[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Supreme Court rules against NCAA compensation rules  (Read 1246 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Supreme Court rules against NCAA compensation rules
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:26:04 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/21/us/supreme-court-ncaa-student-athletes.html

The Supreme Court unanimously ruled on Monday that the N.C.A.A. cannot bar relatively modest payments to student-athletes in the name of amateurism. The decision, based on antitrust law, came as the business model of college sports is under increasing pressure.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Supreme Court rules against NCAA compensation rules
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 10:43:00 AM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:51:30 AM »
Favorite line from the decision:

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing to not pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate."

And if you didn't notice, the highest court in the land just referred to NCAA athletes as workers, not students.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:20:31 AM »
Favorite line from the decision:

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing to not pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate."

And if you didn't notice, the highest court in the land just referred to NCAA athletes as workers, not students.

I fully expected this kind of ruling, but thought it would win with 6 or 7 votes.

The fact that Gorsuch voted with the majority shows what a slam dunk this was. May be the 1st time in his life he voted for the "workers".

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 11:23:13 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/21/us/supreme-court-ncaa-student-athletes.html

The Supreme Court unanimously ruled on Monday that the N.C.A.A. cannot bar relatively modest payments to student-athletes in the name of amateurism. The decision, based on antitrust law, came as the business model of college sports is under increasing pressure.

but those payments must specifically be for educational expenses, not a salary or revenue sharing. Many of those expenses were already provided via the Opportunity Fund.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 11:44:37 AM »
I fully expected this kind of ruling, but thought it would win with 6 or 7 votes.

The fact that Gorsuch voted with the majority shows what a slam dunk this was. May be the 1st time in his life he voted for the "workers".

I'd say his ruling was very consistent with a pro-free market viewpoint.
Slightly off-topic, but if the last year or so has taught us anything, it's that the some of the histrionics from the left about the Trump appointees was terribly misguided. Except for the fact Kavanaugh has proven to be a bit bumbling and over his head, these aren't the justices MAGA world thought they were getting.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but if the last year or so has taught us anything, it's that the some of the histrionics from the left about the Trump appointees was terribly misguided. Except for the fact Kavanaugh has proven to be a bit bumbling and over his head, these aren't the justices MAGA world thought they were getting.

I’d have to agree with you. As far as Kavanaugh is concerned, most new justices try to keep a lower profile their 1st few years.

He has been much more centrist than most expected. But when the tires hit the road (cases on abortion and guns), we will find out where this court really stands - a little right of center or far right.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 12:38:37 PM »
Lotsa folks whistling past the graveyard
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 06:35:44 PM »

Totally agree, and I was one of the guilty parties. I remember speculating that the previous president chose Barrett only after she agreed to support any election challenge by him. I'm glad she proved me wrong.

And agree about Kavanaugh, though so far it appears that he is a Roberts guy who will usually follow what Chief Justice does.

Having said all that, there will be plenty of decisions that I (and I'm guessing you) won't like, but it's nice that it won't be because of the previous president. It looks like he chose 3 people that any GOP president might have selected; it was McConnell, and not the previous president, who really reshaped the courts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 05:12:02 AM »
I’d have to agree with you. As far as Kavanaugh is concerned, most new justices try to keep a lower profile their 1st few years.

He has been much more centrist than most expected. But when the tires hit the road (cases on abortion and guns), we will find out where this court really stands - a little right of center or far right.
You might like this from May in The Atlantic.
What I got out of it was Brett was shunned by his country club friends and neighbors after the confirmation.  People who know him say he wants back in their good graces and making radical court rulings won't accomplish that.  He gravitated to Roberts.  Will it continue?

IS BRETT KAVANAUGH OUT FOR REVENGE?
Three years after his polarizing confirmation hearings, the Supreme Court’s 114th justice remains a mystery.

By McKay Coppins

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/06/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court/618717/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 09:49:16 AM »
I'd lay money that Kavanaugh follows Roberts on most of his decisions... like 90%+

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 09:56:53 AM »
A lot of justices, on either side of the political spectrum, take awhile to find their voice.  Kavanaugh wouldn't be the first.

I learned to love following the Supreme Court due to one my favorite MU professors, Christopher Wolfe.  And if there is one thing I learned, it's that justices don't really fit a traditional left / right bloc. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:47:03 AM by MUBurrow »