Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How many wins will MUBB have this year?

25+ wins! Dancing!
9 (3.7%)
20-24 wins! Dancing!!
41 (17%)
16-19 wins. Team Bubble Watch
134 (55.6%)
12-15 wins
48 (19.9%)
9-12 wins
9 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 241

Author Topic: The Shaka Era is happening!  (Read 19403 times)

SWARM!

• Starter
Re: The Shaka Era is happening!
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »
H: SIUE: W
H: New Hampshire: W
H: Illinois: L
N:Ole Miss (Charleston): W
N:Charleston game 2: W
N: Charleston game 3: L
H: Northern Illinois: W
H: Jackson St: W
A: UW-Madison Extension: L
A: Kansas St: W
H: UCLA: L
—BE CONF GAMES—
A: Xavier: L
H: UConn: L
A: St John’s: L
H: Creighton: W
H: providence: W
A: Georgetown W
H: DePaul: W
H: Seton Hall: W
A: Nova: L
H: Xavier: W
A: Seton hall: L
A: providence: L
H: Nova: L
A: UConn: L
A: butler: L
H: Georgetown: W
A: Creighton: L
H: butler: W
A: DePaul: W
H: St. John’s: W

Overall: 17-14
BE: 10-10
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 01:55:18 PM by SWARM! »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2021, 01:57:06 PM »
I think you are greatly discounting having the Big Ten DPOY, a contender for National DPOY this season, leading the attack.  Plus a guy like Kur in the middle cleaning up messes. 

Tyler Kolek & Justin Lewis have just enough seasoning in this new world of college basketball that when you take those four and add in Greg Elliott, you can see a closing 5 that can win a few games. 

We will absolutely be checking Bracketology.  We're no lock but we're also not DePaul.

Appreciate the optimism - I think Kauth will be fine big man role player, and Morsell is probably our best player and will get more rope offensively here than he got at Maryland.  BUt I don't expect either of these guys to be big time offensive contributors, and no one else on the team really projects to do that either.  I suspect Lewis will take a nice step forward, but he isn't nearly enough.
Greg is nothing more than a role player, and that is if he can even stay healthy.  This team will be far better defensively than any we saw under Wojo, but its going to REALLY struggle to score. Maybe this team can claw out a couple wins in the 50s against superior high major teams, but bracketology talk is fantasy land.  If this team goes .500 in BE, its a miracle.

Again, hope to be wrong. Generally not at all pessimist when it comes to Marquette basketball and my posting history over the years backs that up.  Just don't think this roster is any good as it relates to winning basketball games against high major teams over the next 5 months. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »
J5

Games in the 50's?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »
Goose, it is so hard to predict right now because nobody knows very much.   But I can easily envision games where MU does not get out of the 50s.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »
J5

Games in the 50's?

Yeah, my bet is not based on slowing it down (I will admit we don't have much of a half court O) but rather having a pressure D that turns defense into offense. 

I also think people really overrate other team's supposed lack of turnover.  Roster turnover is the new norm in CBB.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2021, 03:00:22 PM »
Goose, it is so hard to predict right now because nobody knows very much.   But I can easily envision games where MU does not get out of the 50s.

On the upside, we only play the Badgers once!
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2021, 03:02:37 PM »
Phew.   Having to play them twice would be a real nut punch.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
tower

If things are hard to predict, I would think envisioning games in the 50's would be hard to predict. I am counting on fast paced D to create some transition points and I sure as hell hope we do not have games in the 50's.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
I think you are greatly discounting having the Big Ten DPOY, a contender for National DPOY this season, leading the attack.  Plus a guy like Kur in the middle cleaning up messes. 

Tyler Kolek & Justin Lewis have just enough seasoning in this new world of college basketball that when you take those four and add in Greg Elliott, you can see a closing 5 that can win a few games. 

We will absolutely be checking Bracketology.  We're no lock but we're also not DePaul.
I agree with this analysis.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »
I hope you are right, Goose.   But if an opponent does not turn the ball over and forces MU to beat them in the half court, I can see some stretches of poor offense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2021, 03:10:43 PM »
If opposing coaches are smart (no pun intended) we will have some games in the 50s. Our best bet of scoring is in transition. Our half court offense is likely going to be a bit scary (in a bad way). If opposing teams value the ball and keep the pace slow, we will struggle to score. We will not win many games if it becomes a battle of whose half court offense is better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2021, 03:59:26 PM »
tower

If things are hard to predict, I would think envisioning games in the 50's would be hard to predict. I am counting on fast paced D to create some transition points and I sure as hell hope we do not have games in the 50's.

Goose, I watch that video of 15 dunks in 15 seconds and it gives me hope.    This will be the longest team, most athletic team in memory.   6 players 6'7 or taller.   6 guards between 6'3 and 6'5.     I envision switching everything on the perimeter 1-4 and, depending on the personnel and match ups, maybe 1-5.      If everyone steps up and healthy, I would love to see hockey style line changes, bringing in 3 minutes of full court carnage.   I would love to see extended, trapping defense forcing bad shots and live ball turnovers.  It makes me giddy.   

But our big transfer guard has a career average in 4 years of 8.7 points and 2.2 assists per game.    Defensive dynamo.
Our big defensive game changer averaged 17 minutes, 5 points 4 rebounds a game last year.     Theo, only taller?
Kolek was a zero star gym rat who scored 10.8 in the A-10.    Kudos to the freshman
OM-P averaged <10 minutes per game at Clemson.   

I want them all to excel and succeed.   I think it is there.     I think there are going to be moments where we all have glimpses of what we hope it can be.    I just think there are not enough proven offensive performers to expect this to be a tourney team.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
tower

In 2014, VCU was 22nd in the nation in possessions per game.  That was the outlier for Shaka Smart coached teams.  Prior to last season, his Texas teams were some of slowest in the nation and even last year, they were 146th in possessions per game.  All that said, they only had a handful of games in the 50’s.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2021, 09:53:41 AM »
J5

Games in the 50's?

Yes.  I think we will see Marquette score in the 50s regularly this season. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2021, 10:14:58 AM »
Yes.  I think we will see Marquette score in the 50s regularly this season.

I agree with you.  By the end of this season,  65 points might feel like an offensive explosion.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2021, 10:29:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG68PmDXw54

I still have yet to see a video of the great defense everyone has been telling me about...

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2021, 12:22:02 PM »
Low scoring is probably going to be the average for MU unless they can score often under and at the rim.  But… we will see

fjm

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
Shaka era. Tonight! Lots of people seem to think this is a 16-19 win team or more.

As I believe Tamu mentioned. 16-19 wins might not be enough for bubble.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2021, 01:56:12 PM »
Shaka era. Tonight! Lots of people seem to think this is a 16-19 win team or more.

As I believe Tamu mentioned. 16-19 wins might not be enough for bubble.

18-19 will probably be on the bubble but could go either way. 20+ should be in (provided it's 20 before the BET).
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2021, 11:05:52 PM »
We got this. 30+ wins easy.

Done deal, folks!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2021, 11:18:24 PM »

Done deal, folks!

Called it. This is why I come to Scoop: To travel to the future.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2021, 11:23:40 PM »
I still have yet to see a video of the great defense everyone has been telling me about...

Set your DVR for FS1, you’ll see something
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »

Offensive explosion tonight!

I agree with you.  By the end of this season,  65 points might feel like an offensive explosion.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2021, 11:40:50 PM »
Set your DVR for FS1, you’ll see something

Hah.  Good pull.  DVR? I watched it live!

feedback