'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How many wins will MUBB have this year?

25+ wins! Dancing!
9 (3.7%)
20-24 wins! Dancing!!
41 (17%)
16-19 wins. Team Bubble Watch
134 (55.6%)
12-15 wins
48 (19.9%)
9-12 wins
9 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 241

Author Topic: The Shaka Era is happening!  (Read 19407 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: The Shaka Era is happening!
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2021, 02:41:58 PM »
Based on past experience , it should be Kur Kuath since he gets the hard rebounds.
You have a long memory. Not being able to get tough rebounds is one of the reasons Ellenson did not make the pros.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »
Record speed. Right on time. The dog salivates. I do sincerely feel bad for you, and anyone else that trolls.

And here you are....in equally record time....also salivating
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »
Facts aren’t trolling.  Kolek isn’t playing in the A-10 anymore.  He’s playing in the Big East which is much better than the A-10

Yep. Hence St. Louis and Dayton being desperate to get to the Big East.

Makes sense, given that the A-10 is the Yadi of hoops leagues and the Big East is the Johnny Bench.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2021, 05:43:48 PM »
And here you are....in equally record time....also salivating

Nah. That poster for example trolled the same or similar subject about 100 times, whether I was around or not. Others. etc..

You are bothered because I pointed out your trolling recently. And then you did it again at the time because of it. And here you are…Brew City, Tower, today, etc category of trolling I referenced in the other post about categories of quantity of trolling. It’s less obvious, but it’s there. I can just refer to that post because it explains it all.

I don’t troll cities, schools, people, etc…so when the topic is NYC or Atlanta in the travel thread recently, the discussion takes a different turn, or insert topic here.

I post about the topics in the threads. If someone else takes that down a different path, or if several of that 20% (social validation) does it, that’s on you or them.

If people want to discuss the topics, great. If not, and people prefer trolling social validation, that’s on them.

Take it up with the people who troll.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 05:50:27 PM by shoothoops »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2021, 06:02:04 PM »
Nah. That poster for example trolled the same or similar subject about 100 times, whether I was around or not. Others. etc..

You are bothered because I pointed out your trolling recently. And then you did it again at the time because of it. And here you are…Brew City, Tower, today, etc category of trolling I referenced in the other post about categories of quantity of trolling. It’s less obvious, but it’s there. I can just refer to that post because it explains it all.

I don’t troll cities, schools, people, etc…so when the topic is NYC or Atlanta in the travel thread recently, the discussion takes a different turn, or insert topic here.

I post about the topics in the threads. If someone else takes that down a different path, or if several of that 20% (social validation) does it, that’s on you or them.

If people want to discuss the topics, great. If not, and people prefer trolling social validation, that’s on them.

Take it up with the people who troll.

Dude. You’re currently trolling. We get it. You love SLU. That’s awesome! But seriously man. It’s getting exhausting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »
Woof woof!
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2021, 06:15:28 PM »
Anyone hear any news on how OMP has looked?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »
Anyone hear any news on how OMP has looked?

Was at the open practice,  he looked like a good two way player with a lot of potential.  Have heard that he may be a year away
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2021, 06:50:16 PM »
Was at the open practice,  he looked like a good two way player with a lot of potential.  Have heard that he may be a year away

His numbers from last year made him look pretty raw.  Brownell doesn’t exactly have dynamic offenses, though
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
Here’s my comps:

Kur: Brook Lopez on D
Morsell: Jrue Holiday
OMP: Giannis
Kolek: Middleton

My issue is I can’t identify a Donte, Pat or PJT so I can’t see us getting past the Elite 8
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2021, 08:16:00 PM »
Here’s my comps:

Kur: Brook Lopez on D
Morsell: Jrue Holiday
OMP: Giannis
Kolek: Middleton

My issue is I can’t identify a Donte, Pat or PJT so I can’t see us getting past the Elite 8

Is “Brook Lopez on D” a good thing or a bad thing?

We might not get past the Elite 8, but the NBA title is in the bag!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
I've got to admit I just don't get it - this trolling business. Perhaps I am just too old or too social media ignorant.

Brew, who is, in my opinion, a keystone poster, responded to Rico's post saying there was some quality trolling going on.

I meandered from my casual knowledge of trolling (someone being a pain in the ass) to what was online - someone posting purposely provocative or offensive material to garner a reaction.

Rico's post about Kolek included two positive comments about him (he could be good) and (there's a lot to like from his frosh year), and pointed out that he was stepping up in competitive level.

I don't think that meets the qualification for trolling. Shooter,  the PhD thesis didn't help me, although it was interesting reading.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2021, 08:46:05 AM »
I've got to admit I just don't get it - this trolling business. Perhaps I am just too old or too social media ignorant.

Brew, who is, in my opinion, a keystone poster, responded to Rico's post saying there was some quality trolling going on.

I meandered from my casual knowledge of trolling (someone being a pain in the ass) to what was online - someone posting purposely provocative or offensive material to garner a reaction.

Rico's post about Kolek included two positive comments about him (he could be good) and (there's a lot to like from his frosh year), and pointed out that he was stepping up in competitive level.

I don't think that meets the qualification for trolling. Shooter,  the PhD thesis didn't help me, although it was interesting reading.

shoothoops is very sensitive about any negative comments about St. Louis University because he'd love to see them in BE but most posters don't think they add net value to the conference.   Meanwhile, Uncle Rico was commenting on Kolek saying he played well but basically we'll see how he does stepping up to a higher conference and in doing so was teasing shoothoops by using SLU as an example of a team of a lower caliber that he played prior to the transfer.  Hence Uncle Rico was trolling shoothoops to get a rise out of him, but did it in a very low key way.  Brew then congratulated Rico in the smooth trolling Rico did, since to most posters who weren't paying attention to the SLU discussions, it wouldn't have registered as trolling.

I can't break down plays on the court... but I can help breakdown trolling the internet no problem.    ;D

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »

shoothoops is very sensitive about any negative comments about St. Louis University because he'd love to see them in BE but most posters don't think they add net value to the conference.   Meanwhile, Uncle Rico was commenting on Kolek saying he played well but basically we'll see how he does stepping up to a higher conference and in doing so was teasing shoothoops by using SLU as an example of a team of a lower caliber that he played prior to the transfer.  Hence Uncle Rico was trolling shoothoops to get a rise out of him, but did it in a very low key way.  Brew then congratulated Rico in the smooth trolling Rico did, since to most posters who weren't paying attention to the SLU discussions, it wouldn't have registered as trolling.

I can't break down plays on the court... but I can help breakdown trolling the internet no problem.    ;D

The Czar of the Trollistrator

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2021, 09:42:15 AM »
H: SIUE: W
H: New Hampshire: W
H: Illinois: L
N:Ole Miss (Charleston): L
N:Charleston game 2: W (Elon)
N: Charleston game 3: W (Temple)
H: Northern Illinois: W
H: Jackson St: W
A: UW-Madison Extension: L
A: Kansas St: L
H: UCLA: L
—BE CONF GAMES—
A: Xavier: L
H: UConn: L
A: St John’s: L
H: Creighton: W
H: providence: W
A: Georgetown L
H: DePaul: W
H: Seton Hall: L
A: Nova L
H: Xavier L
A: Seton hall L
A: providence L
H: Nova: L
A: UConn: L
A: butler: L
H: Georgetown: W
A: Creighton: L
H: butler: W
A: DePaul: L
H: St. John’s: L

Total W-L: 6-5 non-conf;  5-15 Big East - OVERALL: 11-20 (tied 10th in Big East)

Biggest impact player: Justin Lewis Big East Honorable Mention.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2021, 10:37:13 AM »

Trolling is a fishing term. It's when you put a piece of bait on a line and drag it through the water hoping a fish will bite. When Rico posted about in here, specifically mentioning SLU, he was trying to get shoot to bite. When shoot couldn't help himself and fired off a 500+ word TL;DR response, he had clearly chomped down and swallowed the hook.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2021, 11:00:47 AM »
H: Illinois: L
N:Ole Miss (Charleston): L
N:Charleston game 2: W (Elon)
N: Charleston game 3: W (Temple)
A: UW-Madison Extension: L
A: Kansas St: L
—BE CONF GAMES—
H: UConn: L
A: St John’s: L
A: Georgetown L
H: Seton Hall: L
A: Nova L
H: Xavier L
A: Seton hall L
A: providence L
H: Nova: L
A: butler: L
A: Creighton: L
A: DePaul: L
H: St. John’s: L

Total W-L: 6-5 non-conf;  5-15 Big East - OVERALL: 11-20 (tied 10th in Big East)

Biggest impact player: Justin Lewis Big East Honorable Mention.

Well, we have the worst case scenario prediction covered.  Hope you are wrong.  I wish I could be 100% positive you are wrong but I could see this season play out in  numerous ways.  I hope it’s not a nuclear winter.  We’ll find out shortly. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2021, 11:04:56 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2021, 11:19:03 AM »
Well, we have the worst case scenario prediction covered.  Hope you are wrong.  I wish I could be 100% positive you are wrong but I could see this season play out in  numerous ways.  I hope it’s not a nuclear winter.  We’ll find out shortly.

I hope to be wrong as well.  But I am completely unimpressed by Shaka's roster and think this team is at least 2 full seasons of rebuilding away from being even a bubble team.  Some nice freshman to build with, but building block freshman don't win games in the Big East.  Have a really hard time understanding who on this roster is going to score on a consistent basis. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 11:29:36 AM »
I hope to be wrong as well.  But I am completely unimpressed by Shaka's roster and think this team is at least 2 full seasons of rebuilding away from being even a bubble team.  Some nice freshman to build with, but building block freshman don't win games in the Big East.  Have a really hard time understanding who on this roster is going to score on a consistent basis.
Because we know so little.    And the only one who has averaged double figures in DI is Kolek.   In the A-10.   Which is sort of DI.   I have many of the same concerns.   Counting on 3-4 star freshmen to come in and immediately make MU a Big East contender is a leap.   So, as I have said before, for me, this season is about growth and the process.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
Because we know so little.    And the only one who has averaged double figures in DI is Kolek.   In the A-10.   Which is sort of DI.   I have many of the same concerns.   Counting on 3-4 star freshmen to come in and immediately make MU a Big East contender is a leap.   So, as I have said before, for me, this season is about growth and the process.

Yep.  And that is fine.  It is what it is.  I'll be here through the thin (as I have for much of Wojo era when we sucked) and still be here if/when Shaka emerges on the other side.  But that doesn't change the fact that I am wildly unimpressed with the roster and think Shaka did a rather terrible job building a team that is capable of playing in March when he had an unprecedented transfer situation from which to work with.

That all being said, he clearly chose long term growth over short term success, and I respect that.  I just think its a bit of curious move in today's game because maintaining a roster YOY is just so difficult with transfers and guys wanting to make a paycheck.  Half these freshman probably won't be here in two years anyways.   

Bottom line for me , I just don't think this particular team is going to win many games again high major teams.  My predictions reflect that. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2021, 11:43:09 AM »
I wouldn’t say I’m unimpressed. I was hoping for some more immediate impact guys with the transfer portal that would get us on the bubble right away.

Having said that, the most exciting thing for me is that Shaka definitely has a type. We’ve been missing an identity and I think you can see we are getting back to the Buzz/switchable type of style. Long, athletes who are versatile and can defend.

Am I bummed that I probably won’t need to keep an eye on Bracketology much this year? Definitely. But I am a ton more excited for this team and future than if Wojo was still here and we ran it back with the same roster from last year.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
H: Illinois: W
N:Ole Miss (Charleston): W
N:Charleston game 2: W
N: Charleston game 3: L
A: UW-Madison Extension: W
A: Kansas St: W
—BE CONF GAMES—
H: UConn: W
A: St John’s: W
A: Georgetown W
H: Seton Hall: W
A: Nova: L
H: Xavier: W
A: Seton hall: W
A: providence: L
H: Nova: W
A: butler: W
A: Creighton: W
A: DePaul: W
H: St. John’s: W

Total W-L: 25-6 (16-4 BE; Lose to Nova BE Finals; Elite 8 [beat Bradley, beat Virginia, beat Purdue, lose to Michigan])

Biggest impact player: Morsell - co-BEPOY w/ Gillespe

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2021, 12:25:53 PM »
Yep.  And that is fine.  It is what it is.  I'll be here through the thin (as I have for much of Wojo era when we sucked) and still be here if/when Shaka emerges on the other side.  But that doesn't change the fact that I am wildly unimpressed with the roster and think Shaka did a rather terrible job building a team that is capable of playing in March when he had an unprecedented transfer situation from which to work with.

That all being said, he clearly chose long term growth over short term success, and I respect that.  I just think its a bit of curious move in today's game because maintaining a roster YOY is just so difficult with transfers and guys wanting to make a paycheck.  Half these freshman probably won't be here in two years anyways.   

Bottom line for me , I just don't think this particular team is going to win many games again high major teams.  My predictions reflect that. I sincerely hope to be proven wrong. 

I think you are greatly discounting having the Big Ten DPOY, a contender for National DPOY this season, leading the attack.  Plus a guy like Kur in the middle cleaning up messes. 

Tyler Kolek & Justin Lewis have just enough seasoning in this new world of college basketball that when you take those four and add in Greg Elliott, you can see a closing 5 that can win a few games. 

We will absolutely be checking Bracketology.  We're no lock but we're also not DePaul.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »
Thanks, UWW & Brew.

feedback