[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Aina? 2.0  (Read 2683 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Aina? 2.0
« on: August 08, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
Re: Aina? 2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 11:53:03 AM »
I was actually interested in reading this Herman and couldn't believe folks could drag this down the rabbit hole.  ::)

I use several Wisconsinisms.  Dang proud to be from here and poking a little fun at ourselves is healthy, doncha think?  You betcha, eh.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 12:13:02 PM »
Ope, sorry!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
As someone who grew up in NE Wisconsin, I have spent my adult life trying to eliminate these from my lexicon in professional settings  ;D

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
My fav milw term is "bubbler". Unique term and cool sounding word.

Houston is not "pop" nor "soda", its simply "coke"...for everything. My Grandchild goes to the fridge and asks for an orange coke.

Around the state its a "service road", "access road" or "frontage road"..running parallel to our freeway, ....
but unique to only the Houston area we call them "feeders".

The original Houston accent is a softened east Texas southern twang, but with our growth over time, we are blended into almost no accent....mass migration and diversity has watered us to almost standard american english, ....Dennis Quaid is a Houston accent

but just as a native drops the L in Milwaukee, ie Mwaukee, a Houstonian lives in Youston
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 04:47:15 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »
I was actually interested in reading this Herman and couldn't believe folks could drag this down the rabbit hole.  ::)

I use several Wisconsinisms.  Dang proud to be from here and poking a little fun at ourselves is healthy, doncha think?  You betcha, eh.

Pa, ewe goin' up nort anytime soon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »

Pa, ewe goin' up nort anytime soon, hey?

Eagle River through Wednesday. Heaven on Earth, aina?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
AFAIK, Milwaukee is the only place where people eat bakery, everywhere is that is the place that makes the donuts.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
As someone who grew up in NE Wisconsin, I have spent my adult life trying to eliminate these from my lexicon in professional settings  ;D

Agreed, and did the same.  One of the great things about being retired.  :)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 11:17:46 AM »
AFAIK, Milwaukee is the only place where people eat bakery, everywhere is that is the place that makes the donuts.

I spent almost 7 years in Milwaukee and I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

I do remember the first time I heard "bubbler" - it was my first day at McCormick. I was shocked someone would be so brazen as to walk around asking people "where is the bubbler". Only later did I find out he just wanted some water.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2021, 01:56:46 PM »
I spent almost 7 years in Milwaukee and I don't think I've ever heard that one before.

I do remember the first time I heard "bubbler" - it was my first day at McCormick. I was shocked someone would be so brazen as to walk around asking people "where is the bubbler". Only later did I find out he just wanted some water.

Ive lived in the greater Milwaukee area for a good portion of my life and Ive NEVER heard "bakery" be used for donuts or other baked goods.  My mom's side of the family is from the Southside, my Dad's is from Sheboygan and the north side and nary a word of it.

Ive also spent chunks of my young adult life trying to rid myself of Wisconsin-isms, much less the accent which thankfully I never had.  But bubbler was one of the hardest to drop.  It finally happened once I started working in a professional setting and people were always baffled.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2021, 02:04:01 PM »
Thirty years ago, I would hear old people call baked goods "bakery."  Probably the same people who called a sofa a "davenport," and the living room a "front room."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »
Ive lived in the greater Milwaukee area for a good portion of my life and Ive NEVER heard "bakery" be used for donuts or other baked goods.  My mom's side of the family is from the Southside, my Dad's is from Sheboygan and the north side and nary a word of it.

Ive also spent chunks of my young adult life trying to rid myself of Wisconsin-isms, much less the accent which thankfully I never had.  But bubbler was one of the hardest to drop.  It finally happened once I started working in a professional setting and people were always baffled.

*nods along*

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2021, 03:13:16 PM »
Thirty years ago, I would hear old people call baked goods "bakery."  Probably the same people who called a sofa a "davenport," and the living room a "front room."

exactly

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2021, 07:52:00 PM »

Exactly like my grandma taught me to say it in Bay View down by the lake!  :)  All three words were common lexicon.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
Bakery was big thing out by Delafield , Oconamowoc and Waukesha area back in late 70s early 80s 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 07:21:05 AM by Herman Cain »
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:23 AM »
Exactly like my grandma taught me to say it in Bay View down by the lake!  :)  All three words were common lexicon.

Grandma and grandpa raised the family on Delaware St in the 50s and 60s.

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 07:52:10 AM »
Grandma and grandpa raised the family on Delaware St in the 50s and 60s.

Yep.  My dad was raised on 30th St. on the north side til they hit the big time and moved on up to North Avenue in Tosa.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 09:39:57 PM »
Cow spotted  in Car going through McDonald’s Drive through in Marshfield….

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/a-whole-freaking-cow-cow-spotted-in-car-waiting-in-wisconsin-mcdonalds-drive-thru

---Al McGuire

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2021, 09:59:36 AM »
Cow spotted  in Car going through McDonald’s Drive through in Marshfield….

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/a-whole-freaking-cow-cow-spotted-in-car-waiting-in-wisconsin-mcdonalds-drive-thru

Theory 1: the cow had been misbehaving and the driver was demonstrating what would happen to her if she didn't shape up

Theory 2: enough Spotted Cows were consumed that putting a cow in a car seemed a good idea
(New beer idea: Cow in the Car lager, it'll mooove you)
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
Don't pick up hitch-heifers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 10:09:45 AM »
Don't pick up hitch-heifers.

What an underly terrible joke. I guess you’ll milk it for all it’s worth. But don’t blame me if we have a beef with you for awhile.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »
Sir, loin from past interactions.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 11:54:03 AM »
What an underly terrible joke. I guess you’ll milk it for all it’s worth. But don’t blame me if we have a beef with you for awhile.

Why do cows have hooves rather than feet? Because they lactose.

A farmer was milking his cow and saw a fly enter her ear. A few minutes later, the fly came through the teat and landed in the milk bucket. The farmer looked at the fly and said "I guess its true what they say. In one ear and out the udder."
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »
Bakery was big thing out by Delafield , Oconamowoc and Waukesha area back in late 70s early 80s

It really wasn't. I grew up there then and bakery was the physical location where Dottie's was.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.