[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Welcome Mr. Jones  (Read 16765 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Welcome Mr. Jones
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2021, 08:03:59 AM »
I am really looking forward to seeing an in-your-face point guard next season. My guess is that Muggsy is especially happy that Sean is 5'10" . Hopefully the "what the Hell! - Shaka can't get any '22 recruits" buzz will stop.

Welcome to the family Mr. Jones!  Go MU!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2021, 10:07:07 AM »
I am really looking forward to seeing an in-your-face point guard next season. My guess is that Muggsy is especially happy that Sean is 5'10" . Hopefully the "what the Hell! - Shaka can't get any '22 recruits" buzz will stop.

All I care about is if the guy can ball Scoop Snoop.  I am not really biased towards shorter players.  Believe me I would like 12 Dwyane Wade's every year.  What bothers me are those that besmirch diminutive people for no reason whatsoever or automatically assume they can't play. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2021, 10:32:16 AM »
All I care about is if the guy can ball Scoop Snoop.  I am not really biased towards shorter players.  Believe me I would like 12 Dwyane Wade's every year.  What bothers me are those that besmirch diminutive people for no reason whatsoever or automatically assume they can't play.

Agree. No offense intended Muggs.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2021, 10:47:25 AM »
Agree. No offense intended Muggs.

No offense taken at all!  We also shouldn't pigeon hole players based on size.  Mr.  Jones plays a much different game than say Rowsey, Howard, Acker, or Hutch.  I like quickness and blow by speed.  The ability to create, and at the same time disrupt defensively, can lead to tremendous success .  I see a young man with excellent handles and comfortable attacking downhill.  We haven't had this in awhile scoop snoop.  :)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2021, 11:17:09 AM »
No offense taken at all!  We also shouldn't pigeon hole players based on size.  Mr.  Jones plays a much different game than say Rowsey, Howard, Acker, or Hutch.  I like quickness and blow by speed.  The ability to create, and at the same time disrupt defensively, can lead to tremendous success .  I see a young man with excellent handles and comfortable attacking downhill.  We haven't had this in awhile scoop snoop.  :)

You hit on quite a number of often missing things that drove me up the wall during Wojo's reign. If, despite a solid defensive effort, an opponent scores on Marquette, at least make him earn it! Although I remain very cautious in my expectations this coming season, it is going to be fun to watch the team gel, especially the defense. I think some fans view defense as boring, especially if the final score is low. I love great defensive teams. Remember Chris Beard's TT in the NC vs. UVA? They were ferocious!

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2021, 11:36:10 AM »
You hit on quite a number of often missing things that drove me up the wall during Wojo's reign. If, despite a solid defensive effort, an opponent scores on Marquette, at least make him earn it! Although I remain very cautious in my expectations this coming season, it is going to be fun to watch the team gel, especially the defense. I think some fans view defense as boring, especially if the final score is low. I love great defensive teams. Remember Chris Beard's TT in the NC vs. UVA? They were ferocious!

Ferocity a.k.a. tenacity pumps me up on the defensive end.   I wish there were more videos of the real Muggsy driving guys nuts when they brought the ball up the court.  Rex Chapman said the only guys he couldn't guard were Magic and Gary Payton.  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2021, 01:49:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8P6GoTO4WE

He didn't exactly break down an opponent on the dribble there, but if we count it ... that's one!

I admired Derrick for his attitude and hard work during his time at Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2021, 01:57:09 PM »
I look forward to seeing him play at MU.   He seems like the kind of dynamic 2 way PG that has been absent for some time.

His size makes me wonder about big picture things like how Coach Smart is going to defend the high pick and roll.   And whether young Mr. Jones is going to be able to fight through a Villanova pick to stay on their next Brunson and not switched on to their next Robinson-Earl.

I am looking forward to it.   He looks like a Warrior.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2021, 08:17:13 AM »
Scholarship table updated:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=page4655

Note, I left 1 scholarship in 2021-2022, even though unless something radical happens there's really 3 left for 2022 and 0 this year.

That seems like unnecessary caution, but you're the boss.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2021, 03:47:24 PM »
I think the difference between Mr. Jones and the previous 5'10 PG stories at MU is that he is known as a defensive plus whereas the the ones under Wojo were known for their offensive prowess. That doesn't make him better or worse (though I seriously doubt he'll be as good as Howard or Rowdy), just different.

