* Recent Posts

Incoming freshmen by seakm4
[Today at 12:30:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 03, 2024, 11:32:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[June 03, 2024, 11:42:11 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: In a perfect world......  (Read 4878 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
In a perfect world......
« on: August 01, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
Let's talk about this Freshmen class.  Obviously there is a learning curve but I also think it's conceivable they'll step in and be very solid/productive.  If two bring the goods I think this MU team will be far better than expected.  What are you hoping  to see from this group collectively and individually? 

I like Kuath, OMax, and Kolek.  I think our trio of transfers will hold their own and bring tenacity and excitement.

Have we considered any nicknames for our guys?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: In a perfect world......
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
Let's talk about this Freshmen class. 

I like Kuath, OMax, and Kolek.  I think our trio of transfers will hold their own and bring tenacity and excitement.

Not Freshman ;D

Kidding aside, I really like the frosh class, but since even the upperclassmen (also mostly new @ MU) are stepping into a new system,  it's hard for me to see them putting it all together as a team early in the year.   Hopefully they all come together for some nice wins as the season goes on, but I'm expecting a lot of missteps early.

If they exceed that, and show flashes of greatness early, I'll be ecstatic.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 11:41:35 AM »
i hope to see gradual improvement over the year. also hope to see some frosh show flashes of potential. im smelling some bias here. we all want the team to be good next year but i cant see it. could be rough for a bit. not sure how good the big east is next year but id say 6th place finish is absolute maximum Ceiling for these guys. ill go 8th place finish.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2021, 11:56:44 AM »
Lots of three star first years as well as second year players who did not do a ton at a P6 level during their first year. In the Joplin interview, he said there is athleticism and energy.   Great.   And I assume one or more first year players emerge.

Best case?  National championship, undefeated, un-scored upon.

Realistic?  Similar record to last year, but optimism because there are enough flashes to give hope.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
Love your optimism Muggs but there are simply too many ifs, and not just regarding the freshmen but as already noted, the other players too + Shaka getting them to learn his system(s). That's a LOT.

Our best hope (besides your narrative) for a better than expected BE record may be if we luck out on BE scheduling and get both Nova and both UCONN games early in the conference part of the season. Let's admit it- those 4 games are all very highly likely to be losses. This would give our guys a better chance to get some wins against less formidable opponents since they will have more experience both as individuals and, most importantly, as a team. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »
Lots of three star first years as well as second year players who did not do a ton at a P6 level during their first year. In the Joplin interview, he said there is athleticism and energy.   Great.   And I assume one or more first year players emerge.

Realistic?  Similar record to last year, but optimism because there are enough flashes to give hope.

Do you think Kuarh and O-Max could put up better scoring numbers than anticipated?  I expect Morsell to have an excellent season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
Anything is possible.  But where would you honestly put your money?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
Most people upset over losing Bond probably don’t know that Joplin dropped 41 points on his team in the regional final game this year (Bond had 14). It’s easier to be upset over the player we didn’t get, but I think Joplin will contribute a lot more than many expect this year as a stretch forward.

The guards are all question marks but I’m excited for the fresh look to the team.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2021, 12:20:28 PM »
Anything is possible.  But where would you honestly put your money?

I dunno....I was thinking between them 18 ppg and 15 rebs.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »
No expectations. Too young, completely new roster, new coach. Watch and see how the season unfolds
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 01:40:14 PM »
Most people upset over losing Bond probably don’t know that Joplin dropped 41 points on his team in the regional final game this year (Bond had 14). It’s easier to be upset over the player we didn’t get, but I think Joplin will contribute a lot more than many expect this year as a stretch forward.

The guards are all question marks but I’m excited for the fresh look to the team.
Do they ply the same position?
Did they guard each other?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 02:21:48 PM »

In a perfect world.....you nailed it!

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 03:14:12 PM »
but you realize if they won each game 50-0, people would complain about the lack of offense.
And, if they won each game 100-10, people would say the offense looks like it's coming around, but defense looks suspect.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 03:32:07 PM »
The season is going to come down to the half dozen games that are not decided before the final two minutes.
Go 4-2 in those games probably means a good season.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2021, 03:55:19 PM »
Extremely young and inexperienced, nobody with a big resume’ or reputation - so no expectations regarding record or our place in the standings. If we play hard and with cohesion, I’ll be happy and optimistic going forward. If not, I’ll be worried.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 04:03:15 PM »
Extremely young and inexperienced, nobody with a big resume’ or reputation - so no expectations regarding record or our place in the standings. If we play hard and with cohesion, I’ll be happy and optimistic going forward. If not, I’ll be worried.

This is where I am at too.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »
For some reason (in addition to his injury) JLew lost his way during the course of last season.  We're talking about a very talented kid with a myriad of skills on both ends of the floor.   He got way too 3 happy imo and his shooting slumped.   

I expect the young man to rebound quite strongly and put up some formidable numbers as well as defend much better.  One concern I have is we have some up front players that may have overlapping skill sets.  I wish Cain had come back but maybe Joplin, O-Max, Kuath, and Oso with all of our guards will be enough. 

We are young but have a lot of depth on paper.  I'm wondering if Morsell and JLew can consistently score the ball and who else will emerge on that front?  I'm extremely excited to watch this team despite the unknowns and have confidence that we will turn the corner so to speak much more quickly than people expect.  Think of Wade crossing over some poor sap in the dust.  MU will absolutely bounce back but we do need to exercise some patience.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »
Let's talk about this Freshmen class.  Obviously there is a learning curve but I also think it's conceivable they'll step in and be very solid/productive.  If two bring the goods I think this MU team will be far better than expected.  What are you hoping  to see from this group collectively and individually? 

Have we considered any nicknames for our guys?

I look at all freshman as prospects. I like to see how they do in non conference before rendering any analysis . The jump from high school to college is a big one and some can make the transition faster than others. That said, I think by the end of non conference season, one freshman will emerge as a rotation and ,by the end of the season,  another one will also be in the rotation. That is more a function of the fact that we have 5 freshman in the class, then any judgement on their abilities.

I do like that the 5 man freshman all seem to have different skills. So if they come together and grow as a group they have an interesting potential for team chemistry.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 04:23:15 PM »

Well stated.  I agree.

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 04:28:06 PM »

Darryl Morsell won the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year last season and was a two-time all-conference selection in the Big Ten.

Also, Morsell is just 1 of 16 players in Maryland basketball history with 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 100 starts.

https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/darryl-morsell/6659

blue and gold

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 04:33:52 PM »

Furthermore, Tyler Kolek is the reigning A10 Freshman of the Year and O-Max  played on Team Canada in the 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup this summer.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2021, 04:36:12 PM »
No expectations. Too young, completely new roster, new coach. Watch and see how the season unfolds

Agree. Don’t expect much

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2021, 06:39:49 PM »
Figurin' dale surprize ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
I look at all freshman as prospects. I like to see how they do in non conference before rendering any analysis . The jump from high school to college is a big one and some can make the transition faster than others. That said, I think by the end of non conference season, one freshman will emerge as a rotation and ,by the end of the season,  another one will also be in the rotation. That is more a function of the fact that we have 5 freshman in the class, then any judgement on their abilities.

I do like that the 5 man freshman all seem to have different skills. So if they come together and grow as a group they have an interesting potential for team chemistry.
I seen several players at MU look good in non-conference not perform well in the Big East.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2021, 08:51:14 PM »

This. I'd be overjoyed with a team that could challenge for a NCAA berth, but my realistic hope is play hard, compete, and show flashes of what our young core can become.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback