can open up the lane more for JLew it may also be to his benefit.  It could limit his launches from distance but also he can take bigs off the bounce in the h-court.   

I'm just wondering if we go small with Mitchell/Elliot will it be impossible to defend or rebound?  I  think offensively we're much harder to guard with Mitchell or perhaps GE on the floor with Kolek and Morsell.  Mitchell easily could have had 6 dimes if our bigs caught the ball.  I was impressed with the young man.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Can we play Lewis at the 5?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
Lewis played the 5 a lot last night, so, yes we can play him there. My perception was that him at the 5 was more effective than Kuath at the 5 and less effective than Oso at the 5, with the obvious caveat that it was only one game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 07:03:37 PM »
Lewis played the 5 a lot last night, so, yes we can play him there. My perception was that him at the 5 was more effective than Kuath at the 5 and less effective than Oso at the 5, with the obvious caveat that it was only one game.

Fair points.  But don't you think we are likely more dynamic offensively if Mitchell is the real deal and on the floor? 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 07:19:22 PM »
If memory serves (which is no guarantee) JL2 played the 5 some last year, or at the very least played in the post quite a bit and handled it very well.

There were several games where I was extremely impressed with how strong and effective he was in the post as a frosh against BE bigs.

Dawson is no longer here but he got pushed around much more, and to his credit got beat up quite a bit in conference play but gave it all he had.
As much as I hate to do this I really wish he was still at MU, I think it would’ve benefitted both parties greatly.

So my answer is yes Justin can handle the 5 but he needs another big body alongside him (like he had with Dawson). I suppose Maxence-Prosper along with JL2 and 3 guards- Stevie, Tyler and Darrell- would be worth a run versus good competition to see how it holds up defensively.
Offensively I think it would be great

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
If he has to.  Due to fouls or injury.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 08:36:37 PM »
I think both Kuath and Oso (depending on the match-up)  can bring something to the table, but the question is whether a 3 guard line-up for significant stretches makes more sense?  O-Max wasn't great yesterday but is a critical player for us as long as he can defend multiple spots and rebound. 

Mitchell may be capable of consistent scoring but more importantly I like his ability to drive and kick or create.  I thought our offense was at its best when both Kolek and Mitchell were on the floor.  If we can open up the lane more for JLew it may also be to his benefit.  It could limit his launches from distance but also he can take bigs off the bounce in the h-court.   

I'm just wondering if we go small with Mitchell/Elliot will it be impossible to defend or rebound?  I  think offensively we're much harder to guard with Mitchell or perhaps GE on the floor with Kolek and Morsell.  Mitchell easily could have had 6 dimes if our bigs caught the ball.  I was impressed with the young man.
It will be what Shaka wants.
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 09:42:21 PM »
It will be what Shaka wants.

Yep.

Shaka will try all kinds of things, and as has already been pointed out he gave JL a decent run at the 5 just last night.

The first couple months, if not the entire season, will be a series of experiments for the coach and this team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
Yep.

Shaka will try all kinds of things, and as has already been pointed out he gave JL a decent run at the 5 just last night.

The first couple months, if not the entire season, will be a series of experiments for the coach and this team.

November and our non-c games have significant importance.  Can we shock the world Nov 15?  Remember, no Cockburn.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 10:34:18 PM »
November and our non-c games have significant importance.  Can we shock the world Nov 15?  Remember, no Cockburn.

We'll get to see with our own eyes. A lot to clean up before then.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 10:36:10 PM »
Seven point dogs against the Illini

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 11:04:22 PM »

I hope most of us have had no cockburn for a while.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.