Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Lakers Going After Hurley by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:19:28 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by SaveOD238
[Today at 05:52:02 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by GoFastAndWin
[June 09, 2024, 10:48:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] UCLA Preview  (Read 1697 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
[Cracked Sidewalks] UCLA Preview
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:29:51 AM »
Look out, here comes the AP's #2 ranked UCLA. But is this team really the team pundits have ranked among the nation's elite, or are they the #44 ranked team kenpom had them as when last year's NCAA Tournament started? Cracked Sidewalks digs into the Bruins to try to find that answer.

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/11/ucla-preview-2021-22.html
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] UCLA Preview
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
Question for the old-timers. Does anyone know the last time Marquette hosted a non-conference opponent that was ranked in the top-2 in the preseason? Or even the last time we hosted a top-2 preseason team period? (The answers are different)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 09:56:06 AM »
Question for the old-timers. Does anyone know the last time Marquette hosted a non-conference opponent that was ranked in the top-2 in the preseason? Or even the last time we hosted a top-2 preseason team period? (The answers are different)

I am going to go with UNC at the Mecca and Nova.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »
I am going to go with UNC at the Mecca and Nova.

UNC at the MECCA in 1986 is correct. Villanova is not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 10:29:25 AM »

Kemba Walker's Huskies
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Slick

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 10:31:06 AM »
UCLA was not a Top 2 team, but I was at the 1964 Milwaukee Classic when Al and John Wooden faced off in Al's 1st year. MU lost by 9. Boston College and UW were the other 2 teams.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »
Kemba Walker's Huskies

It was UConn and Kemba was there, but I'm not sure anyone would've considered it his team. The 2010-11 UConn squad that won the title started the season unranked before jumping into the rankings at #7 after knocking off then-#2 Michigan State and #8 Kentucky in Maui.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 10:55:50 AM »
It was UConn and Kemba was there, but I'm not sure anyone would've considered it his team. The 2010-11 UConn squad that won the title started the season unranked before jumping into the rankings at #7 after knocking off then-#2 Michigan State and #8 Kentucky in Maui.

Actually it was the 12-13 Louisville team. #2 in AP and ESPN if that's your source.

I thought it was last year's Nova team but they were #3.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_rankings

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
Actually it was the 12-13 Louisville team. #2 in AP and ESPN if that's your source.

I thought it was last year's Nova team but they were #3.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_rankings

Nope...we only played Louisville once and it was on the road.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
UCONN was 2 when Dominic broke his foot. We were 8. Phuck AJ Price
Bring back FFP!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 11:02:37 AM »
Nope...we only played Louisville once and it was on the road.

Gotcha. One thing I don't miss about the OBE was the lopsided round robins (or lack therein).

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
UCONN was 2 when Dominic broke his foot. We were 8. Phuck AJ Price

2008-09 UConn was correct. They started the season ranked #2. There was also a Cincinnati team we hosted that started the season ranked #2, I think that was 1999, but UConn was the most recent preseason top-2 team to play at Marquette.

I'd argue these are two of the biggest "what if" games in Marquette history. What if Majerus beats then-#1 UNC? Might they have made the NCAA field? Might Rick have stuck around? And if Dom doesn't get injured, is he able to defensively contain AJ Price, whose 36 points led UConn to victory? Might Marquette have edged out Louisville (one possession game under a minute left), Pitt (second half lead), or Syracuse (overtime loss at home)? Had they won 2-3 of those games, it would've meant a better path at MSG (lost to Nova 76-75 in quarterfinals) and a NCAA 1-seed (three Big East teams earned 1-seeds).

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
Gotcha. One thing I don't miss about the OBE was the lopsided round robins (or lack therein).

Completely agree. It's why if we expand, I really hope it's just one team (Gonzaga) and a 22-game round robin. I don't think I ever appreciated how awesome the round robin was until we went to 20 games with UConn while watching other leagues that play as many games but can't manage a round robin. I'd happily sacrifice non-con games for a true champion in the league. Just look at 2018 Nebraska, 13-5 in the Big Ten and snubbed by the NCAA, to see how bad things are when you don't have a round robin.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »
I remember watching a UCONN- Marquette game in February 2011. Calhoun was attending a family funeral so his assistant coach was in charge. Marquette tied the game and won in overtime. I watched the game at the home of a friend of mine who is a UCONN alum and fervent fan (but always a gentleman- never rubbing it in when MU lost to UCONN). He had always managed to keep a poker face whether things were going well or poorly in games for UCONN but the shocked look on his face and noticeably dropped jaw when Marquette rallied and won was absolutely priceless. Then it was my turn to keep a poker face. I like to think that I did but honestly? I very likely did not.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
The answer is Wisconsin in the 2014/15 season. They lost to Duke earlier in the week so they slipped to 5 the next day, but on the day of the game they were 2.

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 11:48:16 AM »
My bad. I misread your question. Wisconsin was 3 in the preseason.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 11:54:40 AM »
2008-09 UConn was correct. They started the season ranked #2. There was also a Cincinnati team we hosted that started the season ranked #2, I think that was 1999, but UConn was the most recent preseason top-2 team to play at Marquette.

I'd argue these are two of the biggest "what if" games in Marquette history. What if Majerus beats then-#1 UNC? Might they have made the NCAA field? Might Rick have stuck around? And if Dom doesn't get injured, is he able to defensively contain AJ Price, whose 36 points led UConn to victory? Might Marquette have edged out Louisville (one possession game under a minute left), Pitt (second half lead), or Syracuse (overtime loss at home)? Had they won 2-3 of those games, it would've meant a better path at MSG (lost to Nova 76-75 in quarterfinals) and a NCAA 1-seed (three Big East teams earned 1-seeds).

I just looked at the box score of this game. Dominic only played 4 minutes which is surprising to me. I thought he got injured toward the end of the first half. Also, Cublion (I butchered that spelling) didn’t play that game. If he would’ve played he could’ve guarded Price and not let up 36. If I remember he had a broken hand that year, is that correct?
Bring back FFP!!!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »
I like the way Jaime Jacquez plays the game .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
I just looked at the box score of this game. Dominic only played 4 minutes which is surprising to me. I thought he got injured toward the end of the first half. Also, Cublion (I butchered that spelling) didn’t play that game. If he would’ve played he could’ve guarded Price and not let up 36. If I remember he had a broken hand that year, is that correct?

I remember Cooby being in and out that year, not sure if it was injury or just Buzz's preference. He went straight to Acker in that game and stuck with him. Mo hadn't played more than 22 minutes in a game all year and had played just 25 combined in the previous 4 games. Cooby played the three games before and the three after that UConn game. Though I'm not sure either of those two were going to stop Price that night. I think James was the only guy that would've been able to slow him down.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 04:31:26 PM »

Not corect, if you read the original question.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 04:40:05 PM »
Not corect, if you read the original question.

2008-09 UConn was the last preseason top-2 team Marquette hosted.