Rowdy couldn't guard my grandmother.  What he gave us on offense he more than gave back on defense.

Howard a greater scorer, wasn't much better on "D".  Exciting but not what you can build a winner on, sad to say.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
5 10 3 star eh

Interesting post for someone who has a 3/4 star, 6' 6" power forward as his profile pic...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »

Howard a greater scorer, wasn't much better on "D".  Exciting but not what you can build a winner on, sad to say.

Absurd.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2021, 08:01:18 PM »
Interesting post for someone who has a 3/4 star, 6' 6" power forward as his profile pic...
I think you're missing the sarcasm
Goal is National Championship

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »
Absurd.

We won how many postseason games with Markus here?

Refresh my memory, please.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
I think you're missing the sarcasm

My apologies.  It wasn't in teal and I missed it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2021, 10:37:31 AM »

Two.  And one postseason was cancelled.

But you are making a poor argument that postseason success is determined by one player.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2021, 10:50:47 AM »

Two.  And one postseason was cancelled.

But you are making a poor argument that postseason success is determined by one player.

Two in the NIT.  That's fair.  But a doughnut in the NCAAs.  I should have asked the question more specifically.

You are correct on Markus being only one player in a team sport.  No doubt.  But a lot of that goes to coaching, as Markus was made THE one player on the team by Wojo.  That said, be it one player or a floor full of them, being able to shoot the lights out but not stop anyone, has not usually been a successful strategy.  Again, very fun to watch but not a strategy that is the foundation for winning.  My opinion.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2021, 10:54:34 AM »
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/markus-howard-1.html

Markus Howard DRtg improved 14 pp100 once Rowsey left.  Rowsey was a bad defender, Markus got a rep as a bad defender because he was of similar stature and played with Rowsey for two years.  Once Rowsey was gone, Markus was more than serviceable on that end.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
IMHO, major difference between Markus and Rowsey on D.

Markus became a decent defensive player. He usually stayed in front of his man, he became quite good at drawing charges, he had deflections, he closed out on shooters, etc. He was limited by his size; when he closed out, it wasn't the same as a 6-7 guy closing out. But he was a willing defender who didn't embarrass himself on D, especially as a senior.

Rowsey? Loved watching him become a dangerous offensive player, but he barely even bothered trying to play defense. 
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2021, 11:12:41 AM »
Two in the NIT.  That's fair.  But a doughnut in the NCAAs.  I should have asked the question more specifically.

You are correct on Markus being only one player in a team sport.  No doubt.  But a lot of that goes to coaching, as Markus was made THE one player on the team by Wojo.  That said, be it one player or a floor full of them, being able to shoot the lights out but not stop anyone, has not usually been a successful strategy.  Again, very fun to watch but not a strategy that is the foundation for winning.  My opinion.

That's not a Markus Howard problem.  That's a Wojo problem.  You can definitely "build a winner" on Howard with the right coaching.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2021, 11:25:01 AM »

That's not a Markus Howard problem.  That's a Wojo problem.  You can definitely "build a winner" on Howard with the right coaching.

I really wish we could have seen that...  He was such a talent and great representative of MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2021, 11:37:42 AM »

To be fair he had one opportunity as "the player". It's disengenuous to say he was the go to guy on the 2017 year. That team collectively got there and collectively crapped the bed.

So as "the guy" he went 0-1 in ncaa tournament appearances
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2021, 12:07:02 PM »
Welcome Mr. Jones. Let's get you some NIL $$

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2021, 06:36:30 PM »

It wasn't a Howard problem. It was a team construction and coaching problem.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2021, 08:42:10 PM »
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/markus-howard-1.html

Markus Howard DRtg improved 14 pp100 once Rowsey left.  Rowsey was a bad defender, Markus got a rep as a bad defender because he was of similar stature and played with Rowsey for two years.  Once Rowsey was gone, Markus was more than serviceable on that end.

The biggest problem with Rowsey and Howard was Markus ended up defending the opponent's best guard every night. That's not a recipe for success.

Though "not a recipe for success" describes Wojo's tenure on the whole.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback