[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You Know Your Teams Young When.......  (Read 6247 times)

TedBaxter

• All American
You Know Your Teams Young When.......
« on: September 06, 2021, 06:06:50 PM »
The 5th oldest player on the team is a true freshman (Kam Jones).  The 4th oldest is a sophomore with freshman eligibility (Tyler Kolek).
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MU82

• All American
Re: You Know Your Teams Young When.......
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:38:21 PM »
Those are facts, and they're real and they matter.

Of course, they also could be considered "excuses," and we don't tolerate those.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 06:51:12 PM »
Those are facts, and they're real and they matter.

Of course, they also could be considered "excuses," and we don't tolerate those.

I'm not one of those on this board that bitch and moan about everything Marquette and am not offering this as an excuse. 

The team is young and inexperienced, but I enjoy the building of the program more than most.  I am patient.  I feel like transfers happen going in a program and going out of a program, but truly believe Marquette will only be successful if it is able to keep most of its players and this is what killed the previous regime.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 07:05:43 PM »
I'm not one of those on this board that bitch and moan about everything Marquette and am not offering this as an excuse. 

The team is young and inexperienced, but I enjoy the building of the program more than most.  I am patient.  I feel like transfers happen going in a program and going out of a program, but truly believe Marquette will only be successful if it is able to keep most of its players and this is what killed the previous regime.

Reasonable, Ted. And I agree.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 07:27:44 PM »
I said months ago that this season will be about the process and not the record.

It is entirely possible that every one of our inexperienced players reaches their maximum potential this season.   But that isn't where you should place large sums of money.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »
The 5th oldest player on the team is a true freshman (Kam Jones).  The 4th oldest is a sophomore with freshman eligibility (Tyler Kolek).
Though, Tyler is almost 21…..

panda

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 09:03:33 PM »
I like the spine of this team. I think everyone is really going to love Kuath and Morsell. KK will be one of the best interior defenders in the conference and everyone is familiar with Morsell’s game. Those two will set the tone and let the younger players grow into their own game.

A lot of us have been programmed by the Wojo droids to “trust the process.” This team has the possibility to overachieve (top 5 in BE) if they all buy in defensively.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »
I like the spine of this team. I think everyone is really going to love Kuath and Morsell. KK will be one of the best interior defenders in the conference and everyone is familiar with Morsell’s game. Those two will set the tone and let the younger players grow into their own game.

A lot of us have been programmed by the Wojo droids to “trust the process.” This team has the possibility to overachieve (top 5 in BE) if they all buy in defensively.

Well said panda.  It's all about the defensive end.  If we have that cohesion and can rebound the ball I do think we could surprise people.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »

Wojo is ancient history and has absolutely nothing to do with me wondering if we're good enough to reach the NCAAs. I've only been "programmed" by realistic expectations after watching coaches most would consider very good (or even great) not winning big their first year at a new school.

Coaches like Beard, Buzz, Wright, K, Beilein, Sampson, Howland, etc etc etc. I obviously hope Shaka does better than Sampson did in Sampson's first 3 seasons at Houston ... or better than Howland did in Howland's first 2 seasons at Pitt, first season at UCLA and first 3 seasons at Mississippi State ... but I tend to be pretty pragmatic about these things.

The only Marquette players I've seen for more than a 2-minute highlight video are Lewis, Elliott and Morsell, so I haven't made any predictions at all.

I do predict I will be quite satisfied if the season goes as well as you think it could. That would be great!

We Are Marquette!

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »
Wojo is ancient history and has absolutely nothing to do with me wondering if we're good enough to reach the NCAAs. I've only been "programmed" by realistic expectations after watching coaches most would consider very good (or even great) not winning big their first year at a new school.

Coaches like Beard, Buzz, Wright, K, Beilein, Sampson, Howland, etc etc etc. I obviously hope Shaka does better than Sampson did in Sampson's first 3 seasons at Houston ... or better than Howland did in Howland's first 2 seasons at Pitt, first season at UCLA and first 3 seasons at Mississippi State ... but I tend to be pretty pragmatic about these things.

The only Marquette players I've seen for more than a 2-minute highlight video are Lewis, Elliott and Morsell, so I haven't made any predictions at all.

I do predict I will be quite satisfied if the season goes as well as you think it could. That would be great!

We Are Marquette!

Immediate eligibility for transfers makes winning right away much more realistic.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
Immediate eligibility for transfers makes winning right away much more realistic.

Assuming your best player doesn't immediately transfer as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 09:17:43 AM »

Assuming your best player doesn't immediately transfer as well.

Two of our best players transferred and we replaced them immediately.

As I said before, jury is out on this years roster, but I believe with the new players coming in, we can be competitive.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »
Athlon magazine (remember going to the news stand to get all of the college basketball magazines?)  projects a 9th place finish for MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:17 AM »
Athlon magazine (remember going to the news stand to get all of the college basketball magazines?)  projects a 9th place finish for MU.

Thats about right, they played the TBT team, score after the first period, 25-4.  Played competitively the rest of the way, lost by 20 or so.  Best player was
Stevie Mitchell.  Kurth was lost trying to guard Jamil, they do not play a center.  O-Max was not very good.  Diener lit them up.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »

Nice!  Bulletin board material!   

We need a three Amigos type of freshman year to be good this year.  Hopefully a couple of the newbies are three amigos good right off the bat or 9th place may be correct. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2021, 09:38:15 AM »
Thats about right, they played the TBT team, score after the first period, 25-4.  Played competitively the rest of the way, lost by 20 or so.  Best player was
Stevie Mitchell.  Kurth was lost trying to guard Jamil, they do not play a center.  O-Max was not very good.  Diener lit them up.

That’s disappointing to hear.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »

9th would be a very good finish for this team.  Youth isn’t an excuse
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 09:56:00 AM »
All we have to do is be better than the other team on the floor and we will win.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2021, 09:58:25 AM »
Guess we don't have to play the season now.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »

Sources say that every other team in the conference (and the country) also benefited from immediate eligibility for transfers, and many of those teams didn't lose their best two players, but I truly hope you're right.

Soon enough, we'll see!

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2021, 10:01:47 AM »
All we have to do is be better than the other team on the floor and we will win.

Not true, I've seen the better team lose plenty of times just out of bad luck!    I think if they can score more points that the team they're playing, they will get wins.  At the very least, if we're relying on our defense, they need to keep the other team from scoring more than them.

If they can do either one of these, I think we should see some wins this season.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 10:31:46 AM »

The tbt team would be a leading competitor for the national championship. So that's really no surprise. They would smoke any big east team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 10:36:38 AM »
Thats about right, they played the TBT team, score after the first period, 25-4.  Played competitively the rest of the way, lost by 20 30 or so.  Best player was

FIFY
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
The tbt team would be a leading competitor for the national championship. So that's really no surprise. They would smoke any big east team.

One of Wojo's teams (I think Year 6) beat that year's TBT team. It was by a decent margin as well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 10:39:36 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2021, 10:44:31 AM »
Hopefully a lot of weaknesses were exposed that need to be worked on.