[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules  (Read 24753 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:03:11 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2021/06/23/ncaa-name-image-and-likeness-policy/5329548001/

Gotta love this.  The NCAA has been fighting this uphill battle for YEARS, and has been studying and looking at developing a policy for MONTHS, yet could not come up with anything, so now it looks as though they are just going to lift all rules and leave it up to the schools.

Run by idiots.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
Re: NCAA Might Lift All NIL Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 08:03:52 AM »
Oh and labelling this as a "temporary solution" is cute.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2021/06/23/ncaa-name-image-and-likeness-policy/5329548001/

Gotta love this.  The NCAA has been fighting this uphill battle for YEARS, and has been studying and looking at developing a policy for MONTHS, yet could not come up with anything, so now it looks as though they are just going to lift all rules and leave it up to the schools.

Run by idiots.

IMO they're willingly taking a back seat here and waiting to see how it works with a patchwork approach... with the hope that it is grossly unequal so they can swoop in say 'I told you this was a bad idea'.  And if it goes well they'll say 'it was time'.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »
Coach compensation not being equal = Not a problem
TV contracts not being equal = What can you do?
Player NIL payments not being equal = WE HAVE TO FIX THIS!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 08:44:38 AM »
Coach compensation not being equal = Not a problem
TV contracts not being equal = What can you do?
Player NIL payments not being equal = WE HAVE TO FIX THIS!!!

It’s hard to believe people still carry water for the NCAA.  Baffling, really
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 09:12:57 AM »
I guess will see how this affects team cohesiveness. One player is getting x dollars for his NIL, another player is only getting .5x for his NIL, all the other players are not making anything on their NIL and decide to transfer immediately because they can make something off their NIL elsewhere. Team forfeits season because they have only two players.

Will FOX/ESPN have to pay players royalties when they use their image to promote a game? Will other players feel short changed because of a lack of exposure? Will this only exacerbate the Hausers vs Howard feud dynamic?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:23:45 AM by muwarrior69 »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
I guess will see how this affects team cohesiveness. One player is getting x dollars for his NIL, another player is only getting .5x for his NIL, all the other players are not making anything on their NIL and decide to transfer immediately because they can make something off their NIL elsewhere. Team forfeits season because they have only two players.

Will FOX/ESPN have to pay players royalties when they use their image to promote a game? Will other players feel short changed because of a lack of exposure? Will this only exacerbate the Hausers vs Howard feud dynamic?

In what athletic setting are all players paid the same?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 09:43:03 AM »

LOI's will include language that permits the Universities and their partners to use players NIL in prescribed capacities.  MLB, NFL, NBA & NHL have been doing this since their inception.  It's boilerplate.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 09:50:56 AM »

Do you have these same concerns for professional athletes? Cause Aaron Rodgers makes a lot more on his NIL then Billy Turner does.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »
Do you have these same concerns for professional athletes? Cause Aaron Rodgers makes a lot more on his NIL then Billy Turner does.

LOL, the lowest paid NFL player make more in one year than the median family makes in 8 years. So no; and most college football or basketball players will make nothing from their NIL and everyone knows NFL players don't play for nothing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 10:16:10 AM »
LOL, the lowest paid NFL player make more in one year than the median family makes in 8 years. So no; and most college football or basketball players will make nothing from their NIL and everyone knows NFL players don't play for nothing.

So only college players get jealous of their teammates making more than they do? Professional athletes don't get jealous when their teammates are making more than them? Professionals don't leave one team because they can make more with another team? Professionals don't feel shortchanged because of a lack of exposure compared to their teammates?

Personally I think some, probably most of them do...but they still somehow seem to put cohesive teams on the floor every night.
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
So only college players get jealous of their teammates making more than they do? Professional athletes don't get jealous when their teammates are making more than them? Professionals don't leave one team because they can make more with another team? Professionals don't feel shortchanged because of a lack of exposure compared to their teammates?

Personally I think some, probably most of them do...but they still somehow seem to put cohesive teams on the floor every night.

Of course there will be jealousy.  It’s human nature.  Teammates are often jealous of others for a variety of reasons.  It’s why there are coaches.  It’s a weak argument from the Pollyanna crowd

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 12:11:30 PM »
This is where an enterprising donor calling the Garcia family and promising an advertising deal that exceeds the G League minimum would be a savvy move.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »

Run by idiots.

Emmert = Rob Manfred.  :)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »

...because the guys that get minutes are all paid very well. As many of you say it may all work out for the college players. We will just have to wait and see. I just have my doubts this will end well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »
...because the guys that get minutes are all paid very well. As many of you say it may all work out for the college players. We will just have to wait and see. I just have my doubts this will end well.

I didn't know that once you reach a certain pay threshold, jealousy goes away. Someone should tell Gordon Gecko.

But you seem to be saying that college players aren't paid well. So do you think that should be remedied?
TAMU

GOO

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2021, 03:45:25 PM »
I may become an even bigger fan of the Ivy League. One of the few that haven't sold their souls.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2021, 04:17:11 PM »
I may become an even bigger fan of the Ivy League. One of the few that haven't sold their souls.

What do you mean by "sold their souls?" 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 04:17:41 PM »

Marquette sold their soul decades ago.  What’s the hold up?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2021, 04:18:17 PM »
I get that the NCAA is not perfect but they truly do a great job with like 95% of the students they oversee. These 'fly by' critics who label the NCAA 'the worst organization ever' are clueless about what it does. It is lazy to only talk about men's Big East basketball players and SEC football players. Nobody discusses the women's swim team at Southern Illinois or the like.

Also, it is good to remember that the NCAA is not an independent organization, it is the group of universities who choose to join like Marquette. The angst should be focused on the universities not the NCAA. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2021, 04:21:48 PM »
I get that the NCAA is not perfect but they truly do a great job with like 95% of the students they oversee. These 'fly by' critics who label the NCAA 'the worst organization ever' are clueless about what it does. It is lazy to only talk about men's Big East basketball players and SEC football players. Nobody discusses the women's swim team at Southern Illinois or the like.

Also, it is good to remember that the NCAA is not an independent organization, it is the group of universities who choose to join like Marquette. The angst should be focused on the universities not the NCAA. 

It's not the worst organization ever, and it has been starved by its members, but the organization and its members never seemed to see the writing on the wall and have come up with a solution that's not much of a solution.  It has handed this issue incompetently, expecting Congress and the courts to save them instead of reading the room and figuring out that was never going to happen because amateurism is an outdated concept that people don't care about.  Poor leadership all around.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »

Members of the women’s swim at Southern Illinois can now earn money off their name, image and likeness that the NCAA and their member institutes prohibited for decades.  This isn’t just about Big East basketball and SEC football.  Universities sign off on what the NCAA does.  It’s all the same

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 04:24:16 PM »
Nobody discusses the women's swim team at Southern Illinois or the like.

I'll go on record as saying that they don't do a good job with the women's swim team at Southern Illinois on the NIL issue either.

The NCAA does many things well. They have bungled NIL from the beginning. And when I say NCAA, I mean the organization and the member schools that make up the organization.
TAMU

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 04:34:52 PM »
Not much of a difference in the NCAA handling new issues vs. how the NFL approaches things.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 04:47:48 PM »
Going to be funny when a Simone Biles type from a non/low revenue sport makes like 5 times the top athlete at Alabama.

feedback